“Efficient Service”

Ranked #17 of 182 things to do in Victoria
More attraction details
Owner description: Black Ball Ferry Line operates the M.V. Coho passenger and vehicle ferry linking Victoria, B.C. on Vancouver Island with Port Angeles, WA on the scenic Olympic Peninsula. During the 90 minute crossing, enjoy the ship's many amenities including the cafeteria, gift shop, duty free store, comfortable interior lounges, solarium and pet-friendly areas. Year round daily service is provided. Save big by booking a ferry and hotel stay with our exclusive package deals! In addition to our great prices at the region's favorite hotels, we'll pay your reservation fee for a guaranteed space on your desired sailing time when you book a package. Our Captain and Crew look forward to welcoming you on board the ship!
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access
Leominster, Massachusetts
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 121 helpful votes
“Efficient Service”
Reviewed August 8, 2010

We rode the Coho ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria. They were very efficient in terms of boarding as well as customs in Canada (much better than our 90 minutes in line to cross the board on I-5). The boat was very basic but the food in the cafe was good.

1 Thank sdavi

• Korean first
Qualicum Beach, B.C.
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Very convenient and friendly ferry service”
Reviewed July 22, 2010

We recently returned from a trip to Seattle to Victoria via the Coho Ferry and found it to be a very convenient and friendly service. We took the Washington State Ferry from downtown Seattle to Bainbridge Island and enjoyed a leisurely drive through this lovely area, arriving at Port Angeles for a late afternoon ferry back to Vancouver Island. The staff were very friendly and helpful, getting our vehicle squeezed onto a full ferry and saving us a wait for the next sailing. Passing through Canadian customs and immigration was quick and easy once we disembarked and was so much more convenient than creeping along in a hot car over a border crossing. We look forward to taking the ferry again and exploring more of the Olympic Peninsula as well as the Seattle area.

1 Thank comfortseeker1
MVCohoVictoria, Manager at Black Ball Ferry Line, responded to this review, August 3, 2010
Dear Traveler,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our ferry service. We are so glad that our friendly staff made an impression on you. We look forward to having you on board again!

WA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Don't Lose A Ticket”
Reviewed March 29, 2010

When you purchase your ticket on Black Ball Ferry, they give you a physical ticket- like what you'd get at a carnival. You take this ticket to a worker at the entrance to the ship and he lets you on board. If you pre-pay for a round-trip they give you both sets of tickets- one for your trip now, and one set of tickets for your return trip.

My wife and I purchased round-trip tickets and later found that we lost the return-trip tickets (not hard to do given their small size and cheap feel). I thought this wouldn't be a big deal. I had purchased my tickets online so they knew exactly when I was coming and going and had all my information. I was wrong. After talking with workers on the Canadian side and the American side and calling the adminisration desk, no one could help.

I thought I had purchased a trip on a Ferry, but no, I had purchased tickets, and because I lost those tickets, no one could do anything for me. (My argument was that because I had purchased a seat on the Ferry, not paper tickets, losing the tickets is irrelevent). So, I purchased a second set of return-trip tickets with every worker understanding I had already paid once for this trip but telling me there was nothing they could do (how about let my wife and I on the ship?).

I admit, I shouldn't have lost my tickets, but the extremely rude, unpleasant feedback I received made me feel like they were talking to a sailor on a fishing boat rather than a customer on their Ferry line.

5 Thank HapTripCap
MVCohoVictoria, President & C.O.O. at Black Ball Ferry Line, responded to this review, July 19, 2010
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to review our ferry service, we do always appreciate the feedback whether it is positive, or when it points out areas where we can improve. I would like to begin by apologizing for the inconvenience and unnecessary distress you experienced when you traveled with Black Ball Ferry Line. Our current ticketing system allows people the flexibility of using their ferry tickets at any time, we treat them as currency. Having a system like this allows our customers to use their return tickets whenever they are ready, they are not tied down to any specific date or sailing time. If you have the misfortune of misplacing your tickets, it is the same as misplacing cash. If the tickets were left somewhere they could be found and used by someone else, or were you to find your tickets later you would be able to use them at anytime, they do not expire. While the idea behind this system is to give flexibility to our customers, we do acknowledge that this can lead to stress on the part of the customer if they lose their ticket. We will certainly consider this as we continue to move forward and change as a company.

I would also like to apologize for any rudeness that you experienced, as a company we strive to achieve high levels of customer service and this situation could have been handled in a much more professional manner. Our staff would have been following our policies in that the tickets sold are not connected to specific seats or sailings, however, we are addressing the way in which our staff communicate this to our customers. Based on your review we are enhancing our customer service training to ensure that our ticket sellers are able to effectively communicate how our tickets work. It is important that our customers know that while the tickets are good for any sailing, they must have the physical tickets with them in order to make use of them. By communicating this clearly to our customers when they purchase round trip tickets, we will be able to avoid further situations like your own. Please contact our Sales & Marketing office at 250-386-6035 as we would like to give you the opportunity to try our ferry service again as a thank you for your feedback, and because we do care greatly about our customer’s experience. Black Ball Ferry Line has been operating for just over 50 years and many of our staff members have been with us for 30 years or more. As such, our organization is like a family, and we try to treat each and every passenger as a part of our extended Black Ball Ferry Line family. Our success over the years has been reliant on our loyal return customers, and we truly appreciate the significance of this. Thank you again for you constructive feedback.

Ryan Burles
President & C.O.O.
Port Angeles, Washington
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Coho Blackball Ferry”
Reviewed October 14, 2009

Not used to traveling with passports, I found it a little stressful, not much though. The customs people on both sides were very helpful. I thought it was strange that you couldn't sit in your car like on WA ferries, but it was easy to wile away the time. The boat ride over and back was really nice and we even saw a whale out in the middle of the straits. It was a nice rocking where I felt like laying down and taking a nap. It really didn't take long for security to check out passports and get the dogs around the vehicles. I would recommend the ride, it's similar to the ferry rides in WA.

2 Thank EdenScapes1
MVCohoVictoria, Manager at Black Ball Ferry Line, responded to this review, July 9, 2010
Dear Traveler,

Thank you very much for your positive review. We are glad that you enjoyed your trip on board the MV Coho and that your customs experience was as stress free as possible. We hope to have you on board again soon!