“Great for a group”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Courtenay, Canada
“Great for a group”
Reviewed December 8, 2008

A student in our group suggested the Harbour Towers and I made the booking on her recommendation. After reading the reviews of this hotel I was a little apprehensive about our upcoming experience but decided to take a chance on the property. Making the group booking with the hotel was easy and Scott was very helpful.

Our group rate (for 5 rooms) was $79 / double queen room (4 students in each room) and $109 for a king suite for a parent chaperon traveling with a baby who wanted more space. Note that my single queen room was the same $79 rate but I think that that rate corresponds with the "up-island" local rate. Parking (unlike other reviews) was free of charge - we were given a chit to put in our vehicle and the hotel was fine with us leaving the vehicles for most of the second day.

Most of the rooms were of average quality but seemed clean and well maintained - none of the major problems mentioned in other reviews. My single queen lacked the fridges that the double queens were equipped with but had a coffee maker with both caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee as well as tea. The bathroom looked like it had been recently renovated and was spotless (see pictures). My room had an overhead ceiling fan and a small balcony with sliding glass doors so I was able to get some fresh air during the night. One of the student rooms had shower that didn't seem to work but was fixed quickly by maintenance.

My only minor concerns were as follows:
There was a slightly "burnt" smell in the room - not sure what the source of that was. There was an imprint of an iron on the carpet and when I used the iron in the morning the smell was similar. Could have been a vacuum cleaner with a full bag as well. Check in was a little slow and often there were line-ups at the front desk as there were only two people trying to deal with the logistics of arranging groups. Our rooms were on several different floors which can make supervising a problem for group travelling.

In addition to our group there were several hockey teams, a rotary group, a couple of wedding/Christmas parties in the hotel. Travelers looking to avoid large groups of young people might want to consider another location. However, the location just blocks away from downtown and the inner harbour is excellent. It is in a relatively quiet part of Victoria with several other hotels in the same area. You can walk to downtown in about 10-15 minutes.

I compared the price of several hotels and had initially decided to go with the Best Western Inner Harbour - it also offers a group rate ($89/room for 4 person occupancy) that includes a continental breakfast as well as underground parking. Harbour Towers does have a breakfast buffet that looked pretty good at about $13/person. Standard egg and bacon breakfasts were available at $10/person and were more than adequate.

In all likelihood if I did another overnight trip to Victoria I'd probably use this hotel again based on the value for money. For personal travel with my wife and family I might go with the Best Western.

• Liked — Location, location, location.
  • Stayed December 2008
1 Thank tripjimbc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (455)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Canada
Reviewed December 7, 2008

We stayed over night after a party we attended.
Small, outdated hotel room.Okay for one night, but would not stay here unless we actually got an upgrade (like we were supposed to on this trip!) Bathroom very small, shower head shakey, but water pressure was AWESOME!
The "view" outside our 2nd floor room was a dirty rooftop ... cigarette butts and garbage, YUCK!
Room service food late night was okay, and delivery staff was friendly, as was the maintenance man that came to fix the TV when the movie channel kept "flickering."
Morning breakfast at the hotel restaurant was not good. Had to constantly ask for 'replacements' on our table (ie. coffee, cream, peanut butter, sauce for eggs, water). One food item was actually "off", if you know what I mean! Also one of our party actually saw a young server pick at her nose before touching the top rim of a coffee cup and placing it into circulation.... GROSS!
Hopefully things will improve here as we plan to stay again next year, same time. Then again, possibly not.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank another_mother
Hemel Hempstead
Reviewed November 16, 2008

Had a one night stay here as a side trip to Vancouver.
Most guests were business clients as there was a few conferences
taking place. Our room was a 2 bedroom suite which was a little dated but had a good view. Found the staff to be helpful and friendly.
Dining room had limited options due to work taking place to kitchen.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — having to pay for parking
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank allgoodbruv
victoria
Reviewed November 11, 2008

We booked as group of 5 couples celebrating our 30 plus year anniversaries. When my husband checked in nothing was made note of that there had been a flood and that 3 couples would be moved to another hotel a block and a half away. We were never told that they (the 3 couples) didn't have to move and that they (the hotel) could of offered to move other guests until we asked that we all be moved to keep us together. The girl at the desk the "shift supervisor" said flatley NO. She said we were offered to move at our check in and I said we were the first couple to check in and we knew nothing of it and she said NO, you weren't the first to check in and I said yes we were and she actually argued with me until my husband asked her if she was calling us liars. She then went and checked and came back and apologized and said yes I was right we were the first to check in. The other couples were NOT offered the option of staying together they thought they HAD to go to the other hotel. If she had of explained this at the beginning perhaps things things would of went smoothly but no, my husband went down stairs twice to see if we could get moved with the rest of our party and she was adamant nothing could be done. Poor business practices. Never would we stay here again. Outdated, run down, 79 cent local calls, $9.00 parking, beds that sagged and you rolled into the middle and terrible service at the front desk. Imagine arguing with us. We probubly stay in hotels 30 days a year and NEVER have we been treated this rudley........

Stayed November 2008
1 Thank 2Travelers2Victoria
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 10, 2008

Stayed at a group rate of $99. Maybe I'd pay $129 in high season. Any more than that would be a rip off.

Parking is first come first served so If you come back after dinner it's dicey. If you have a truck or SUV forget it. You can't even access more than half the spots. I'd just park on the street and not pay.

We got there and the computers were down so there was a wait to checkin. When we got to the room it was dated as many have said. The door knob in the bath room was the same as on the 1950's house I grew up in and the door was very old. Looked like some bathroom updates had been done in the '80 but the sliding door and balcony were orignal from the 1950"s? The toilet ran constantly despite having maintenance "fix" it 3 times. My husband finally fixed it himself with no tools.

I judge a hotel by my random cootie factor. It's just a feeling I get about if I should wear my socks all the time in a room. I did here. CArpets looked dirty.

One thing I really hate is hotels that "cheap out" on the toiletries. The second day we were left with little bits of our used soap and no new one. There was also no new shampoo or conditioner. When I approached the cleaner in the hall the next morning before I had a shower she literally stood there and argued with me that there was soap and shampoo in my room. I don't need or want this from cleaning staff. Then she never even cleaned out our coffee pot.
One other irritant is that the TV displayed no channels so you had no idea what channel you were on.

Room service was WAY too expensive for this type of hotel as was the movie charges., I could have taken my kid to a regular theatre and bought him popcorn, candy and drink for what they charged fo rone movie.

I stayed here as part of a group. I come to Victoria often and would not stay here of my own accord. The Marriott or Delta OPR are much better.

Stayed November 2008
Wisconsin
Reviewed September 22, 2008

I had checked them on the internet and it showed a bed & breakfast rate of $149n for this month as a pop up ad ,but necessary to call.
I called and and was told yes plenty of room and included a buffet breakfast- very courteous- I did not have my credit card with me so she said call back tomorrow with credit card.
I called next day and was told no rate like that would be honored- a room without bed & breakfast was $149 and she knew nothing of the ad.
I spoke with the "manager" and he knew of the ad but said he would not honor it even though he did have room!!!.
Needless to say we wil not be staying with this poorly rated hotel.

3 Thank C V
Netherlands
Reviewed September 15, 2008

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights in september. First night we got a (what later turned out to be) room upgrade from standard room to ‘family room’ with small kitchenette, sofa and a king size bed. This was quite a spacious room, nice large bed, but with very old and dated furniture as most reviews already point out. This room would have been ok for the price we paid ($200/night including taxes), but it turned out that right in front of our ‘mountain view’ window on the 2nd floor there was a big airconditioning device (not sure how to call these) making a terrible buzzing noise. We’re ok with street noises, but the sound this thing made woke us up nearly every time it started buzzing again. After explaining this to reception the next morning, we were moved to a room at the 7th floor. No apologies or anything, but they did move us.
The new room turned out to be much smaller, with just enough room to store your suitcases next to the (also smaller) queen size bed. We were amazed that after having had such a terrible night of sleep they even moved us to a smaller room, but anything better than not getting any sleep at all. We did catch some sleep here, but due to the mattresses used we had the tendency to roll to the middle of the bed. Could be good, but not so for sleeping purposes.
We booked a room including breakfast, but the staff wasn’t very clear in (willing to) explaining that you could use either the -somewhat limited- buffet or choose one item from their breakfast menu (if you chose for the latter and then also requested some juice or yoghurt you had to pay extra). Now I don’t mind paying for things, but please be clear about this upfront.
At checkout we were also surprised by the additional parking costs. Again, $9/day parking fee is not that big a deal, but at least tell your guests upfront that there will be a charge for this.

All together, this is not a place we will be visiting again.

• Liked — free internet (don't use wireless -it's not free- but cable instead!)
  • Disliked — the noise on 2nd floor, the beds on 7th floor
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank sverzijl