“Renovating but I suspect will be brilliant after.”

Best Western Plus Inner Harbour
Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in Victoria
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 4, 2013

They are renovating. I wish I would have known. The pictures in the review below are accurate.
BUT: the staff are something else. They are absolutely incredible. A fantastically kind young man named Lee was helpful: told me where to rent a car, told me where grocery stores were, told me where I could find food late at night, directed me to other places in the city. A very nice girl named Erica called a cab promptly at 6:15 AM, called the room ahead to advise me of its impending arrival. I stayed on Toronto time and housekeeping had no problem with late room cleaning. Didn't partake in breakfast. The rooms on the inside were clean, typical Best Western. Free parking.
1. Get rid of the silly soap dispenser things
2. Improve toiletries
3. Give a fantastic pat on the back to all of the staff who make this place special
4. Keep the parking free. Was the only reason I stayed here. I would have gone to the Empress otherwise.
4/5 for the renovation disaster, otherwise this is definitely a 5/5 place, and will stay here again in Victoria, only for the staff.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SugarSammy
BWIH_Manager, General Manager at Best Western Plus Inner Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know what you liked about your stay with us, and all your comments. We really appreciated these, as they help us get a pulse on what our guests are enjoying and what areas we can work on.

We apologize for any inconvenience the renovations caused you during your stay earlier this month. With any renovation in the public spaces, it is especially challenging to manage and the staff have worked extra hard during this transition to try and minimize the interruptions as much as possible. We really appreciate the understanding and patience of our guests, many of whom have told us that the work did not bother their stay. The project is nearing its close, with the rest of the hallway wallpaper being installed next week, finishing touches in the lobby, and then hallways carpets installed next month.

Thanks so much for your high praise of our staff, who I am so proud to have representing our team every day. They are a very special group who specialize in delivering the best in personal service, that our guests often compliment us on.

Thank you again for all your comments, and we look forward to showing off the new look to you and all our guests very soon!

Joanne Mills

Write a ReviewReviews (1,929)

Reviewed March 2, 2013

My husband and I reserved this hotel with our travel agent in New Zealand. I thought best western are pretty standard and you know what you are generally going to get. The hotel was not cheap but as a teenager I stayed in better $20 backpackers then this. I would give it zero stars if that was an option.
When we arrived the whole place was in renovation. There was no lobby and the walls were all scraped down as painting was going on. They front desk staff told me renovations were going on and they had sent a memo but obviously my travel agent had not got it.
The rooms didn't give you milk for coffee and there wasn't even toiletries in the bathroom just a wall mounted dispenser with shampoo and conditioner. How cheap is that?
The headboard fell off of one of the beds and the room looked like it hasn't been changed since 1970.
All of that I could put up with but when I walked into my hallway and there was a guy sanding with a noisy electric sander and a masque on blowing dust everywhere I had enough.
I have allergies and I went to talk to front desk about moving me. They said construction was happening everywhere so there was no point moving me (which I think was a lie as there is no way they could have been renovating the whole building at the same time. They said I could check out early but that did not help me as I had already paid for it with my travel agent in New Zealand and it isn't easy to change. So basically they said lump it :(
The fitness room is a joke as it is a treadmill in basically a closet and the buffet was very average with poor coffee.
But it gets better. My husband wakes up the 2nd day with a rash on his neck and we think it is from the bedding. As soon as we checked out and stayed at a hotel in Vancouver it went away.
I truly can't think of anything good to say about our stay and I would never ever ever stay at a best western again.

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank Kkruger1
BWIH_Manager, General Manager at Best Western Plus Inner Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Dear Mrs. Kruger,

I appreciate you taking the time to post a review of your stay with us in February, which was during the peak of our renovations, and I apologize that we did not meet your expectations.

As I mentioned to you when we spoke on the afternoon of your second day, I am truly sorry that the information regarding the scheduled renovations was not provided to you or your Travel Agent. It was our absolute intention that this renovation message was made available to all of our booking partners.

I am sorry that the solutions I provided to you and your husband during your stay were not acceptable. We appreciate all feedback from our guests as that assists us in making improvements and I thank you again for your sharing your comments.

Rachel Dickinson

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Great location, super staff all of them. Clean place, nice sheets and 10/10 breakfast included.
Highly recommend it! Staff were very upbeat, they even had menus of nearby restaurants and we very helpful. The staff enjoyed working in the great atmosphere that the manager enabled. I will definitely stay with them again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
BWIH_Manager, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Inner Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear Marcel,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your glowing compliments of our hotel. We truly appreciate that you chose to stay with us on your recent visit to Victoria and sincerely hope to welcome you back again soon.

Thank you also for noting how impressed you were with all it is we that we offer - from the great location and clean rooms to the "10/10 breakfast" and wonderfully upbeat staff. We are in the business of customer service and it warms the heart to hear that we certainly delivered an all accounts for you.

Again, we hope to welcome you back to the hotel on your next trip to the island.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

My daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay here!! The staff were amazing! including the contractor working on the renovations. The room was extremely comfortable and spacious overlooking the habour was such a treat. Location is very convenient, within walking distance of most everything. The front desk staff were very helpful in offering directions and general information. We will definitely want to stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank FrancesFrancesca

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to beautiful Victoria. We are so pleased to hear that you found our hotel to be such excellent value, with the full hot breakfast buffet, central Inner Harbour location, and caring & personal service from our staff.
Thank you also for the "shout-out" to our contractor who is working so hard to complete our lobby and hallway renovations. You will have to return soon to see the beautiful finished look!

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Everything was fine - excellent location right across from the ferry terminal from the USA. The room was large with a small kitchen and a small living room (with a couch).

The location allowed us to visit all sites on foot and also we walked to the Seaplane terminal - so it was super convenient.

I hated the breakfast - although it was free, it was of the lowest quality. They seem to try to save money on everything, so the taste of everything there was horrible. I'm very disappointed. The room we had to eat in was also too small. It was stuffy and people kept bumping into each other.

Also, there was a jar for tips - the woman who worked there was grumpy, didn't smile so why should we tip her? We had to also put our plates away ourselves - sorry I'm not a maid. I paid for service and should get service and not have to pick after myself. Ridiculous! Plus she wanted a tip! This was the low point of my otherwise perfect stay. Stay away from the breakfast and go to a proper restaurant for a full service breakfast or even McDonald's is better!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Girafe22

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of your room and the convenience of our central Inner Harbour location.

Please accept my apologies that we did not meet your expectations regarding the complimentary full breakfast buffet that is offered. I appreciate your feedback regarding your experience as this helps us to identify any areas that may need attention, especially as service is a priority for us.

I truly hope that you enjoyed your visit to Victoria in December and we would very much appreciate the opportunity to be of service to you again.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

My wife and I recently spent a few days in Victoria and our visit was greatly enhanced by our stay at the Best Western Plus Inner Harbour. The hotel location was great but equally great was its fine staff and facility. It is currently undergoing renovations but that did not detract in any way from a very enjoyable stay. The facility will only look more modern and feel better in the future. If you are looking for a great price, location, comfortable room, free breakfast and parking, and an accommodating staff, then this should be the hotel of your choice for your stay in Victoria. You can be certain that we plan to be back there ourselves in the near future.

Two Very Satisfied Guests

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed here on Wedneasday January 23rd 2013. We arrived around 11:30 AM to check in, but didn't expect our room to be ready, but to our surprise it was. The young lady on the front desk was very welcoming, friendly and helpful and if we needed anything at all to let her know. We had a lovely room over looking the waterfront, which was spacious and also had a kitchen. It was every well kept and comfortable to sleep there and it had secured underground parking. There is a complementary breakfast which is also very nice. It is within walking distance to almost everything in downtown Victoria BC, which is nice. The prices are reasonable also. I have stayed here before and would again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the waterfront are nice, but the rooms to the back are nice to, as you just have to walk ou...