“The 'go-to' hotel in Victoria for business or pleasure”

Hotel Grand Pacific
Ranked #13 of 46 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed July 3, 2009

As a 5-day a week business traveller, I virtually live in hotels. The Grand is consummately professional in every way. The rooms are well-appointed, the beds are supremely comfortable and the restaurants easily trump the competition. The most impressive feature of the Grand are the staff who are welcoming, courteous and anticipate your every need. The fitness centre is comprehensive, the business centre briskly efficient and I've tried and enjoyed several of the spa treatments. Not only do I use the Grand for business, but I choose to spend my holiday time here as well.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,171)

Reviewed June 30, 2009

Arriving at the Hotel Grand Pacific, we thought the lobby was nice and the staff so-so. The staff bluntly told us we couldn't have the room we had booked (we wanted one king bed), and were less than friendly about it, even though this was our anniversary weekend. The room itself was clean and we found housekeeping to be wonderful the entire 3-day stay. However, there were two bland, queen beds, in a room right by the elevator. Luckily the door was fairly thick so we only heard mild wooshing sounds from the elevator, but we could hear the baby crying next door.

Our view of the harbor was pleasant, especially nice at sunset. The healthclub amenities and pool were very nice, though you had to pay extra if you wanted to attend a class, which seems ridiculous. The food at the hotel was overpriced and bland. Wireless cost $5 a day and could only be used in the lobby.

This hotel didn't have any of the luxury feel that I associate with high-class travel, other than a great housekeeper. I was pretty disappointed. The staff was rude and wouldn't even give us a late check out. I would not recommend this hotel -- it's like a glorified Holiday Inn with a nice health club package.

1  Thank slowdiva
Reviewed June 26, 2009

OK, so we had the best suite in the place thanks to a nice upgrade from the Hotel's
GM. We spent 3 glorius nights in this lovely place with way too much balcony time
watching the goings on in the inner harbor. This hotel is well situated. The personnel
are splendid including the valets and bellmen. The buffet is great with Eggs Benedict
a daily feature. My only recommendation would be that the buffet menu be varied day to
day. Our suite was nothing less than spectacular. Our package included one nights
romantic turndown which we appreciated. I won't spoil the surprise, but don't try to
taste it as I did. The rose was nice (no I didn't try to taste the rose).

An earlier review mentioned the Swiftsure Restaurant in the hotel next door. Forget it!
Anything to do with "Swift" is a misnomer. We left after waiting 30 minutes for our meal.
Do visit White Heather for afternoon tea. My wife loved it, I had a good beer, but they
made me order a small tea. We also liked Butchart Gardens, 55 acres of fantastic
plantings.

Try Grand Hotel Pacific, you should enjoy it, particularly if you get a water view.

I can't help but mention that the GM didn't even acknowledge our token of appreciation
for the upgrade, even though the upgrade stood on its own.

1  Thank garypcsc
Reviewed June 25, 2009

My Fist time in Victoria we stayed here in the middle of the week!
when we arrived at the Hotel the front staff were so friendly they gave us an upgrade for free before we even checked in to our room!
The best bed I have ever slept in, in any hotel
we even had a patio with an amazing view of the harbour!
what and awsome trip

Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jetbjennie
Reviewed June 22, 2009

We stayed at the Grand Pacific for 3 nights at the beginning of our 10 day Vancouver Island vacation. The hotel's location was great, but I do note that it is ACROSS the street from the water, not directly waterfront. The hotel was fine, but generic in a chain hotel manner. Nothing really unique. My only complaint is that the coffee at breakfast is awful. Even the french press syle coffee ($5 extra) is bad.

1  Thank mossway1
Reviewed June 22, 2009

The service by staff at this hotel was fabulous. The concieger was extremely knowledgeable and helpful, even sent up a bunch of balloons for our anniversary. The best part of our stay was the spa. Between the two of us we had four massages. A little weird to get from the east tower to the spa (through the underground parking lot). We booked through Westjet Vacations and received 10% off everything in the hotel other then alcohol, plus receiver our fourth night free.

1  Thank Karen-Larry
Reviewed June 17, 2009

I booked an overnight trip through Clipper Vacations. For $114 per person, we got our roundtrip Clipper ticket from Seattle to Victoria as well as our hotel. It was a very good deal. The hotel is nice and located close to the ferry terminal, museums, waterfront, and the Empress. They also had a free shuttle in the evening which took us to dinner and back, and that saved about $15 - $20 in cab fares for one night. The room had a balcony with a side view of the water. It was quiet and roomy.

In April we stayed at the Marriott Inner Harbor, which was newer, closer to shopping and restaurants, and had more comfortable beds. However, the Grand Pacific had larger rooms and was a better price. I would stay at the Grand again, especially if I got the good rate.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family