“Historic Hotel Made Modern!”
Review of Hotel Rialto

Hotel Rialto
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Toronto
“Historic Hotel Made Modern!”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

The Rialto is superbly located in the old wharf district of downtown Victoria. This area of downtown is frequented by the homeless, so if you have issues with this, your choice might need to be reconsidered. That said, we didn't mind at all and helped a few folks along the way. The history of the area, while nothing like Europe, is interesting. The hotel was perfect, quiet, with well equipped rooms that included a kitchenette. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The Veneto Lounge is one of the best places to dine (if you enjoy Tapas) in the city and was written up in the National Post, Globe and Mail and local rag in Tofino BC! A short walk away sits the Inner harbour where you can choose from a long list of things to do. Stay at the Rialto and you will enjoy a complimentary breakfast in their cafe and free use of their business center....if in fact the front desk can locate it!

Room Tip: Any room is a good one!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We made a last minute reservation and the staff was so helpful. The room was great - a top floor corner king unit. The room was comfortable and the property was great. The staff was attentive and helpful. Would recommend this hotel.

Coombs, Canada
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Great staff, great rooms and right downtown. Very clean, well appointed rooms. The staff was very friendly when checked in. The main lobby is elegant and classy. We will always stay there whenever visiting Victoria. Special thanks to Maureen, for making our stay special.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Colanne H
St. Albert, Canada
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We resided (on a romantic getaway) in this conviently-located downtown hotel for four full and two half days in Aug., 2012.
Contrary to other opinions, we could not have found the front desk, breakfast service/barista and restaurant staff any more professional, friendly and helpful (regardless of whether it was regarding parking, interesting local sites, tours, restaurant reviews/suggestions or even car rentals). There was not a poor one in the bunch and a few were exceptional. While the breakfasts were quite good, the prices were (like most hotels) a bit overpriced (and the hash browns could use far less salt). However, the young barista was exceptional. The morning coffee/muffin coupons were appreciated and, coupled with the good food and excellent service, kept us returning .
The room was clean and a good size and, despite the street noise, we slept exceptionally well. The air conditioning was a bit confusing but, it worked reasonably well. The single elevator was a bit slow but, did not cause any discomfort.
We would not hesitate to either recommend this hotel to family or friends or, if in Victoria again, stay there. A very pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Choose a room that does not face Douglas Street as it is a busy thoroughfare and the windows blocked...
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Wow, what an amazing Hotel! I am still blown away with how amazing our stay was at the Hotel Rialto. Let me tell you the story of our stay and explain why this is the only place I will ever stay from now on when visiting Victoria.

Our 5th Anniversary

My wife and I live in Seattle and have a 2 year old son. Our 5th Anniversary was last week and planned a trip to Victoria from Tuesday-Thursday to celebrate. Meanwhile my wonderful in-laws agreed to watch our little guy.

I am a bit obsessed with trip reviews and price comparison shopping. I spent 2 days scouring my favorite travel sites looking at reviews and pricing information on different hotels in Victoria. We wanted to stay at a beautiful hotel, that was reasonably priced (300 bucks a night for a hotel like the Empress was way out of our range) that catered to couples and was within walking distance of the main attractions in Victoria. (We walked on the ferry in Anacortes and took a bus from Sydney to Victoria).

After all my research I was pretty convinced the Rialto was the best option for our needs. I checked the pricing online and found the rates at all travel sites to be about the same. I always call a hotel I am considering before booking though to see if they have any unadvertised specials or are willing to match the prices offered online. I called and had the pleasure of speaking with Maureen (I believe she is the hospitality manager) and told her about the reason for our stay. She sounded genuinely excited when she congratulated us on our 5th anniversary. I had some specific requests and questions about the rooms, the hotels location and the amenities and she was able to answer every question I had. I told her I specifically wanted a tub in my room (my wife loves to take a hot bath after a day on her feet) and she recommended two different rooms. One with a queen sized bed and a deep but standard sized tub, the other a King sized suite with a larger room and bigger tub. There was a fairly substantial premium for the king sized suite so I decided on the queen sized room.

Arrival

Three days later, we arrived at the Hotel Rialto, a little after noon. Since we rode in on the bus we were told we could stow our furniture with guest services until check-in was available later in the day. When we entered the lobby we were greeted with a smile and were assisted immediately. After giving the reservation name I was informed that our room was already ready and we could check in immediately if we wished! After a 3 hour ferry ride and a 45 minute bus ride that was a welcome surprise. We asked a few questions about recommendations for local restaurants and the girl at the desk happily obliged by showing marking on a map she gave us some local favorites (we tried several and they were all excellent, I will be reviewing them separately). After that we were handed several items and given directions to our room. As we boarded the elevator I noticed she had handed us our room keys, 4 certificates for a free hot drink and pastry at their cafe, a certificate for a free cheese platter from their onsite Tapas Lounge (wow... that was some good food, see my review) and a small white envelope. I had my wife open the envelope and heard her make one of those, "Oh that's so sweet" gasps. Is was a personalized card wishing us a happy anniversary! What a sweet and thoughtful touch.

Our room

As soon as I opened the door to our room I knew we had been given a complimentary upgrade. The bed was king sized, the bathroom had a separate shower and a corner tub big enough to fit three Canadians or 1-2 Americans. This was the king romance suite Maureen had told me about and she had upgraded us as a courtesy. Ok, they had already totally won our loyalty in the first 15 minutes of our stay.

The room we stayed in was gorgeous. The colors of the carpets and bedding were mostly black and white, with some grey/silver accents. The lighting was perfect with large lamps and sconces hidden in the ceiling which lit the room well but in a way that made the room feel very intimate and private. The furniture was dark, almost black. The TV was mounted above a beautiful dresser that housed a mini fridge concealed behind a door and a mirror faced microwave. The bathroom was almost all white with a few dark woods and modern chrome hardware. Everything was immaculate. No scratches, no stains, perfect. There were several small touches that made the room even better. A ipod dock/ambient noise machine was by the bed (the ambient noises are great for blocking out the small amount of street noise at night), the floors in the bathroom were heated, plush bathrobes were waiting in the armoire and bath salts were sitting waiting to be used by the edge of the tub.

Other notes

Our stay was wonderful. The bed was comfortable, noise levels low, customer service was prompt in responding to our few requests and the on site restaurants were great. The area the hotel is located in is a few blocks north of the waterfront, but no more than a 10 minute walk. We found we were actually closer to many of the best restaurants in town than we would have been staying closer to the harbor. The location is not in a high end part of town, but from the inside of the hotel you would never be able to tell. The only real downside is that there were no views of the city in our room as both the bathroom and bedroom faced the inner courtyard (read, the gravel between the two halves of the building with a couple potted plants). Views are something I typically don't like paying extra for so I did not mind.

Do yourself a favor when you stay here, try the Tapas lounge. You will get a free cheese platter certificate when you check in, but do yourself a favor and order a meal. We shared the duck trio and it was unbelievably delicious.

Well, that was a much longer review than I had intended to write! I hope you found in useful in planning your next stay in Victoria. Don't pass up the Rialto. It is truly the best hotel I have ever stayed in.

Room Tip: The romance king is an amazing room for a romantic couple getaway!
3 Thank Jephri
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We were lucky to get this hotel during a particularly busy weekend in Victoria and were pleasantly surprised. They recently had some renovations done to the rooms and everything looks quite modern. Upon check-in they gave us vouchers for a baked good & coffee in the morning at their cafe (or $3 off a breakfast order with a free beverage) as well as a voucher for a cheese place at Veneto Tapa Lounge. We weren't able to check out the lounge but the breakfasts were good. The hotel itself had a fun vibe and there were a mix of people staying there, and the staff were quite friendly and helpful. It's located near Chinatown in a slightly quieter area but you're only a couple of blocks from the harbour, shopping, etc. They do have parking for $15 in a gated lot nearby but it is limited and if the hotel is full like this weekend you might not get a spot (like us) but there was street parking nearby (90 minutes limit) and a parkade (both free after 6 and on Sundays). We were able to get parking on our second day when someone checked out as were moving our car in the morning but it is a bit of an annoyance. The only other negatives were noted by my husband: really low water pressure, and pillows too fluffy. Recommended.

Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

We read the reviews of Hotel Rialto and wanted to stay there. It's exactly the type of hotel that we love. The Rialto is a renovated older hotel with striking architectural features. It's in a "revived" neighborhood and the hotel has contributed to that revival. The staff was welcoming. We received a complimentary cheese plate and dined at Veneto, the hotel's spectacular restaurant. The hotel also offers a high quality continental breakfast. It was such a pleasure to stay in a hotel that had been lovingly renovated. We'll choose the Rialto when we return to Victoria.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple