“Any ghosts around?”

Craigdarroch Castle in Victoria
Ranked #7 of 182 things to do in Victoria
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Completed in 1890, Craigdarroch is a stately home built by the pioneering couple Robert and Joan Dunsmuir, who at the time of its construction were the wealthiest people in British Columbia. Called a 'castle' due to its imposing exterior, the luxurious interior has been restored to look as though the visitor is a guest of Mrs. Dunsmuir during the 1890s. It features beautiful woodwork, unique Victorian artifacts, and an impressive collection of original stained glass, all within a pleasant walk from downtown Victoria.
Edmonton, Canada
78 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 172 helpful votes
“Any ghosts around?”
Reviewed June 16, 2011

It was about a 25 minute walk from downtown and pretty easy to find with the signs. I wasn't sure what to expect at this castle and when we walked in, it was a small entrance and couldn't fit more than a few people. But once you step into the castle there was more room to move. It's great to learn history of the people and also see how they have restored the castle. I was actually hoping to see a sign of a ghost or two but no such luck. We spent about 1.5 hours in the castle and it was an ok way to spend a rainy afternoon. If I had the choice between the castle and the museum, I would chose the museum.

Visited May 2011

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Opulent”
Reviewed June 15, 2011

I would defintely recommend visiting the castle. It is a nice 45 minute walk from the waterfront. The tour takes about 2 hours. The history is very interesting, not only of the family, but the city as well. They have done an excellent job of restoring the castle to it's original state.

Visited April 2011
la
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“worth the visit, especially if you like to learn about local history.”
Reviewed May 31, 2011

I read mixed reviews on this, about a 50/50, on liking or not. I would say it is worth the visit. If you like history and historical sites then you will like this. this is a very nice and interesting house to tour. many reviews said it was hard to find but I had no problem, it is actually very easy to get to. I love the history of the family, how they made their fortune and the continued history of the family and the house. If you like historical sites, interesting family stories, and a part of the local history then do not miss this.

Visited May 2011
Redmond, Washington
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Wish I coud afford the book!”
Reviewed September 23, 2010

Walked to this castle since we came up on a walk-on ferry. It was a bit of a hike, but worth it. Probably 1.5 miles away from the Harbour. The Castle itself was beautiful and well maintained, but the story of this family was very interesting! The tours are self guided with docents along the way for more in depth information, but the documentation along the tour is more than enough. After going through the Castle I wanted to read more about this Dunsmuir family, but didn't want to spend $30 on the book in the gift shop. Found one online afterward for $5--shipping included. The cost of entrance was $13, but was happy to see that they are using the money to renovate more rooms of the castle to improve the attraction--and are making plans to restore some of the gardens.

1 Thank latte
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Have seen better historical homes ~”
Reviewed September 20, 2010

I took the Hop on Hop off bus to this attraction last September while visiting Victoria. I got lost, believe it or not, finding the place, and being by myself, that was a little unsettling. I finally found a bed and breakfast and walked around inside trying to find someone to tell me how to get to this place. I just didn't care for the directions placed on the streets...I'm paranoid but I didn't like walking all over trying to find this place. The bus driver said that they (the mansion folks) won't allow buses to drop people off and the door so be ready for a bit of a hike if you take the bus there, as they will leave you on the street a few blocks below to find your way to the "mansion".

Once there, I paid the admission fee and, as others have said, the stairway was beautiful. The rest of the house didn't do much for me....sort of spooky in a way...could that have been from my long lost walk? Not sure...They have done a nice job keeping it fairly lovely for people to see, but I wouldn't pay the price again to see it.

I'm glad I went but wouldn't go again.