“Location, family, clean and friendly”

Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites
Ranked #22 of 52 Hotels in Victoria
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ceres, California
“Location, family, clean and friendly”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

My teenage children and I arrived in Victoria on the 11:00 p.m. ferry. Luckily, our hotel was one block away from the ferry dock. The staff greeted us weary travelers with smiles and assigned us a nice, clean room. We parked our car in the secured lot under the hotel and made the easy trek up. In the morning, we went down for the breakfast buffet, which included eggs, bacon, sausages, potatoes, breads, fruits, juices, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, yogurt and hot/cold cereals. I believe there was a breakfast special on the on-line reservations. I also believe parking was $15, which sure beats the parking prices at San Francisco hotels ($55). After breakfast, the kids and I checked out and walked about Victoria and enjoyed the sites and wonderful weather. You DEFINITELY will not go wrong staying at Harbour Towers.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tracy L
Kay-gm, General Manager at Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to record the key features, advantages and benefits of staying with us here at the Harbour Towers Victoria. In particular, our Chef Dustin and his culinary team will be pleased to read how much you enjoyed the selection offered in our Breakfast Buffet.
Hopefully we'll be welcoming you and your family back,
Kay Koot, general manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (455)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed July 6, 2013

July 4th – July 7th

I found this gem in the Victoria Inner Harbor area on tripadvisor.com. This hotel lived up to the reviews that I read before I booked our stay. This was our first trip back to Victoria since 1999.

The room:
We were in a suite on the ninth floor. There are two TVs, one in the bedroom and one in the living room. There is a nice computer desk to write this review with both wired and wireless internet. I chose to use the wire internet which ran fast. This hotel like many in Victoria does not have air conditioning. It was unusually hot in Victoria and with the two living room windows and bedroom sliding door open with the two ceiling fans going, it was very pleasant. The suite featured a large kitchen with a two-burner stove, dining table with chairs, sofa, two comfy chairs, coffee table and computer desk. The view from the ninth floor was amazing. We could see the entire Inner Harbor all the way around to the Empress Hotel and Parliament building which are lit up at night. See the pictures of both the room and the view.

The amenities:
This property includes a pool, sauna and hot tub. There is a fitness center with a weight room and a business center. The free wifi had a good level of performance. Vic’s steakhouse is located on site and features a buffet breakfast. The hotel has underground parking for a fee which is common in downtown Victoria.

The location:
We really liked the location located at the Inner Harbor area and just a short walk to Government street. There are many restaurants and attractions located nearby.

The staff:
As I mentioned in previous reviews, the staff can either make or break the experience. The staff here must go to some kind of hospitality university because they do whatever they can to ensure the customer is satisfied. Here are some of the outstanding people that we interacted with:
Catherine Burke - She is the desk manager and must have a PH.d in hospitality. We got to the hotel about 1:00. Our room was not ready so she took our bags and locked them up while we went out to have lunch and do some exploring. Upon our return, she put us in a beautiful harbor-view room on the ninth floor. We couldn’t have asked for a better room.
She told us that for fish and chips, we should go to Barb’s on fisherman’s wharf. The food was great and worth the recommendation.
Courtney and Tara - I forgot my camera and they were able to loan me a micro USB cable to transfer my pictures from my phone to my laptop. Their help was much appreciated.

We will be back at the Harbor Towers.

Thanks for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
How lovely to read your review, which was so very complete, and especially more so given that you seem to contribute regularly to tripadvisor. I have taken great pleasure in sharing it with my team and in fact we have now dubbed Catharine as Dr. Burke! Tara and Courtney will be nominated for our Champions In Action recognition program thanks to you mentioning them specifically.
On behalf of my team we look forward to saying "Welcome Back to the Harbour Towers"!
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Enjoyed two nights at Harbour Towers Hotel, and the excellent weather helped. Higher rooms harbour-side provide good view. Time to check in was way too long and the key didn't work when I got to the room so asked housekeeping to let me in. My (polite) frustration showed at check-in so a manager called my room to apologize. She gave excuses why it took so long but didn't seem to appreciate the underlying problem: short staffing mean the staff need to be able to alert manager to send out more staff. Furthermore there is no concierge so check-in staff have to spend an inordinate amount of time giving directions and other distractions. The room is clean but dated decor. The shower is unpredictable: good streams of hot water punctuated by blasts of cold water. Hotel is conveniently close to major attractions except a good espresso. Room cleaning products are scented, which triggered my hay fever, so I declined cleaning during the stay. The Hotel is excellent value for the money. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Upper level harbour-side
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Kay-gm, General Manager at Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thanks for the wide variety of comments, both positive and constructive. Let me respond to a few, with the desire that you will return and take advantage. Catharine Burke, our Front Office Manager, does use our occupancy forecast to schedule a Bellman to supplement the Guest Service Agents in providing "Concierge" services, but when there are not a lot of check-ins or departures our front office team really enjoys providing this information. I am sorry that your wait to check in was longer than expected. Our own Vic's restaurant does have an Espresso machine, and although our regular room cleaning products are scented, you just need to advise the front desk/housekeeping department of any allergies and the Room Attendants will use a different product supplied by Ecolab.
Please come again and take advantage of our location, the inner harbour view and of course the value.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Victoria was sold out for the Canada week, Harbour Towers was the only choice however it worked out well. Excellent buffet breakfast is good value. Rooms could need updating but staff friendliness more than makes up for it.

• Stayed July 2013
Kay-gm, General Manager at Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
I am very glad to read that you were able to find a room with us over the Canada Day long weekend! Great to know that you found our Breakfast Buffet to be of good value, as that is indeed how we have priced the selection of hot and cold items. My Team will also be thrilled when I share with them how you state that their friendliness impressed you.
Toronto
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We were there in May, and the rooms are quite spacious. It is a block away from the Victoria Clipper Ferry. The view from our room was really beautiful. The room was dated and had a bit of a musty smell. We were there for a conference so the staff did everything they could to make our stay comfortable and provided us with excellent suggestions on places to eat etc. No air conditioning but we had a nice breeze from our balcony, and the ceiling fan. which we preferred anyways.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for taking the time to post your review and note all the positive feedback. I do apologize for the musty smell you mention and I hope that you notified our front desk about it, because it should not have been present. It really pleases me to read another guest comment regarding the service level provided by our staff, because that is indeed how we try to rise above the others.
Hoping your business brings you back to Victoria,
Stockton, California
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I booked this hotel on line. It is VERY CLOSE to the Victoria Clipper. The room was small but clean with a fantastic view of the harbour. It could be updated a bit, and I would have enjoyed a mini refrigerator, but I knew it did not have one when I booked the room. It did have a spacious balcony and wonderful overhead fan. The location is great. We walked downtown often and could see the Parliament Building from our balcony. Breakfast was perfect with a large selection of items (eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, cereal, various juices, muffins, potatoes, etc.) The staff actually allowed me to go to the top floor and take some pictures. I don't know if they would do this for everyone, but I really appreciated it. They are most helpful and I would certainly stay there again. Very easy walk from the ferry!

Room Tip: The 7th floor will give you a view over the roof of the hotel in front of you. To get the best view...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
I'm really happy to read how much you appeciated so many of our features! The Victoria Clipper is certainly a key partner with the Harbour Towers, access being rather important, and our balcony-views are indeed impressive! Our Chef Dustin and his culinary team will appreciate your positive comment regarding our Breakfast Buffet offering. In addition, upon your return, I'm really pleased to advise that we have mini-fridges being installed into ALL of the remaining Standard and Superior guestrooms this month.
The team looks forward to saying welcome back!
Sooke, Canada
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Made reservation 5 months in advance for a two bedroom penthouse suite, only to have them email me to tell me it wasn't available because they didn't mark it down on the reservations. This was a plan for my husband's 50th birthday celebration on July 1st with family. Now we had to cancel all our plans for those days. The only thing they can offer is a room with two bed, and if we had to cancel a $50. gift certificate for dinner for his birthday... I don't think we will spend his birthday driving all the way into Victoria then drive back to Sooke. Yeah.. happy 50th from Harbour Towers. Needless to say I don't know how they got the TripAdvisor Excellence Award.

Room Tip: I would suggest another hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Kay-gm, General Manager at Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
I am so very sorry to read that you decided to cancel with us for your husband's 50th birthday celebration, coinciding with Canada's birthday! Although we actually do offer the greatest number of suites of any hotel in Victoria, the number of Penthouse Suites with 2 bedrooms is limited, in conjunction with the 1-bedroom suites - all on 2 levels accessible from the 12th floor. Indeed, it was human error that a specific room had not been pre-blocked in your reservation, but you were offered one of our other 2-bedroom suites with the Harbour View (just not Penthouse). I understand that you have greatly enjoyed staying in the 2-bedroom Penthouse Suite before, enjoying the fireworks and I do hope that although you were not able to do exactly the same thing again this year that you might reconsider and perhaps try again for another occasion.
sincerely,