“good hotel, great location and price”

Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites
Ranked #22 of 47 Hotels in Victoria
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 2, 2010

We wanted a hotel that was close to the harbor, and in the middle of things. This fit the bill just fine. Nice check-in, easy to get around, room was sufficient, lobby bar and little restaurant were nice and easy to use. We'd stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,007)

Reviewed April 26, 2010

This is the 3rd time we've stayed at the Harbour Towers and keep going back for the great location and value. We stayed in a King Suite with a view for $135/night. Pay the extra $20-$30 for the upgrade, its well worth it. We arrived early (around 1:30) and were allowed the early check in. The room is huge, there is a bedroom with a king size bed, and a separate living room with sofa bed, 2 chairs, desk and a kitchenette with table and chairs. The view of the harbour is hard to beat. Contrary to the last review, we found the room and bedding to be very clean, not sure why they had such a bad experience. Only down side is the rooms are not air conditioned, they are cooled with ceiling fans. It was ok when we were there in April but I think it could be hot in the summer. Also the pool and hot tub are small and heavily chlorinated. We had the surf and turf special (Tuesday nights) at Vics, one of the best steaks I've had in a while, and we live in southern Alberta! Grab a brochure on the ferry and you'll get a free appie with your meal (limited selection). All in all, another great stay, we'd likely return on our next trip to the island.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mom_in_butte
Reviewed April 5, 2010

We had stayed here a few years ago with no problems so when I saw a good deal on a travel site I booked a one bedroom suite for six nights. When we got to our room I noticed some weird red splatters on our living room ceiling and the carpet was stained and dirty looking. I didn't pay much attention as everything else looked clean. Also when i booked it said a room wirh a FURNISHED balconey, I even called to double check and the woman assured me that all suites have balconies. Our balconey,if you can call it that, was about 1 foot wide, barely enough room to stand on. Obviously not furnished, but oh well just another in our long list of dissapointments. When we were going to bed I went to flip on the bedside lamp and behind the table there was a used ear plug as well as a condom wrapper. I made my boyfriend pick them up and we went to go to bed. When I pulled up the top quilt there was brown stains, like blood. It was clean but you would think they would throw a quilt out that has blood on it! The rest of the bed looked fine. The next morning I went down to talk to someone about changing rooms. I told her what we found and she gave us another room and informed us we could move all of our things ourselves. We were on vacation for 16 days, we were not packed lightly, so my boyfriend was a little peeved about that. Also we were offered no apology at all, I know it's not her fault but if your job is customer service, service the customers! Our new room had ground in food on the carpet, and again looked like yellow pee stains on the bottom of the quilt. At this point I gave up, we just threw the quilt on the floor when we went to bed, and I ignored the stains. I wasen't in Victoria to argue about freaking hotel rooms. I am not picky, i don't care if furniture is outdated as long as everything is clean. The woman who checked us out was very nice, she asked how our stay was and I told her it wasen't very good. She offered to get the manager but at that point I wanted to get the hell outta there and never look back. In summary I would not stay here again, I would not reccomend it to anyone ever. Next time I will pay a little more and stay at the Royal Scot down the road. Oh yeah on top of the "good deal" I got there is also a parking fee of $12 a night.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DeeTraveller69
HTHGuestExperience, Guest Experience Leader at Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2010

Thank you so much for your comments about your recent stay at Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites. We appreciate that you took the time to express your issues, so that we have the opportunity to resolve them. Please accept our sincere apologies for the fact that we did not create a pleasant experience for you in regards to the cleanliness of your guest room. If you would like to discuss your stay and anything else that we could have done to make this experience better, please call me directly at the hotel.

Reviewed March 24, 2010

I stayed at the Harbour Towers hotel for 2 nights and found the rooms comfortable and clean. The service was friendly and relaxed. Nice location of the hotel - right on the harbour and easy walking distance to downtown, restaurants harbour walk etc.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed March 6, 2010

Walking distance from the Blackball ferry and the central location places all of downtown Victoria within a 15 minute walk. If you want to go further out, I suggest stopping at the Tourist Center to review your transportation options - the staff at the Tourist Center were very patient and helpful.

Try the restaurant (Vics), the local beer and the Caesar cocktail all are excellent

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 15, 2009

We had a wonderful stay at this hotel. We had a two bedroom suite that was so large it reminded me of an apartment. It had a nice size kitchen and living room, a huge master suite with private bathroom and a smaller room with double bed. We would have preferred a queen or 2 singles in the second bedroom. There were 2 tvs so everyone was happy! The staff at the front desk were very helpful and we had a wonderful brunch on Sunday with excellent service at Vic's (the hotel restaurant). Our daughter has Celiac disease and the chef prepares most of the choices gluten free. Great! Super location too.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Betts08
Reviewed December 8, 2009

This hotel was so cute. It was simple and you couldn't call it modern, but it was exactly what we needed for a quick, fun getaway. The room was clean, the staff were kind (though we aren't whiny vacationers so we never had to test how they deal with complaints like "My toilet paper is too rough, I want a free massage at the spa").

The location is one of the absolute best for the quality/price in the area. We had a sunny Saturday which we used to amble on down to the Craigdarroch Castle. We looked in all of the stores and stopped for food on the way there, but if you don't stop and window shop then you could walk it in maybe 20 minutes. Downtown shopping, the waterfront (look for wild seals!), the Parliament building and the Museums were each only one or two blocks away, but the hotel is on a very quiet street so it never felt like being stuck trying to sleep downtown.

The restaurant and bar was fun. They even have a live Jazz band on Friday nights! Barely anyone was even there to listen, which was a shame because they were really good. We enjoyed chatting with our waiter (Kevin) so much on the first night that we made a point of sitting in his section again the next night. I had a problem with my dinner and he resolved it right away.

I hated that it was a pet-friendly hotel. This was almost a deal breaker for us because I know how many lazy pet owners are out there who drag poochie on a vacation and then just dump him in the room all day to go to the bathroom as he sees fit. I called ahead to ask if they had any no-pets rooms and they assumed I must have allergies and offered to do a second pass when cleaning the room to get out any stray dander, smells and hairs. I honestly could not tell that a pet had ever stayed in our room. Kudos, housekeeping.

Beds were very soft which is great if you sleep alone, but rough if you are with someone else. My guy and I each took one bed to ourselves.

We had the all-you-can-eat buffet breakfast which was kind of overpriced for the quality and selection. I don't recommend it unless you are trying to just stock up on greasy, Canadian breakfast as part of some crazy diet.

Oh, and look for the guy on the waterfront by the wax museum selling vendor cart Belgian waffles. He was a sweetheart and my boyfriend went mental for those yummy little waffles.

We had no idea that they even had an indoor pool when we went and I wish that we had because it looked nice and clean.

All in all, if you are laid-back and looking to spend a little touristy or romantic time in Victoria without breaking the bank then I say stay here. If you are looking for an ultra hip place with a crazy night life... ummm.... have fun trying to find it in Victoria.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
HTHGuestExperience, Guest Experience Leader at Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2009

Thank you very much for taking the time to offer your feedback regarding your recent stay at Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites. Your feedback is extremely valuable to us as it is through this input directly from our guests that we are able to continuously strive to deliver a positive and memorable experience for every guest. I am pleased to see that you were extremely satisfied with your overall experience at the Harbour Towers and your positive comments regarding Kevin in the bar.

Please be assured that we will share your positive feedback with our associates and department leaders regarding the service you received during your stay and are grateful for the opportunity to do so. We look forward to welcoming you back soon to Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites.