Coast Victoria Hotel & Marina by APA
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
Embassy Inn(Victoria)
1,781 results
All reviewsblue crabshuttle servicethe indoor outdoor poolfisherman's wharfwater taxifree shuttlegreat hotelminute walkharbour sidehot tubcity viewsmall balconyfront desk staffdowntown areawhale watchingjames baygreat room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Stayed in this hotel for 1 night with my family while visiting my hometown Vancouver.
be there for many times since teenager. Love the location which is near the Paramount and other major attraction with great view and reasonable room rate. Would definitely visit again.

Room Tip: Seaview room are excellent!!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank hzbtang
Reviewed December 22, 2011

We stayed here in January 2011 while we were in town for the Canadian National Figure Skating Championships. I don't know if anything has changed since the time we were there, but I didn't know Trip Advisor existed back then, so I am just now getting around to leaving reviews for several places we have stayed at over the year.

We were very happy with our stay. We drove from Washington to Vancouver and then took the ferry over to Victoria. We have a cat that requires twice daily medicine and if we are driving somewhere it usually makes more financial sense to just bring him with us instead of paying for boarding. I don't remember what the pet fee was offhand, but it was less than it would have cost us to board him. When we first inquired about their pet policy when we made reservations, the girl we talked to was very friendly and told us that they have had all kinds of pets staying there, including birds. This was a huge plus to us because we have run into quite a few hotels in our travels that allow dogs, but not cats and other animals. They also provided pet food and water bowls, pet beds and pet food upon request. We didn't need any of this, but we liked the fact that it was an option. I have found that just because a hotel says they are pet friendly, doesn't necessarily mean that they are literally friendly about pets, but this hotel lived up to the friendly part!

We had a harbour view room. It was a beautiful view, but as others mentioned, the balcony is standing room only. Since it was January, and cold, this wasn't at all a problem, but I wanted to mention it just because some people may not like the small size.

The sea planes start taking off and landing early in the morning, as other reviewers have mentioned. I'm a very light sleeper, and hate waking up early, but the planes honestly didn't bother me at all. Maybe I didn't stay long enough for them to become annoying. My husband is a career pilot so he was like a kid in a candy store with the planes. He thought it was cool that we could watch them land and take off from our room. The ferry also comes in from Port Angeles every morning, and to be honest, I found the horn from the ferry much more annoying than the noise from the planes.

We ran into the maid as we were leaving our room a few times and she was incredibly friendly, which was also a plus. I have found that in general the house keeping staff is either rude or they just ignore you in other hotels (maybe we've just had bad luck) but whoever this lady was, was always very cheerful and friendly in the morning.

We kept our car parked in the under ground lot, and just walked to the Sav-On Foods arena each day (which is just slightly beyond the down town area). It was a good walk, but not a horrible one. It took us about 45 minutes to get there and back each day, and we enjoyed the walk. The hotel isn't in the downtown area, but if you don't want to walk or drive your own car, they had a complimentary shuttle service that you could use. We didn't know the layout of the city when we first arrived, so on that first night we used the shuttle service to find a place to eat downtown. The guy who drove the shuttle was very friendly and personable and he recommended some great places to eat at when we asked. After we learned the layout of the town we didn't use the shuttle again, but its a good option to have if you don't want to walk. They will drop you off where you want to go and pick you back up and bring you back to the hotel.

The restaurant was good too. We only ate breakfast there each morning and had some drinks at night, but I can't complain about either. Our room package had free vouchers for the breakfast buffet and while it wasn't the largest buffet I've ever seen, there was plenty to eat and fill me up. The wait staff was also very friendly. Breakfast did seem a bit expensive if you didn't have the vouchers though.

If we go back to Victoria in the future we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Brooklet425
Reviewed December 17, 2011

I have stayed in this hotel a few times and have never been disappointed. The service is great, the views are spectacular, and the service is good. My only reservations on this hotel are 1) the hotel pool is an indoor outdoor and so I find it chilly and uncomfortable in the winter and 2) the restaurant is very expensive. I don't mind the cost for dinners, but I find the breakfast and lunch menus out of line with other hotels in the area. I would recommend this hotel to anyone but suggest that you go elsewhere for morning meals.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank 651brendam
Reviewed December 15, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Coast Harbourside in Victoria, British Columbia last week and had an amazing stay. The staff at the front desk, the cleaning staff and those in the restaurant have a true customer centred culture and provide excellent service. Clearly the management has done a tremendous job so that all of the staff are engaged and truly want to make ones stay an incredible experience.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 4, 2011

My wife and I and her mother stayed here for a 4 night visit to Victoria, as part of a larger trip down the west coast. We'd visited Victoria before but had always stayed outside the city. This time we wanted to be within walking distance of the harbour area. We were also on a budget so reluctantly decided not to book the Laurel Point, which looks very nice but was $100 a night more. We knew the Coast Harbourside slightly as we'd eaten at its Blue Crab restaurant several times in the past. It had harbour view rooms at a very reasonable price, so we booked two.

For the price I think we were expecting something fairly ordinary - adequate but perhaps no more - but we were surprised. The hotel is pleasant and well-maintained, the staff very helpful, and the rooms well equipped and comfortable. As we knew from the hotel descriptions, the balconies are extremely small - nowhere near large enough for sitting, but they did allow you to step outside to get a 180 degree view, so still worth having.

Victoria has an inner and an outer harbour. The inner harbour seems to be the centre of everything in Victoria, with the parliament building to one side, the Empress hotel on another side and all kinds of interesting activity in and around the harbour. Sadly, you can't see this from the Coast hotel, which does however have fine views of the outer harbour. You see boats coming and going, including the Coho ferry going to and from Port Angeles. And - best of all for me - you can watch the sea planes landing and taking off right in front of you. This goes on all day and is great to see. I think someone in one of the reviews here complained about the noise; they are noisy when taking off but personally I like it and they don't start before 8am, so it's not as if you'll be woken in the middle of the night.

The walk from the hotel into town is very easy and attractive, along the edge of the outer harbour and then a short distance along the road to the inner harbour with all its many attractions. The downtown area with its shops and restaurants are is just off the other side of the inner harbour - maybe 20 minutes pleasant walk from the hotel.

So, I'm giving 4 stars because ideally we'd have liked to be even closer to the inner harbour area, and would also have liked a proper balcony that we could sit on. Having said that, I really can recommend it - it's all good and excellent value too. We would definitely stay there again on another visit to Victoria.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family