“No wind, but still, a pleasant sail.”
Review of 3-Hour Sail

3-Hour Sail
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Smell the gentle ocean breeze as it lures you away from the dock through Victoria’s bustling inner harbour and out into the beautiful Strait of Juan de Fuca aboard Tall Ship Thane. All guests young and old are encouraged to participate in sailing; so tug on the sheets that haul the sails. As we begin silently swooshing through the ocean, become mesmerized by the magnificent snow-capped Olympic Mountains and the majesty of the City of Victoria. Relax and savor your picnic or a sip of wine as we keep our eyes peeled for some of BC’s world famous killer whales, or sea lions and bald eagles. Swap tales with other guests and try to stump the crew with questions, we’re rich with history. And if we don’t really know the answer, be prepared for a wee tale!
Reviewed August 11, 2012

A mixed bag review. I'm a local and I like trying local things so I can recommend them to tourists that I meet at work. Couvon had a 2 for 1 and I was thrilled to take advantage of that.
Our first conversation with Sue on boarding the ship was to be chastised for our footwear. No 'Hello and welcome!', just "Those are terrible!" and on looking at husband's boots "Those are even worse!" due to the metal lace hooks. We are not sailors, and all we knew was not to wear sandals aboard. We felt terrible! We were respectful of the ship and were very careful but surely there is a better way to greet your guests and let them know what to be aware of. So from the first moment we had a bad taste in our mouth. We felt awful, a little bit bullied, and that never really left us for the duration of the trip.
No wind, but still a pleasant sail and it was interesting to get a different perspective on the coastline from the water. Len did shut the engines off for a while so at least we got to experience the feeling a little bit. Nature is fickle and we were a little disappointed but no big deal.
After being so gruff with greeting us and giving the safety lecture, Sue was surprisingly supportive of me when I just couldn't make myself walk out on the net to sit on the bowsprit.
Len had great stories to tell and a highlight was when he fired the little cannon at a whale watching boat...hilarious!
I'm glad others have had great experiences with their sails and I would recommend this excursion to others because maybe we just caught Sue on a bad day.
My advice to them is to realize that they may have hosted a zillion sails, but this is most likely their customers first time out. I work with the public and I know how frustrating that can be but you have to suck it up, slap on the smile and try to be professional.
Also, your customers want to escape and do something different and exciting. They don't want to hear about how much you hate the whale watchers, how much you'd rather just be out on the open ocean sailing or other negative comments.
Would I recommend this? Sure, because everyone has an off day and I understand that. However, I can't be too enthusiastic about it after our experience.

1  Thank Moochiecat
Sue P, Owner at 3-Hour Sail, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We remember you two! You sat on the starboard side forward for the duration of the trip. We are sorry you felt singled out when we called your footwear. Typically when guests arrive they are all given the “ metal buckles, hooks, D rings, zippers, clips, snaps, etc talk” dockside. We explain that our decks are made of fir, which is a soft wood and as such damages irreparably when people accidentally lie on their belt buckle or catch the metal D ring of their hiking boot on the cabin top . We then point out some of the more serious scars so people understand the serious damage that can occur. Unfortunately you showed up late. As a result, when you boarded Len was deliberately vocal, in this case about the man’s hiking boots, and me, about the women's metal clad shoes, as a method of getting your attention and more importantly to remind us to give you the ‘talk’. When guests show up late and are inappropriately dressed the risk of damage to the boat is increased incredibly. We are on a tight schedule. We are required by Transport Canada to give the safety talk before exiting the harbour. There are guests who will have questions, special needs etc. while going through the safety talk and history has shown it is easy for us to get distracted and forget to go through the “ talk’ with latecomers. We have definitely learned from this experience. When booking we used to advise our guests to wear jeans and sneakers and bring along a bag with extra gear. Now we are more explicit and say please make sure your pants and shoes have no big metal clips, buckles or zippers as we are trying to protect the woodwork. So thanks for the feedback. BTW ,on your next sailing adventure, be advised that most sailboats expect footwear to be soft soled, scuff-proof and free of buckles and clips of any type. Happy trails and sails!

All reviews
"spend an afternoon"
in 5 reviews
"fascinating history"

Reviewed May 18, 2012

I enjoyed this trip. Myself, Wife, and parents accompanied us on this tour. We found the hosts welcoming and fun to be around. They supplied us with jackets and pants which was nice since once your out of the harbor its cool from the wind. No drinks served but we where allowed to bring our own. Which was better since we just brought a case of beer. I wish that the trip was longer. Both hosts talk and entertain you throughtout the duration of the sail. Some people hung out at the back and quitly talked while others conversed amoumg other guests. I would recommend this trip as a calm relaxing sail.

1  Thank polarpheonix
Reviewed September 28, 2011

A well spent three hours on the water. Len and Sue are very accommodating and knowledgeable. Got to relax, enjoy the ride and see the sights from a different angle. Being able to bring your own supplies (food and beverages) onboard is a definite plus. We learnt about the history of the boat and area and even were able to help out in the various aspects of sailing. I would certainly recommend this to friends and family.

Reviewed July 3, 2011

The tour guides Sue and Len are a incredibly team. They are funny and from the start began getting the people on the boat comfortable with their jokes. They make light of the safety demonstrations keeping people amused and entertained. You can help sail or sit back and relax. The BYOB is fantastic. Our group shared a couple of drinks and it was a relief from the 6-8 dollars bar prices around the wharf. The bay is cold once your in open waters, but they have enough gear for everyone to wear. By the end of the trip almost everyone was had on a blanket, jacket and pants. The conversations went from whale information, politics, to specific sailing math only Len could understand. Some people chated the entire time, while others sat back and relaxed. The water was beautiful and once back at the harbor I felt remorse for having to leave the tranquility of the sea. You wont find another laid back, interesting, wonderful couple around. No charge for booking, no cancellation fee, no money upfront. They do business the way it suppose to be. This is there passion, feel lucky they let you come for the ride.