“Made my trip to Victoria super easy!”

Black Ball Ferry Line
Ranked #17 of 203 things to do in Victoria
More attraction details
Owner description: Black Ball Ferry Line operates the M.V. Coho passenger and vehicle ferry linking Victoria, B.C. on Vancouver Island with Port Angeles, WA on the scenic Olympic Peninsula. During the 90 minute crossing, enjoy the ship's many amenities including the cafeteria, gift shop, duty free store, comfortable interior lounges, solarium and pet-friendly areas. Year round daily service is provided. Save big by booking a ferry and hotel stay with our exclusive package deals! In addition to our great prices at the region's favorite hotels, we'll pay your reservation fee for a guaranteed space on your desired sailing time when you book a package. Our Captain and Crew look forward to welcoming you on board the ship!
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I booked the Victoria Package which included round trip ferry fare, one night hotel stay, and I added Afternoon Tea at the Empress Hotel. Booking was really easy and the lady was super nice. When we got to Port Angeles, all of my coupons/reservations were ready and handed to me in an envelope. Everything went smoothly. It really made the trip worthwhile to have everything set up ahead of time. I definitely recommend this ferry service!

1  Thank LadyJennyLo
in 18 reviews
"british columbia"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed April 18, 2014

This ferry was economical and reliable. We used it to get from Victoria to the US without the traffic of Vancouver. Worked well and drive in Washington state was pleasant. Will be back.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

This is a quick trip to get to Washington without a lot of hassles. Customs do a good job of getting you through quickly. The ship is very basic (that means: bring your own snacks and food. You will thank me for that comment) Watch the water when close to land, you might see some sea life.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

It's not as loaded and pretty as the B.C. ferries but it takes you south of Seattle from downtown Victoria. Makes the border crossing a breeze. The staff is always pleasant and helpful.

See more reviews
Reviewed March 5, 2014

The MV Coho is by far our favorite way to get to Victoria. We hadn’t tried it until we went up at Christmas this year. Honestly in my mind Port Angeles was some far away land not worthy of the drive. I was wrong!

For us it’s about a two and half hour drive (we're just south of Seattle), and you do have to pay to go across the Tacoma Narrows Bridge coming back if you’re going that far. The crossing time of the Coho is 90 minutes, which is half of what the Clipper and the Washington State Ferries are, but you don't get the scenic trip through the San Juan Islands. I've seen them enough times that I don't mind that.

It may seem like it’s a long drive, but I did the math, and the Coho actually saves us a half an hour between the amount of time it takes to: park and walk to the clipper, check a bag, stand in line to board, and the 3 hour crossing. That doesn’t include the significantly quicker speed for getting off the ferry and clearing customs that we had with the Coho.

The Coho is very much like a plusher and slightly more outdated version of the Washington State Ferries. Outdated sounds bad, it’s actually very well maintained, it’s just more like a charming Time Capsule. The Ferry was launched and has been in use since 1959, it's like stepping back into that era. You can read about the history of the ship here.

Once you get to the ferry parking can vary by season. Supposedly it was $10 a day, but the lot we had was only $6 a day in December. You can take your car for a pretty reasonable price. The whole process was really smooth, which is something the Clipper is sorely lacking. At no point did I feel like cattle. Our pleasant experience may be because it was the off season, but Christmas time in Victoria is usually pretty busy. We’ll see how it goes when I go again this spring and summer. I should also note that they Coho only requests that you be there 15-20 minutes before departure. This was really nice compared to the clipper, there was little to no standing in line!

A bonus of the Coho is that you can bring your pets up to the main deck. A downside is everything on board is way overpriced. I got a major headache on the way there and I forgot to pack any Aleve or anything. I paid $3.95 for 4 Advil pills. They do have duty free on board which isn’t overpriced. We didn’t get anything this time though, we were only going to be there for a day.

The Coho Schedule is a little limited in the winter, two runs a day in either direction. In the Winter we couldn’t get out there on a Friday night because the last ferry leaves well before we’d be able to get up there, even if we left work early. In the summer they have later departures though.

If you love afternoon tea, which a lot of people going to Victoria do, then you may want to break up your drive to Port Angeles by stopping off in Port Orchard. There is a lovely tea room there called the Victorian Rose Tea Room. Another added bonus of the Coho is that you get to ride free if your trip starts on the day of your Birthday. Score!

Pricing for the Coho is somewhere between the Government run ferries and the Clipper. An adult fare is $17 each way. A Vehicle is $60.50 each way. If you want to make a reservation, which they highly recommend, it is an additional $16 fee. That fee is not applied towards the cost of your fare like it is with the Washington State Ferries. So for a couple with a car and a reservation, it is $205. If you aren’t taking a car that’s $68, or $98 with parking for three days. That is about a third of what the Clipper costs, so to me it’s well worth it!!

5  Thank Katie S