“From bad to great......” 5 of 5 bubbles

Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites
Ranked #22 of 52 Hotels in Victoria
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bothell, Washington
“From bad to great......”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

Upon check in we were told that our 2 bedroom suite had maintenance issues and all other rooms were taken. Catherine (Cat) came out and explained the problem and said that she had found a suite for us at the Hotel next store. She offered us a 2 day parking pass, use of their facilities (pool and gym) as well as dinner at Vic’s. We accepted, and boy am I glad we did. The dinner and treatment we received from Ryan and Dominic our waiters were 2nd to none. Together the staff more than made up for the inconvenience of us moving into another hotel for a night then coming back to the Towers. Checking in the following day went very smooth with early check in to a 2 bedroom suite on the 10th floor and we were offered a late check out the next day. Because of how important Cat and crew made my wife, our 2 young daughters, my mother-in-law and I feel we would not hesitate to come back and stay at the Harbour Towers the next time we visit Victoria. I also would recommend to anyone to do the same. If you go, tell Cat hi from Mr. LaRock

Room Tip: If your getting a suite ask for 1014 or the rooms above it.... The views are awesome with great suns...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kay-gm, General Manager at Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
It is natural how happy I am to read about our Remarkable Recovery, from a situation that was inconvenient to all concerned, thanks to the extraordinary efforts by our hotel associates. Thank you so much for naming Cat (who orchestrated the elements of the recovery), as well as Dom and the rest of the team.
And we DO look forward to welcoming you back!
Kay Koot, general manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

Just came back after 3 days, 2 nights. First timers, went with The Clipper package from Seattle. Chose the cheaper hotel with the cheaper room. We would have had a better experience if we had paid the extra $ and stayed @ The Hotel Grand Pacific- worth the extra cost of nice ammenties and peace/quiet.

For the money, we expected a little better from Harbor Towers.
Coming before all the summer people, we expected better from the hotel but the doors and walls are thin so you Don't have the peace/quiet expected. Plus couldn't call ahead to see how many conventions were there @ the hotel- since it was through the Clipper and not in USA.

The Harbor Towers hotel from the outside looks a little out dated but not too bad-rock at end of hotel on corner so after walking a block up, you might reconize that from their pic, you might be at the right hotel. There is an white very quaint old bed breakfast and hotel in front of the Harbor Towers on the first street where the docks/inner harbor is. Ask anyone in town and they know most of the hotels if you can't find them. The sign for Harbor Towers is on the Left Side of the building-WHO CAN SEE THAT?? The sign should be on the front top so you can see it when you dock or from the street.
The entrance on main floor and Vics bar and restaurant looked nice when you come into the lobby. Wish the rooms and pool area were as nice as the Lobby-if it was, they would have better reviews and a better hotel!! Vics was pricy compared to town. We didn't eat there but saw the prices. We ate elsewhere-lots of choices, plan on walking, but lots close by. The hotel is 1 block up from Clipper-not on main street where there is more car noise etc. (Grand Pacific on first street but set back quite a ways from the noise). They did have good service at the desk when we arrived plus cookies(until they were gone and they never refilled or refilled the water-water should always be available at the desk-other hotels do it) when we arrived @11:30am. Gave good directions for town, bus, etc..

ON Thurs night asked for late check out (because noise next door kept us awake after 1am) but this hotel was not able to give us a late check out for Fri -2 conventions going on. If we had known, we would have gone with other hotel. We booked with Clipper so did not know that info ahead of time. Beds felt springy/old-not as soft or newer as hotels usually are. Pillows were soft and very good (4 to bed) no old bedspread - good-new sheets with bed decoration on the end of the beds. Old white Ceiling Fan in room-noisy above med. speed and dusty. Old room and dusty old drapes. We Opened the slider for air but didn't look like they had air condition for summer just heat thermostat. Didn't use the T.V. heard it didn't have only a few channels anyway. Good size clean refig-cold under T.V.cabinet.The room looked so/so but still very outdated.

We thought the room was fairly clean except for the dusty drapes and dusty around bed bottoms and ceiling fan.
UNTIL we went to use the Microwave! THE MICROWAVE we had requested when we went to use it at night, was Really DIRTY inside. A maintenance guy came and cleaned it even though housekeeping wasn't there at night to clean those things. (housekeeping is always 24 hrs available unless you stay at a really dumpy hotel).Where was just trading it for A CLEAN ONE?? There is no reason that there shouldn't be one person on staff with that large of a hotel-esp. during summer they should have more staff day and night. The room looked and felt outdated.
The room was fair size- not huge and not small- with 2 king beds a T.V and a desk with old semi soft chair plus large glass closet-noticed a small side closet with shelves close to the bathroom.
The toilet is size of a child- not elongated (size) for an adult. We are small/med people but even the small toilets were small for us!
We had an outdated sink and some counter space next to one of the beds besides the small sink/counter in the bath.
Tub old small plus tub shower old handles-had to ajust just right for temp and even then it was readjusting too hot or too cold-showerhead water came out but no adjustment for high or low- no water wand to reach any place for short or tall people. Very Outdated lighting in the room!

