“CVS bus tour is better and cheaper'”
Review of Big Bus Victoria

Big Bus Victoria
Ranked #62 of 110 Tours in Victoria
Type: Bus Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Whether you want to visit major attractions, spend time shopping or visit some of the finest restaurants, Big Bus Victoria is on the route. Our 90 minutes sightseeing tour with on board commentary gives you the best way to see the main attractions of our beautiful city.Tickets are valid for 2 days, so you can hop on - hop off at any stop at your leisure.Butchart Gardens tours also available
Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

We spent $37 on a 3 day ticket and realized after that the service stopped around 4pm which wasn't too useful for getting back to town or going to dinner. I also noticed on the 3rd day that the CVS hop on hop off was a much better value at $22 for 3 days. I wish we had purchased that. I didn't like the tour recording.

7  Thank Fattycat3
"government st"
"craigdarroch castle"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed August 16, 2012

We just moved to Victoria and figured a good way to see the downtown area would be to take one of these sightseeing buses. As we were without a car, it would also be our transport.

I found a deal on their website where the purchase of a two-day pass gifted us a third day for free. We were able to do the purchase on-line, print the voucher and board the bus at a stop that was just outside our condo. Very convenient.

Their schedule and maps are quite detailed and if you take the time to work it out, it is possible to jump off one bus and hop on another going an opposite direction to get to any one place. Their arrival times are quite accurate with the exception of some construction that caused a detour and some delay for one bus.

There are three buses and drivers that do a continuous loop. One driver was quite friendly...he picked us up even though we weren't at the right bus stop. One driver was very friendly...answered questions and added interesting tidbits. The last driver is extremely friendly and gave a very informative and funny commentary throughout out the whole trip. At one point, he was even mimicing the taped audio.

The tour went into areas I wouldn't walk through because it's residential, the streets are narrow and the traverse would be up and down steep hills. The tour did bring me to some areas which I will see again with a car such as the Oak Bay Marina, Beach Dr. and Beacon Hill. Certainly some "million dollar" views.

I wish their bus stop could be more clearly marked. We would have been in the right place to be picked up if there was a sign.

I would recommend this for anyone who has just arrived in Victoria whether to live or to visit. It points out landmarks and covers enough of the downtown core that it will give you an idea of where you want to go and what you want to see.

1  Thank jdglek
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I recently visited Victoria & before going, purchased the 'buy 2 day pass, get 3rd free' on-line. I had contacted Big Bus prior to that just to make sure I had the hop-on/hop-off concept straight etc & was answered very quickly by Jerry Dolejs who was very helpful. After purchasing the tickets (4 in total - travelling with 70-year old parents & sister), I read some of the reviews on here & needless to say, was wondering if I had made a mistake. I was thrilled to find out that I had not made a mistake!

I don't know if personnel from Big Bus read some of the reviews here or what, but I did not encounter any of the problems previously reported. Yes, it is a recording and not a live person giving the tour info, but for me, that was not an issue. On more than one occasion, if we encountered traffic and the recording was about to get ahead of the points of interest, it was stopped by our driver until we were under way again. We also never had any problems with the driver stopping to pick us up at any of the stops, whether the bus was almost full or empty.

The first day of the 3-day pass, we did the complete 23 stop loop. My sister & I had been to Victoria before, so this gave our parents a chance to see an overview of the city sights, and where they may want to hop off and see more of. The last time I was in Victoria, aside from a 2 day trip to Tofino, I limited my stay to downtown & the inner harbour. On the Big Bus Victoria tour, I was able to see other areas of the city that I missed before.

The 2nd day we didn't end up using the pass because of another day trip. But the 3rd day, we took the Big Bus Victoria to Oak Bay Marina, then back over the Johnson Street bridge to Spinnakers for lunch.

The drivers were friendly and courteous and, in fact, all four of our tickets were on one bill. When we finished lunch at Spinnakers, our mom needed a rest & wanted to head back to the hotel. My sister & I wanted to walk the path along the inner harbour by Spinnakers. When the Big Bus stopped for the pick-up, we showed the driver the receipt & he let our parents hop on to head back to the hotel, while my sister & I held onto the receipt so we could hop back on later in the day.

I think this is a fantasic way to get around in Victoria. If purchasing the 2-day ticket, I would highly recommend taking the time to do the entire loop so you know the nearest places to hop on/hop off, and just where you want to take time to see more.

2  Thank stilltheboss
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Great Bus Tour for "Hop On - Hop Off". Better if you buy two days pass. You can get off any bus stop and visit the places and do the shopping you like and than get on the next bus. We got on the open top bus, the driver was very informative and friendly. Kids enjoyed the ride very much.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 12, 2012

With only a few hours in Victoria, we wanted to get a feel for the city and the big Bus tour was perfect. We really didn't have time for the hop-on hop off, so the city tour they offered was was perfect. It took us to many interesting neighborhoods, and the guide shared many facts about the city.It was about two hours and gave a much wider view of the different sections of the city than the cruise tour offered. In addition, it was cheaper (only 25$). At the end of the tour we were dropped off right at our ship, and If we had known earlier we could have taken the Big Bus from the ship and saved the shuttle fee to the city. Nice people, nice tour, convenient and reasonable.

1  Thank jprof