“Disappointing”

GreenLeadersSilver level
St. Louis, MO
“Disappointing”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Normally, I am more thorough in checking out a hotel before I book a stay, and had I done my homework properly, I would have stayed elsewhere.

The hotel is truly in a lovely location and sits directly on the Inner Harbor. Also, the staff members I came in contact with were very nice. Unfortunately, those are the only positives that I can think of.

My room (#442) had a view of the harbor and came with a small balcony where you could stand and watch the seaplanes fly in and take off. The room, however, was old and dated. The blond furniture was scratched and nicked, and had numerous black scuff marks. The black bedskirt on the bed was stained with some type of white chalky substance. The back of the room door had what looked like water stains. Also, the desk chair in the room was tattered (the top of the chair was made from some type of hemp like material, and the hemp was unraveling), and the remote control for the television was extremely dusty. I had to wipe it off in order to use it - ugh.

The bathroom was extremely dated as well (formica countertops...old tap faucets), but what was concerning to me was the bath/shower combination. Literally, you had to step more than two feet high just to climb in! In order to take a shower, I had to sit on the edge of the bath, swing my legs up and over the tub and then stand up. Honestly, the bath was so high off the ground that anyone would have had trouble getting in and out. Add to the fact that there were no safety railings at all to hold on to, and I ended up feeling a bit concerned as I (or anyone else) could have taken a fall.

I did not eat at their restaurant as I felt their prices were too high, and speaking of prices - 49 cents a minute for the internet in their business center?? .49/minute - are they serious?

The hotel is a short walk from the main part of town (approx. five minutes). If someone has mobility issues, however, that can be a problem, as there are no other means of transport near to the hotel. If you do not rent a vehicle, your only other alternative is to take a cab, which will cost almost $6.00US for a two minute ride.

Again, I did not do my homework, so I have no one to blame but myself for choosing this hotel. I loved visiting the city of Victoria, and will not hesitate to visit again. I'll just make sure to stay at a different hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank MsCleo2313

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (800)
  • Korean first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in Victoria for 2 nights in April. Absolutely beautiful city!

Pros:
Fantastic location; walk to everything
Great views, views and more views
Make sure you take a 5 min. walk to fisherman's warf. Had a great fish & ships lunch at Barb's
Path along harbour is steps from hotel entrance
Access to everything via the walking trails
Restaurant had a beautiful view of harbour & main port. Can't comment in food because I did not eat at hotel

Cons:
Rooms were nice but are due for an update; bathroom was nice and water pressure was perfect
Counter at front desk needed updating. Nice staff.
Very small pool - about 10 meters
Small but very adequate exercise room. Nice weight and cardio machines.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FactChick
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We took the float plane in from Vancouver and flew right into the harbour. Having packed lightly, we were able to walk the short distance to our hotel. There were a few groups there checking in for a wedding who were infront of us, so it took some time to make it up to our room, but as soon as we got up there I opened the sliding door to the patio and was blown away by the view of the harbour. The room was a little old-fashioned with a bed that looked like it was more than ten years old, but the bathroom was large and the staff were excellent. I highly recommend the Inn if you're looking for a place to stay in Victoria on the luxurious side.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed April 12, 2013

The hotel rooms are fabulous with great views of the ocean and the food was awesome but pricey. The one issue I had was that we had an event (where we paid a substantial amount of money) at the hotel and I found out a year later from family members that the restaurant onsite (Aura) turned down my family members from eating breakfast at the hotel because of their appearance and told them they should "eat elsewhere". My grandparents were just trying to help my mom on the day of our event by taking my 11 and 13 year old siblings for something to eat in the morning. I am very disappointed to hear that is what happened. You would think with such a nice hotel they would be respectful of everyone staying at it whether or not they have a lot of money or not.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Parksville, Canada
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We have stayed here before. It is a great harbor front location and the rooms are excellent and always clean. Service excellent too. Down side was that this trip our room was very very noisy from kids running upstairs to elevator to neighbors. Didn't sleep a wink and left feeling frustrated.

• Stayed April 2013
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Location is very good. Our room looked out to the north. Not the inner harbour, but I'm not sure there is a bad view from this hotel. Parking is secure, very accessible and reasonable ($15/nt). Contructive comment: some of the higher traffic areas are showing their wear and need some touch up. A bit of a walk to the inner harbour, but the water taxi is avialbale from the neighboring Coast Hotel and it comes with some interesting harbour commentary. Would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank david p
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The hotel is very clean, the staff very friendly and professional, and my room had a great view of the harbour. I stayed two nights on a business trip, and parking was easy in and out. The rates are also very reasonable this time of year.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business