“Great location, clean, reasonably priced”

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #39 of 52 Hotels in Victoria
Kootenays, BC, Canada
“Great location, clean, reasonably priced”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

We've stayed here several times now & always enjoyed it. Price was right (about $100), rooms are nicely laid out, clean, all the appropriate amenities, and while we didn't use the breakfast option, we've heard nothing but good things. Furthermore, the staff has always been welcoming & helpful, which is important to me when I'm away from home.

I love the location, which is close to restaurants & the Mayfair Mall. Even if my husband has business, leaving me car-less, I can walk to whatever I need.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, nor would I have a problem recommending this hotel to my friends & family.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Leiden, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

Stayed here for two nights.
Room was spacious and clean. In the morning a newspaper was delivered. Breakfast was good..
Nothing wrong with this hotel. Would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank P H
Vancouver, B.C.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

Recently I had to stay in Victoria, but the hotel I usually stay at - The Red Lion Inn - was fully booked. It was, admittedly, a night's stay booked just shy of a week before. (Pretty much the way I usually plan a weekender trip!) Throw in a bike race in town that weekend and my hotel options were more limited than usual. The important criteria for choosing a hotel for me are: location, cleanliness, and a restful sleep, i.e. quiet and comfortable bed and pillow.

While the Comfort Hotel & Conference Centre gets a check mark on all of the aforementioned, where it lacked was value for money. I mean, who doesn't like the feeling of getting a lot for what you paid for? We all do.

Let's set the groundwork for value for money: on this stay, I paid $142.80 ($125 + $17.80 taxes) for the night for my six-year-old son and myself. My previous stay in Victoria was in May at The Red Lion Inn that had me pay $86.26 ($75.00 + $11.26 taxes).

Let's take a moment and compare the two hotels: both hotels are 3-star and clean; They are within a 10 minute walk of each other. It's a fair comparison.

The Comfort Hotel (CH) includes breakfast and The Red Lion Inn (RL) does not. The RL gives you a 10% off at the Chinese restaurant attached to the hotel. The CH has a "gym" on-site, whereas the RL gives you a free pass to the Fitness World located across the street. The CH has a pub and the RL has a sports lounge. The CH's hallways and elevator are a little brighter.

So, now that we have determined that it's a fair comparison, the question is: is the CH worth the extra money? Well, let's put the gym in perspective: the in-house gym at the CH is nothing to write home about. The equipment is very old and, in the case of the univeral gym, rusting. I'll tell you this much, I wouldn't trust that bench press with the way it's handle sways from side to side as you hold it. I'll give the RL the advantage on this one. Fitness World is a good gym.

As I was travelling with my young son, I didn't use the pub at the CH. I also haven't used the sports lounge at the RL. Let's give them both the benefit of the doubt that they deliver what they promise with their services and call that a draw.

The CH also lists a jacuzzi tub as one of it's amenities, but it wasn't operational when I was there. The RL doesn't have a jacuzzi. Let's assume that the CH's jacuzzi normally is in working order, so we'll give the CH a tentative advantage on this feature.

That brings us to the breakfast. The CH breakfast was good - not great, but good. My last breakfast included in a stay was in Montreal at a hotel that is in a whole 'nother price range, so it was much better, but that one is not a fair comparison.

Conclusion:
The Red Lion Inn doesn't include breakfast, but at $56.54 cheaper per night, I just have to give The Red Lion Inn a big thumb's up over the Comfort Hotel & Conference Centre. It's not that the Comfort Hotel experience was bad - it wasn't at all, it just wasn't worth an extra $56.54 for breakfast for one adult and a child and an out-of-order jacuzzi. Perhaps if the rate you pay when you stay at the Comfort Hotel is considerably better than the rate I got, then perhaps it might be worth a look. Me? Next time I come to Victoria - and that probably won't be long from now - I will go back to The Red Lion Inn.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank PowerGridFan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

Entire Hotel looked and smelled clean. Beds were very comfortable. Everything in the room worked. Nothing was quick fixed like you see in cheap hotels. The price was very reasonable. The included breakfast was one of the best I have ever seen. Ample room to sit down and enjoy your breakfast. I will stay here again next time I'm in Victoria.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

Cheap inn AND very clean, quiet, close to downtown (10min by car) and free breakfast / internet / parking. Of course, not very fancy but who cares...

1 Thank Matthieu V
Terrace, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

The rooms were very clean and were fairly large for a hotel room. Even the bathroom was fairly spacious. The location is great if you don't want to be directly in the downtown area as this hotel is a walk away from the Mayfair mall easy to get to downtown by car,walking or by bus, next to the Mayfair mall, has a number of restaurants nearby.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights while attending the Victoria Highland Games. Rooms were top notch, with lots of space to spread out. The group booking staff were great to work with, with good communication. The beds and pillows were excellent and the A/C worked great.
The staff were great, and despite so many people going through the morning hot breakfast buffet, there was never a lack of food. Excellent value for our money.
Did not get a chance to try the pool or spa, but there is always next time - will be back!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends