“Great location but room old and tired and overpriced”
Review of Embassy Inn

Embassy Inn
Ranked #13 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Orono, Maine
“Great location but room old and tired and overpriced”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We stayed in the old Harbour section for two nites. Great location right next to the legislature and inner harbour. Room was very clean. Staff were very friendly and helpful. BUT, this building is old, in need of renovation or the wrecking ball. It has the feel of a 1950's motel, which I guess it is. Walls are paper thin, bathroom very cramped, cheap old TV. And, not cheap - we paid $150/nite in August.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank rab05

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Yelm, Washington
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel on our first trip to Victoria and booked it on Priceline. The problem with this hotel is that they have to different sections of the hotel Harbor section and Tower section which was never explained to us when we were booking the hotel. We saw the pictures from their website expecting a room similar to the one in the pictures but when we arrived the hotel the room were completely different than what we were told we were getting and different from the rooms in the pictures. First of all we checked in to this beautiful looking lobby but then were told that our room was across the way in a different much older dingy looking building. Once we got to our room we were very taken aback by what we saw. The room was still decorated from the 80's and nothing had been updated in years. The bed spreads had stains all over them and the beds themselves were hard as rocks to sleep on. We thought we were going to have a refrigerator in our room along with a microwave but all we had was a dingy coffee maker and a alarm clock from the 80's that I remember my parents having when I was a kid. The worst part was the fact that this room didn't have air conditioning and the only windows were very small and there were only two of them (one in the bathroom and the other in the room with the beds) not enough to let any kind of air into the room to cool it down or allow a breeze in. We had to have our door open when we were in the room just so we would get some kind of air flow in the room. Most people would say well its Canada who needs AC well a woman who is seven months pregnant and traveling with a two year old plus it was in the 90's while we were there so AC was very much needed. Also there were black hairs in our tub and you had to walk over to the other part of the building to get ice and drinks. When I question the staff at the front desk why we were put in those rooms and not in the rooms in the nice building that had AC, refrigerator, microwave, WI-FI in the room, and much nicer newer rooms she told me that when we booked online that we booked into a Harbor room and not a Tower room. This was the first time I heard that there were two different rooms and nowhere during the booking process did they inform you that the rooms were different. Also the service at the restaurant for complimentary breakfast was horrible. The waitresses messed up our order and it took them at least 45 minutes to even get us our food and drinks. I wouldn't have been so upset about this hotel if I would have gotten it at a price that would have been reasonable for the room that I received but I could have gotten a much nice hotel room for the same price if I would have been informed of the actual room I was getting. I feel like they misrepresented the rooms online and then switched them on you once you got there. I will NEVER stay here again and I suggest you choose a different hotel for your stay in Victoria. The only positive to this hotel is that it is within walking distance to many of the sites in Victoria but I would recommend the Days Inn or the Best Western instead of this hotel because they are in the same area but with much nicer rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for a Tower room, the better rooms are in the 'Tower', DO NOT get a Harbor room!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Cassandra F
Blacksquirrel2010, Manager at Embassy Inn, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
"Bait and Switch"

We are sorry but we have been unable to ascertain your name or dates stayed with us at the Embassy Inn. The Front Desk staff have no recollection of any complaints around the time period of your reveiw and after checking with our Restaurant and Kitchen, again, the staff say they do not remember any serving or kitchen issues. Managers are on Duty from 6am until
midnight and none have received any complaints regarding the issues mentioned.

We take all complaints very seriously and would have addressed any matters with you at the date of stay.

We have updated our website in the last 5 months and have gone to great lenghts to show an unbiased version of our HARBOUR building, which is a frame building, minus air conditioning, and wifi. The photo's online show clearly the design and layout. We clearly show that the TOWER building is the newer building complete with air-conditioning, wifi 15 kitchenette rooms and individual balconies. We also state that the HARBOUR building is more economical. The HARBOUR building has 24 kitchenette rooms, your booking agent would have assigned one if requested. The furniture in the HARBOUR building is relatively new and all areas are very well maintained and clean. All of our bedspreads are off white in colour and are replaced for each new check in , so we are at a loss to understand why you had stains. We are not, and do not falsely advertise ourselves as a fancy hotel, as reflected in our pricing, we do however have a reputation that you can see on all booking websites for cleanliness and we are very dismayed that you were less than satisfied with your stay with us.

Should you decide in the future to give the Embassy Inn a chance to redeem the above matters, please bring this response with you or mention it when you call and we will ensure that you have a complimentary stay equivalent to your recent stay with us.

Dee Gray
Manager.
Laguna Woods, California
Reviewed August 6, 2012

After reading most of the reviews on Tripadvisor, we decided to spend a night in this hotel. We were very dissapointed for the following reasons: 1) although the hotel is in a good location, and clean, it is a 50 year old building that has not been upgraded since its inception. 2) the price per night was high for such accomodations. 3) we thought that breakfast was included, but we were told that for the price we payed (total $158) we did not qualify for breakfast. 4) The rooms are paper thin, and at 1 AM there was a group coming in who woke us up with loud voices. We definitely do not plan on returning to this hotel.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank svtatiana1
Oakland
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We made our reservation here through Tourist Bureau Victoria in Part Angeles (WA). We got a rate of $85 a night for two people, which was better than their advertised rate. The room was nothing special, but perfectly adequate. The hotel's location, literally right next to the Parliament building, was very convenient, and they had free parking on-site. They had an outdoor pool (heated, I think), but we didn't use it. Good accommodations for the price. Using Tourist Bureau Victoria turned out to be a very good idea.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stuart F
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I was at this hotel for three nights on business. Rooms were clean, comfy, and adequately sized. Quiet too. Didn't use the pool. The location is quite good as all my business was downtown within a ten minute walk, right past the Parliament Buildings of the provincial government.

