“Beware of accuracy of information”

Black Ball Ferry Line
Ranked #17 of 181 things to do in Victoria
More attraction details
Owner description: Black Ball Ferry Line operates the M.V. Coho passenger and vehicle ferry linking Victoria, B.C. on Vancouver Island with Port Angeles, WA on the scenic Olympic Peninsula. During the 90 minute crossing, enjoy the ship's many amenities including the cafeteria, gift shop, duty free store, comfortable interior lounges, solarium and pet-friendly areas. Year round daily service is provided. Save big by booking a ferry and hotel stay with our exclusive package deals! In addition to our great prices at the region's favorite hotels, we'll pay your reservation fee for a guaranteed space on your desired sailing time when you book a package. Our Captain and Crew look forward to welcoming you on board the ship!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Beware of accuracy of information”
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

The ferry is fast and efficient way to get across to Port Angeles. The ride was smooth and the view of the Olympia mountains was spectacular. My beef is with the staff both on the phone and at the ticket booth. I called the day before to enquire as to leaving the car in the line and walking around town. I was told that would be fine but we needed to be back one hour before sailing. I was then informed that the reservations were filling up and there are very few spaces for unreserved cars. I asked if my reservation fee would be in US dollars and was told yes as they are a US vessel. I used my US credit card for the reservation fee. When I arrived at the terminal in Victoria I went ahead and gave them my US credit card and found out after the transaction went through that the charge is in Canadian funds. I complained that I was told on the phone that fees are US dollars. Ticket gal said no and that she informed me before I gave her my card. She did not..My husband has a Canadian credit card we could have used and saved the foreign exchange fee. Oh and in the end every car I the line reserved and unreserved made the ferry. I am not impressed with the scare tactics which compel you to pay the $11 reservation fee.
Probably will avoid this ferry next time.

1 Thank Fran M

• Korean first
Depoe Bay, Oregon
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“It's a ferry.”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

It's just a ferry...a means of transportation and it get's the job done. Port Angelas to Victoria Inner Harbour takes about 1 1/2 hours. You have to leave your car and go up top during your travel, so be sure to take your binoc's, snacks and bottled drinks/water. The deli on board is okay, but suggest your own. Plenty of stalls in the restrooms. The seating areas are outdated, and it is noisy in some areas due to whistling and grinding heat/air vent motors, but.....it's a ferry.

1 Thank David S
Spokane, WA
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“EASY ACCESS TO THE U.S. FROM VICTORIA”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

The 'Coho' leaves from the Inner Harbour and is pretty handy to Port Angeles. If you have taken the BC Ferry, this boat is pretty sad. Food service is minimal, seating with tables is minimal. Everything was a little dated and not too clean. They were right on time every trip. Going through customs is pretty easy... they check passports in Victoria and again on the U.S. side.

1 Thank PatandDiSpokane
oly; wash
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“great way to get to Victoria”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Really liked the ferry; and have food aboard. Great ride over and back. very clean .Would use this ferry again. Im afraid of the water and loved this trip

16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Plan on lots of wait time from each departure point if going by car.”
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

This was my first experience with the Coho ferry. I did make a reservation several days ahead of time. I would recommend this if going by car. Be sure of your departure time from Victoria when you make the reservation. I reserved for the 3 pm sailing on Sunday but decided to try for the 10:30 am sailing. I misunderstood the web site about being there 90 min ahead of time. We were there shortly after 9 am but it was full already. I should have called to find out when we should have been there. The 90 min means you need to be in your car 90 min ahead of time to allow time for clearing everyone through customs.

The ferry worker will direct you in parking your car. I do have a complaint on how close he directed me to park next to the inside wall. I have a Toyota Camry wagon. I just barely squeezed myself out the door and it was just as difficult to squeeze back inside. I know if my husband had been with me on this trip and had been the driver, it would have been impossible for him to get in and out of the car. He's 6'2" and 200+.
I've never experienced this on any Washington state ferry or the BC ferry.

We had less hassle on the BC Ferry and will take it when we return to Victoria.

1 Thank Rhensrude