“THE Place to Stay in Victoria. Excellent staff.”

Best Western Plus Carlton Plaza Hotel
Ranked #18 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Brownwood, Texas
“THE Place to Stay in Victoria. Excellent staff.”
Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

Orignally had reservations for 2 nights at this hotel, but after the 1st night, added 2 more nights to our stay. Hotel is in THE best location.... easy walking distance to great shops, restaurants, harbor, etc. Front desk staff consistently provided very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful information .... far beyond typical hotel service. Gave us wonderful recommendations on restaurants and good directions to attractions. Rooms (we stayed in 2 different size rooms) were clean, bright, nicely furnished and pretty soundproof. We never heard other guests coming or going. Both had large flat screen TVs with plenty of channels to choose from. In room safe gave us peace of mind for our passports, extra cash and laptop while out sightseeing. Hotel Washers & dryers allowed us to pack less clothes and each room had a very high quality iron and fullsize ironing board. Valet parking is extra, but well worth the daily charge as you can request your car as often as you like with frendly fast service. We found the Best Western Plus Carlton Plaza Hotel room rates to be an excellent value for the quality, location and excellent service. We plan a return trip next year and will definitely stay here again. Highly recommend this hotel

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Redtechie
ChrisWatson27, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Carlton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thank you very much to the writer for such a nice review of our hotel. We strive to provide excellent customer service, and are happy the reviewer was satisfied with the amenities at the property. The biggest compliment is when our guests are excited to come back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I traveled to Victoria recently for a conference and chose this hotel because it was both pet friendly (I have a Boxer puppy) and offered a room with a kitchenette. When I booked, the front desk kindly offered me a special deal that I hadn't been aware of - so I ended up with a fabulous nightly rate. On arrival the staff were terrific: very helpful and accommodating (even offering treats for my pooch!). The room itself was perfect - a king-sized bed overlooking the city with the kitchenette and sofa slightly separated from the sleeping area. Also, the kitchen was well equipped with a few pots and pans, a kettle, a toaster and a decent sized fridge. I would definitely recommend this hotel and am sure I will visit again.

Room Tip: My king-sized kitchenette room was #620.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
ChrisWatson27, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Carlton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2012
Thank you very much Simone for the kind review of our hotel. We always love to see a few dogs at the hotel, and we keep our pet charge at a minimal $10 to ensure this continues. Of course there are a few rules around bringing pets, so it is important that this is confirmed when making the reservation.

Thank you again Simone, we are excited to see you and the puppy again.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We found a hidden gem in the heart of Victoria. This hotel is within walking distance of pretty well everything you would want to visit in downtown Victoria. We stayed in a suite which had a full kitchen and everything you needed to make a meal as well as a living room area which made it feel almost like home. The staff was very friendly and accommodating and although it is an older building it was spotlessly clean as well. Your car is valet parked for $12.00/day which is very handy right downtown and delivered to the front door whenever you want it. There is a lovely restaurant adjacent to the lobby for breakfast lunch and dinner. This was a steal as the price was very very reasonable which is hard to find in the middle of tourist season in downtown Victoria. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: If you are staying a few days ask for an upgrade to a suite.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Louise L
Thank you Louise for your kind comments, and the review of the Carlton Plaza Hotel. I’m glad to hear that having a studio suite, with a full kitchen, helped during your time in Victoria. Victoria has so many wonderful restaurants, including the stone’s throw restaurant adjacent to the lobby. Nevertheless, it always helps to make a meal or two on your own and save a bit of money.
Maple Ridge, Canada
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Stayed here recently on business, as my preferred Victoria property is no longer on the government list of approved accommodation. First surprise? No dedicated driveway or parking on site. Drive up to the curb, unload, and your car is whisked away to a destination unknown. But I was suddenly a bit embarrassed by my little business putt-putt, that gets a semi-annual wash and yearly vacuuming... This hotel is located downtown, but away from the legislature/waterfront and close to the fringes of touristy area of downtown. There are some rather dubious looking characters on the street, and this business oriented area of downtown doesn't offer a lot to people after hours, with fast food and 7-11 nearby, so a short walk in the immediate vicinity is not very rewarding.

The lobby is modern, compact and well appointed, the staff are attentive and well trained. The third floor basic room design is a bit sub-par, as the window is small and the sill is high, with a view over Johnson Street, to a roof crammed with satellite dishes. Obviously if your budget is higher, a room higher in the building, with bigger windows will provide a good view across the city to the legislature and the harbor. I think this is more a function of a modern hotel being forced into an old (heritage?) building, and the compromises that sometimes go with that sort of thing. The other stuff though was exactly what one would expect. A perfectly good, well appointed bathroom, a comfortable bed, and everything one would otherwise expect in a business hotel room. But check for windows and views before booking, if that's important to you.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Blackbirdguy
First of all I would like to thank the writer for their detailed review of the hotel and the kind comments about our staff. I am glad to hear that your overall experience was good. Yes, the Carlton Plaza is a heritage building, built in 1912, making this our 100th year anniversary.

As far as the comment about our location, I must disagree. Our hotel is situation right in the very centre of downtown, close to absolutely everything. Most all the top restaurants are within a few minutes walk, and shopping is right out the door. I truly believe a very short walk is extremely rewarding. In fact, I walk through the inner harbour everyday, it takes seven minutes.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We stayed at this hotel and found it to be both friendly and conveniently located. It was a little "crazy" since the traffic was busy and there isn't much of a drop off area; but they were very efficient with their check-in, excellent knowledge and information about local sites and eateries and ALL of the staff were very friendly! The only surprise we had was that there was no parking and our vehicle was driven to a lot and retrieved upon request! Not a problem; just a surprise!

Would stay there again or the other Best Western Inner Harbour which was just as pleasant an experience!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much Orenda for the nice comments about your stay. I’m very glad our staff’s knowledge of the city proved to be a benefit during your stay.

Due to the age of our building (100 years old this fall) there is no onsite parking. We valet park guest vehicles one block up the street in a gated lot. For peace of mind, the area is both locked and monitored by security.
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We were concerned about the location on a busy street and the lack of street/lot parking for this hotel. I was very surprised when I was asked for $12's daily for a parking valet fee. At first I thought 'no way' I'll find my own parking. It turned out to be one of the best deals of the trip!! The staff were friendly and helpful. We could leave our car at the front of the hotel and not give it another thought until we needed it. Many attractions were within walking distance so if we had paid for street parking the cost would have been more- plus we had the comfort of knowing the car was off the street at night. A blow dryer was broken and the staff was there fast to replace it! The hotel is one of the older buildings in Victoria so expect some 'heritage charm' 8-) but they are doing constant upgrades and overall we really enjoyed our stay. Since we used travel points I am not sure how the value compares to surrounding hotels but I would return again!

Room Tip: Higher floors give you a better view but the elevator is quite small so be prepared to wait your tur...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
HotelGeneralManager, General Manager at Best Western Plus Carlton Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
I'd like to thank the writer for their review of our hotel. All hotels downtown Victoria charge for parking. I guess our angle is we do charge $12 per day, (the least by the way downtown) BUT we provide valet parking. If a guest wishes to park their own vehicle in our gated lot, the bellman/valet attendant will ride shotgun along to direct the guest how to get there. I would say our parking situation is a benefit to most.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 13, 2012

First, the good things. The staff was terrific. The location was convenient. The neighborhood was in that "funky" kind of area where you find vintage clothes, used bookstores, and record shops(yes, record shops). And if you had a room that faced the right direction, you probably had a really nice view. I had a kind of dull and boring view of a rooftop, and found myself battling the heater ( end of May, but it was cool) all weekend. There was not a lot in terms of options for blankets and pillows. The bathroom was clean, but sort of industrial. Tiny, tiny closet. I was one person only, staying for one night, and didn't really have enough room for clothes. It was farther from the ferry dock than I would have expected, which meant I needed to reserve extra time to walk all the way down. It was just the sort of distance where you don't want to take a cab, but the walk with luggage is harder than you'd think.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Thanks to the writer for their review. Being a downtown hotel located amongst other buildings, there is bound to be some views that are good and acceptable and some of roof tops. Obviously, there is little that can be done about that. I would like to mention that all of our guest rooms are furnished with extra pillows and a blanket. As well, if a guest needs more, we have plenty that we could provide at anytime.