Noticed they had kitchenettes available with the rooms with a view across from our room on 9th floor. Friendly housekeeper and helpful too. Equipment for exercise room 10-15 pieces?more than usually see at a hotel-didn't use it.
We used the pool, spa, and sauna once-which was VERY OUTDATED and Too Much Chlorine - our new swim suits still smell even after washing!!
If you are looking for a fairly affordable hotel, close to everything and you don't mind the out dated stuff, thin walls, and all you do there is sleep there and don't care about ammenities then this place is for you! Looked like a good place for families-cheaper and offer larger rooms w kichenetts. One of the conventions was for Christian families. The other was some business convention.
The people next door to us came in Thurs and @ 1:00 am were still laughing etc- loudly, with lots of people. Thurs night where we couldn't sleep- so we had to call down to front desk- then the noise stopped)-That was our real need for a late check out - lack of sleep which they could not give, saying they had 2 conventions there and their house keepers could not possibly get the room ready for the next customers-IT LOOKED LIKE 1 HOUSE KEEPER for 1 FLOOR or maybe more? Same lady was cleaning our floor each day and no one else was in sight- I hope they had others on other floors because that is pretty sad especially when you have 2 conventions w a hotel fully booked!!
It looks like they get new people off the boat after 11:00/11:30 am (the cookies upon arrival if you are lucky to one) so they have people leaving, checked out by 11:00 am so the new arrivals can go to their rooms.
They have a safe you can arrange @ the lobby but none in the room.
After checkout, They will hold your luggage for the day until departure time-ours was after 5pm. Hotel not too far from pharmacy and the grocery store -a few blocks up and and few blocks to the Left.The water and mountains is a few blocks o the left and up the rest of the blocks-closer than we thought. The Inner Harbor where all the boats, Clipper etc..are- 1 block from your Hotel. Many people brought bikes on the Clipper and some had them at the hotel. They have free maps @front desk.
This hotel could use a huge update in the rooms and pool area. It is a step up from Days inn which was pretty bad when you go in and look around but if you want comfort and nice amenities ect.. then We'd recommend the Grand Pacific which is pretty new and across from the Parliament and great views of the inner harbor.

Room Tip: Stay on 9th floor or above and get a water front view would be best (for that price, you can go to a...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

This was my second stay and amazingly the Harbour Towers managed to make it just as bad as the first stay. The spaced-out check-in clerk forgot to take an imprint of my credit card, which means that the second evening my room door would not open, had to haul all my gear back to reception where I was lectured for not having submitted my credit card. My apologies.
The rooms are huge, tired and spartan, and mine had the extra benefit of being exactly across the elevators. I was too tired to go back to reception and ask for another one - but I should have: the slot under the door could have accommodated a pizza box, and certainly didn't help cut out any corridor noise. And noise there was: a few busloads of grad students took over on Saturday evening, turning the hotel into a zoo. When I mentioned this to reception the morning after the attendant dead-panned I should have complained the evening before. About what? About the fact they inadvertently unleashed 50 screaming kids on my floor?
Next evening we invited some friends over for dinner at the hotel restaurant. Food was OK-ish but the morning after half of my colleagues turn up with food poisoning. We mention this to the front desk who flatly deny such a thing could happen. We call the friends who joined us for dinner - same thing, half are sick with food poisoning.
The one shining star in this mess is Ryan the breakfast waiter, who every day tries to cheer us up and make amends for his underwhelming colleagues. After witnessing the sad condition of my poisoned colleagues he's truly sorry and tries to find some higher-up who can fix things. He promises us the management will be in touch with us shortly after our stay, and amends will be made. Weeks have gone by and none of us have heard a thing.
Bottom line: if you want a cheap, loud, uninspiring, and potentially poisonous experience supported by indifferent or rude staff the Harbour Tower fits the bill. Everybody else would do well to stay away.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the back of the hotel. Windows have no noise insulation and street traffic can be a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank FlyingDutchmanYVR
Kay-gm, General Manager at Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Well it certainly does sound terrible and I am so very sorry to read about these details you've described.
All I can say is that back in January, when you stayed with us, there actually was no general manager or food & beverage services manager - I started on March 4th and the Richard Clay started overseeing the food & beverage services department on January 21st. Ryan is still with us as a Server in Vic's Restaurant and our Executive Chef Dustin (who is also fairly new here) has been working with the culinary team and will be launching a new dinner menu in May.
I believe the team has come a long long way, and the more recent reviews certainly seem to validate that.
I do hope you will try us a 3rd try, and the opportunity to redeem our reputation in your eyes!
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

My rugby team stayed at this hotel for the 2013 Scrumfest and it was fantastic. From the minute of arrival the staff bent over backwards for us. They were cheery and attentive and were there for our every need. The hotel itself is nice. It's nothing fancy but has everything you could need. The pool is perfect for kids of all ages and the gym is actually amazing. I have never seen a gym that size with that much equipment in a hotel. Our room was clean and fresh, and the housekeeping staff was very friendly and thorough, even folding all our clothes that had become scattered across the floor. As far as the actual sleep quality goes, I found the beds way too hard for my personal comfort, but that varies by individual. The cots however are horrendous, but that did not come as a shock. After we had checked out, many players needed to shower, and although we were no longer guests of the hotel, the front staff was more than happy to let us use the pool shower facilities. We were very impressed with the level of service they provided and if I were to go back to Victoria I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor and found the rooms were excellent. There are laundry facilities on flo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kay-gm, General Manager at Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Thank you so very much for taking the time to record so many of the details of your stay with us, as I certainly recall the impact that your rugby team had on our hotel during the stay. I am so very happy to read how my Team provided the memorably high level of service that you described, across the board from the front desk to housekeeping.
in addition you can be assured that I will also be asking our Housekeeping Manager to check on the quality of the cots that we provide to our guests from time to time - since although they will never be as comfortable as a bed they may need to be replaced. Also glad to read that everyone enjoyed the pool and gym.
The Team looks forward to saying welcome back to you, upon your next rugby tournament in Victoria!
sincerely,
Kay Koot, general manager.
Palo Alto CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

We had stayed in this hotel several times on trips to Victoria, but this stay was most exciting as I had inadvertently left my passport in the table drawer, had left for Vancouver, and needed it the next morning. I called spoke to the desk and they had it. To get it to Vancouver the next day I was transferred to "Service" and then I was totally surprised. The agent understood completely, packed it for shipment, called UPS and arranged for it to be picked up and sent to Vancouver in 10 MINUTES!. After chatting with UPS for the delivery details we arranged it for 8:00am; it arrived and all was fine. Great compliments to the Harbour Tower staff! I never expected such understanding and coordination by the hotel, and their relationship with UPS, and will be very pleased to say there again.
While the room was fine, on the slight downside, breakfast is too costly this year with no options but a full buffet breakfast, so we went to another hotel where prices were more reasonable. Hope this can be reorganized.

Room Tip: The higher the better quality; up to the fifth floor - very good value.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EdRad
Kay-gm, General Manager at Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Reading your comments on how the Guest Services team exceeded your expectations has made my day! I do rely on our Associates to make the difference and the service level that you have described will be celebrated within the Team!
We are re-evaluating our breakfast offering, so keep that in mind for your return visit and I do count on saying Welcome Back to the Harbour Towers!
Grants Pass, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I got a great deal on the Harbour Towers with a package on the Victoria Clipper. As other reviewers have said, the hotel is dated. But we were travelling with our kids and booked a one-bedroom suite, and the tired decor didn't matter ... we all really enjoyed having the extra space. The fitness room is by far the largest I've seen for any hotel with quite a few different bikes, treadmills, weights, TVs, etc. There's also a small hot tub, dry sauna and a pool (which the kids loved). The hotel is an easy walk from the Clipper terminal (about 2 blocks). We had dessert one night at Vic's restaurant and the breakfast buffet one morning. It was convenient, tasty and the service was friendly and helpful, but I'd recommend walking a few blocks to the James Bay Tea Room for breakfast if you have the time. The buffet just wasn't worth $15 unless you're pinched for time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
      Cleanliness
Lovely to read a review from another one of our Clipper guests and especially so when it is so positive. Being new to the city myself, and not yet familiar with how the Harbour Towers compares to the hotels in our market, I'm very happy to read that you and your family appreciate the recreational facilities and in particular the size and scope of our Fitness Centre.
Ready to welcome you back on your next voyage on the Clipper,
Kay Koot
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

Got a great deal through Clipper vacations. Hotel is a short walk from the ferry and close to the inner harbour. They held our bags for us until our room was ready, and again after we checked out until we needed to pick them up to catch the evening ferry. I found the room spacious quiet and comfortable. Nice breakfast buffet with eggs, meat, waffles, cereal and juice & coffee was handy if a bit pricey at $15. TV channels were limited and weirdly difficult to navigate. There are so many good restaurants, attractions and shopping within walking distance.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Wonderful to read of your very positive experience ... and the team looks forward to welcome you back on your next Clipper voyage ... as we certainly appreciate our Clipper partnership.
Kay Koot