“Hmmm, not exactly what I would call a Castle”

Craigdarroch Castle
Book In Advance
More Info
$10.46*
and up
Craigdarroch Castle in Victoria
Ranked #7 of 180 things to do in Victoria
More attraction details
Owner description: Completed in 1890, Craigdarroch is a stately home built by the pioneering couple Robert and Joan Dunsmuir, who at the time of its construction were the wealthiest people in British Columbia. Called a 'castle' due to its imposing exterior, the luxurious interior has been restored to look as though the visitor is a guest of Mrs. Dunsmuir during the 1890s. It features beautiful woodwork, unique Victorian artifacts, and an impressive collection of original stained glass, all within a pleasant walk from downtown Victoria.
A TripAdvisor Member
“Hmmm, not exactly what I would call a Castle”
Reviewed January 14, 2006

Apologies if this seems a bit harsh, I'm sure a lot of people like this place but to be honest its just a big house. I guess coming from England you know exactly what a Castle should be and this falls well short. For me, a Castle has got to have a) Ramparts, b) a Moat and c) a Portcullis or at least a drawbridge.

The history of the family is a little interesting but to be honest I was bored within 5 mins. Please, for you own sanity, don't take the bus tour from the centre of Victoria here. You will be left far longer than you wish to stay. Even my Finance who was more into this place than me couldn't work out how you could spend an hour here.

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
“Beautiful”
Reviewed March 4, 2005

A Local historian's (and antique collector's) idea of heaven. Talk about beauty. No matter where your eyes go, there's something interesting for them to see. However, I'd like to inform some of the rather "sensitive" people out there about certian energies that may visit you during your tour of the grand old place.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Washington State
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Lovely Self-Guided Tour”
Reviewed July 19, 2004

Beatiful home full of history of the Victoria area. Self-guided, so don't get sucked into the Gray Line Castle tour, it's a total rip.

The woodwork and stained glass are simply amazing. There are 87 steps, so it's not handicap/stoller accesible.

It takes about 60-90 minutes. Well worth the time!

13 Thank ILoveTravel
A TripAdvisor Member
“It was a GREAT experience”
Reviewed May 12, 2004

I have visited the castle many times with my family when we go to Victoria for a holiday... We love Victoria very much and love to go there... Although I am only 15 years old I enjoy the castle very much... They have restored the castle very well... It is such a neat place and when you are there you feel like you belong there or something.. It is kind of hard to explain.. It is like the Dunsmuirs are still living there... I guess what I am trying to say is when you go there you can imagine what it would have been like to live there... It is a great place... and never gets boring to go and see.... I love how they have left many original things in the castle that were there from the very start... It gives it something extra... The neatest experience in the castle is when you first enter the main part after you pay and everything... a person will meet you there and give you a guide for the castle that explains each room and what is original in that particular room.... they then will tell you to look up from where you are standing... You look up and you see all the storeys of the castle... It is awesome... We will be sure to go back there many more times when we go out to Victoria... KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK... Believe me this is a place you will want to see!!!!

18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
“I'll be back”
Reviewed April 23, 2004

I am delighted by this lovely "castle" Fortunatly I have visited many times and even purchased slate for the roof as gifts for family members. Think of this place as one of the attractions you can't leave Victoria without seeing. Romantic, charming and beautiful and so carefully taken care of. I have visited several times for over 25 years and look forward to my next visit and I hope it will be soon.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member