Staff were very pleasant and helpful. I needed to make a few conference calls and despite not having a biz center they let me use their bar/lounge. The restaurant staff kindly kept me supplied with coffee.

Wifi in the rooms of the Tower section only! But it worked great.

Nice restaurant for breakfast and lunch only, but good food.

I will use this hotel again. Good value, location, and condition.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Radamandlisa
Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Stayed in early May for 2 nights to go whale watching. Location is great, short walk to the harbour but outside of downtown. Was perfect for us to be able to go for a run from the hotel without having to contend with downtown traffic or people.
Staff were friendly and helpful, we requested a room change due to the bed being far too soft and it was done without any issue at all - much appreciated.
The room was clean and spacious with the only thing missing being a small fridge, but I'm not sure if that's normal in Canadian hotels.
The hotel has a coin operated laundry facility available which is very convenient.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed May 10, 2012

When I got here from the US they have me the keys to the room. I brought my fiancé here to have some fun with here on business. When we got to the room it smelled like mildew and looked like a cheap motel room with furniture that was cheap from the 80's...scratched up and dirty and when you pull out drawers they fall out. I immediately went to the front desk and complained and asked for a new room. They took me to an " upgraded room" which had the same small and same crappy bed.. I mean it was the type of bed where you can feel the springs in your back...really. I was very unhappy so they moved me to another room that had a kitchenette.... Same crappy beds.... But I had to take it as it " was their last room". On our next to last am they call us at night saying that we have to check out of that room and check into a new room... I was a bit upset because now for the second time I had to pack up all of my stuff and move... I called them back that night and was concerned I bought 50$ in salmon and food to cook as a pre mothers day meal...they told me that the room had a kitchenette and it would be no problems. So I packed up and moved all my luggage and the food in the fridge to the new room. Well after a long day I come back to the room and lay out all of my food....but there was no pans or pots... I called the front desk and they told me that this room was not allowed to use the stove at all because the fan is broken. I told them that my fiance and i have not eaten at all... He says that he upgraded me and the range not working is irrelevant because my original room didn't have a stove...I told him that this should have been told to me when they moved me into this room as we did say we had food to cook. He argued with me very rudely and said that they would do oohing to help me... Then he says if you don't like it you can check out right now.. I t was 945 at night....omg... What is going on! I advised him that I travel a lot and this was a surprise that this hotel would not help me....HE SAYS "WELL IF YOU TRAVEL ALOT THEN YOU SHOULD HAVE READ THE REVIEWS ON OUR HOTEL before you booked. The duty manager I spoke to was Travis . This is the whole reason why at 1030 at night I am writing this review. My fiancé and me are going hungry and I have 50$+ in food that I have to leave here that is going to go bad. This is the worst experience that I have ever had. I should have stayed in the days inn. I AM NOT LYING THE BEDS HERE ARE THE WORST AND THE REVIEWS THAT SAY THAT THE BEDS ARE COMFY... THOSE PEOPLE MUST HAVE BEEN SLEEPING ON THE FLOOR THEIR WHOLE LIFE.... IM NOT A COMPLAINER BUT THIS HAD TO BE SAID.. I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE EVER.....I FEEL LIKE SUCH A SUCKER..I SHOUD NEVER HAVE BOOKED THIS.... DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE

Room Tip: I saw 3 rooms and all of them had really uncomfortable beds and 2 of them smelled like mildew
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank brianandmaddy
Blacksquirrel2010, General Manager at Embassy Inn, responded to this review, May 18, 2012
Brian and Maddy,

We were sorry to see your comments on Trip Advisor. We always try to do the best for our guests as you are the reason we are in business. I was aware on your check in that you were unsatisfied with the type of room that you had booked and due to the length of stay that I witnessed I approved your upgraded move to the 475 sq. ft suite complete with a full kitchen that we moved you to. I am also witness to the Desk Clerk advising you of a move on the last nights stay at the date this suite was offered to you.. Embassy Inn does not advertise itself as a posh 4 or 5 star hotel. Our motto is the most affordable Inner Harbour Hotel, one thing that we are known for is the cleanliness of our rooms and this can be observed on any booking site remarks. On your last day at the hotel when we moved you to another room, which was again a suite, my Housekeeper came to me in tears concerning the state of the room you were departing and I visited this suite and observed the damaged kitchen equipment etc., at this time it was appropriate that no more complimentary kitchen equipment would be put into the suite you would be moving into for 1 night.

Should you have any problems with this response or require further clarification from me, please feel free to call me on the hotel toll free line at 1 800 268 8161

Dee Gray