“Family friendly & helpful”

Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites
Ranked #15 of 52 Hotels in Victoria
GreenLeadersSilver level
Kennewick, Washington
“Family friendly & helpful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

We spent a long weekend in Victoria and enjoyed out stay at Chateau Victoria. The junior suite was perfect the perfect size for our family (2 adults/2children), with the exception of the very small bathroom. It would've been nice to have a little more space there. The kitchenette area was a nice bonus, though. Our daughters enjoyed the pool, which is very deep, so wouldn't be appropriate for non-swimmers. Apples at the front desk were a nice touch and welcome snack. Front desk staff was very friendly and we appreciated being able to check in quite early. Finally, the free shuttle service was excellent; our two drivers were very friendly and knowledgable about the area.

Hotel is somewhat dated but they are remodeling, so I'm guessing that our room just hasn't been done yet. Carpet, etc. was obviously very old. Linens were acceptable, though, and overall it was clean, so no complaints. We would definitely return, especially with the reasonable rates and friendly service.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank damartinez
mpaul1202, Director of Sales at Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thank you for staying with us Demartinez. Like any good hotel, it's the staff that make the place great and with the upgrades you are seeing, it will only get better. We look forward to your return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

This was my 2nd time staying at this hotel, perfectly located within walking distance of anything you'd ever want to do in downtown Victoria - and there is tons to do and see. My room was so beautiful and clean, I loved it and felt so at home. I was very impressed with how well stocked the kitchen was and wished that my stay was longer so I could utilize it more. Had breakfast upstairs at Vista 18 and it was absolutely delicious and the view is breathtaking. Ordered in some room service for lunch: the warm beet and goat cheese dip was amazing. Highly recommended with friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review Jojomagoo, That feeling of home is what we are hoping for and I am glad you felt it. I'm proud of our team here and I am glad they delivered for you.
Darthmouth, ns
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

I went to Victoria overnight for business and was booked into this hotel be my boss. I was surprised to find two people on the desk for later check out. The lobby was currently under construction and the room was slightly dated but the space was super clean and I was hapy to see two sleeping spots as I was sharing.

The view was amazing and even though there was a slight error at check out, they were able to correct it right away.

Will definetly be going back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review Hotchocolate297. We love to see that you will be back and the upgrades you saw happening will continue.
Port Angeles, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

We arrived at the hotel at 11 am and our room was ready for us. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. Our room was on the small side but the beds are very comfortable and have duvets. We were told that we were the first guests in there after the recent remodel.
While we were there the lobby was being remodeled, but it was only a minor inconvenience, more than made up for by the friendly atmosphere.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
mpaul1202, Director of Sales at Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
We are so happy to hear you like our new rooms. We are happy with the way they turned out but it is your feedback that really counts. We call these rooms Traditional or standard rooms but we do have one and two bedroom suites as well if you really want to stretch out. Just something to keep in mind when you return. We love hopping on the Coho ferry to visit Port Angeles and we hope you like you Victoria getaway too. FYI, Our new Front desk is up and running and our lobby renovations are on schedule for completion in March. We post image updates on the hotel facebook page if interested. Thank you again for visiting and telling others about it.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

The size of the rooms are great, however the rooms are quite dated and the smell of old was quite a turn off, beds were not the most comfy I have slept on but sheets and duvet made it Way better.
The clives lounge is definitly a must see even if you do not stay at chateau Victoria the lounge is beautiful the atmosphere in there was amazing!
Huge turn off to this hotel and probably 90% of the reason I will not stay there again.... There are silver fish... Yuck... I only seen two but I am positive that is what they were I have seen them before! Major turn off!

I also found it strange that on Expedia and other sites the cost of a king suite was $119... However if you book through their website or over the phone through front desk... But yet even though you pay the exact same price for the room either way... The site that should be giving you a "deal" Expedia, bookit...etc. I'd actually costing you more for the room as parking cost $12 when you do not book directly through the hotel... Luckily I found this out before I booked so I booked on their site and got free parking but its a rip off if you ask me!

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Bailey7941
mpaul1202, Director of Sales at Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for your review Bailey, I am happy to see you enjoyed Clive's Classic Lounge. Did you know it is the only bar in Canada to get into the top 10 list of "Worlds Best Hotel Bars" By Tails of the Cocktail? I trust you contacted the front desk when you found Silver Fish? Due to our climate they are in just about every building in Victoria, Seattle and Vancouver so the only way to control them is keep on top of them with spraying. They are harmless but annoying and generally only come out in the dark. The key is to let the hotel know of any issue like this so it can be dealt with immediately. Regarding pricing between hotels and on line travel companies, hotels are mandated by contract to offer the same price for rooms across the hotel site and OTA sites. We offer an incentive of free parking if you book directly with us but we can't lower our bedroom rate.
Victoria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

My wife and I live about an hour away from Victoria. So when we want to go into town for a nice meal and some wine we stay overnight. Off season Victoria rates are only about $100 so it's not a huge hardship.

Usually we stay in the Oswego or the Magnolia. This time we were planning on spending the evening at Clive's Classic Lounge which is in the lobby of the Chateau Victoria so we stayed in the CV.

We booked on Expedia - $119 for a one bedroom upper floor suite.

Checkin was smooth - but it turns out that although the CV website says 'free parking' that only applies if you book with them directly. If you book through Expedia or other online sites then you have to pay for parking - $12. Ahh well - I paid it without too much grumbling though it seemed to me that if you advertise free parking it should be free regardless of how you book it. As it turns out the parking lot is so convoluted that I could easily have parked without paying and noone would have been the wiser.

I think this hotel must have been an old apartment building converted over to hotel. It smells old and the general amenities are pretty dated. Our room was a good size and comfortable. The remote control didn't work but they came and fixed it right away. The bed was comfy, the sheets were clean and nice, the pillows were good and the bathroom/shower were very good.

There's no AC so they have portable units that are hooked to flexible ducting to the outside. So if you want to cool your room you have what looks like a bar fridge on wheels that you turn on and point where you want. It's kinda loud and a bit kludgy but it did the job.

The room was quiet and we got a good night's sleep.

Overall no complaints. Decent value for the money, I guess, though it's pretty dated and the 'old smell' is a bit of a turnoff. Clive's downstairs is probably the best bar in Western Canada for mixology so that's a plus.

There's too many other choices in Victoria for a similar price so I doubt I'd stay here again. So far the Magnolia is my preferred short term stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review Markfromtheisland. Just to clarify some of the points you noted. Parking is not part of our rate offer with on line travel companies like Expedia. They want room only rates and charge a healthy commission to hotels for their marketing strength. Most hotels will or should give you a few incentives to book direct with them. Parking is ours when you book direct through the Trip Advisor site. You are correct in guessing the hotel had condominiums in it's original construction plan which is why most of the building are large one and two bedroom suites. I trust you noticed the renovation underway in our lobby while you were with us in January. We just completed our traditional rooms and the lobby will finish in March. Next winter season, we will work our way up the building with the intent to completely renovate our suites over the next two or three winters. We hope you will try our new rooms on you next trip to Victoria. I am sure you will be impressed.
Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many times and will stay there again. My preference is to stay in one of the suites because they are very spacious and are on the upper floors. The corner rooms are the best because the views are more expansive and the layouts are interesting. I appreciate having a microwave and some dishes available. The beds are very comfortable with cosy duvets.
There was a decent sized TV in both the sitting room and the bedroom. Everything was immaculately clean, thanks to the very gracious Davinder, who tidied up each day.

The reception staff are eagerly helpful and refreshingly cheerful. I was very appreciative of their suggestion that staff give me a lift in the hotel van to my evening meeting instead of calling a taxi.

Clive's Bar was friendly and attentive to the woman on her own. The other restaurant and martini bar is Vista 18 on the top floor of the hotel. I had breakfast there each morning and was able to order exactly what I liked, even though my wishes were not on the menu. Again, great service and food beautifully prepared and presented.

Room Tip: I had room 1108, which had a bed in the sitting room as well as a bed in the second room. This woul...