“Lovely hotel, great location and price”

Hotel Grand Pacific
Ranked #14 of 52 Hotels in Victoria
Uckfield, UK
“Lovely hotel, great location and price”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

We booked this hotel based on location and price. Excellent service and rooms, with a feel of luxury everywhere in the hotel. We hadn't realised until our arrival that it was Canada day (1st July). We asked if we could have a room where we would be able to see the fireworks. The man on reception advised that we could get an upgrade but would not be guaranteed to get a room facing the harbor. So we didn't upgrade and were thrilled to get a room, where we watched the awesome fireworks on the balcony. Would certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (658)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Richmond, Canada
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We spent two wonderful days in Victoria in early July 2014. The Hotel Grand Pacific was great. The staff and rooms were excellent. I would definitely stay there again. We took advantage of their bike program. Sure beats having to bring your own along.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dforch
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We booked this hotel for the great location and water views. We paid the extra for a water view room and I was a little disappointed in the view since we were on the 4th floor it wasn't much of a view but it was still there. I don't think it was worth the upgrade though. That being said the bed was amazing. We both slept wonderfully and it was one of the better hotel beds I have slept in. It was also nice having the balcony available to enjoy our morning coffee on. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lauren R
EmoryHaines, Manager at Hotel Grand Pacific, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am so pleased that we were able to get your visit right on so many levels during your stay with us. This type of positive guest experience is something we strive for everyday.

I do apologize for your disappointment with the view. I have shared your comments with our team and we will review all of our designated view rooms carefully to ensure that they do provide the views that our guests expect. I wish that you had let us know when you were here
that the view was not to your expectations. We make every effort to exceed guest expectations
and we would have tried to find the room for you that met your needs.

I was very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your balcony and our wonderful beds. We are the only hotel in downtown Victoria to provide a balcony with every room. Victoria is a wonderful city. We are right in the heart of the city and the balconies provide a perfect vantage point to watch the coming and goings of the inner harbour and the city.

We appreciate your patronage and hope to have the pleasure of having you stay with us on future getaways.

Regards,
Woodinville, Washington
Reviewed July 7, 2014

W booked at hotel directly as they advertized 4th night free if you use Amex or Master card.I did.Not only we got 4th night free but they uogrded us to two rooms for 4 ,with a balcony facing inner Harbor.Not only this hotel is located right next to Parliament building,it was walking distance to most major attractions in downtown.It so happened to be the Canda day on July 1 and we watched fire works from our own rooms! Fantastic view .Room service was a treat.Staff is friendly .On our check out day ,I rushed and left stuff in my safe and the room.Our house keeping lady ,Emily found them all ,another staff chased after us en route to breakfst and gave them to me! What a service.They still charge $18/day parking however.

Room Tip: Ask for upper floors with a view balcony facing inner Harbor.Don't go on the day of holidays but...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our wonderful views, our close to all location and that our staff provided you with friendly and helpful service.

We have looked carefully at our parking fees and they are the same or lower than the fees at similar hotels in Victoria.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future!

Regards,
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Really enjoyed the stay as it is close to everything you don't need a vehicle as it is close to the harbour and close to all amenities would stay there again if required very Victorian style
Shops are close by parking was given for a minimal fee

Room Tip: Did not use the spa or breakfast hence no comment but very close to everything
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 630traveller
peachland, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Overall, the Hotel is pretty nice. It’s in a great location and I would normally recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Victoria that wants to spend time downtown. Also, if you are a BC resident or government employee you get a pretty good rate.
That said, the main reason why I rate this hospital as terrible is because of my booking experience. Specifically, booking a room with a view of the fireworks on Canada Day. If you want a room with a view of the fireworks on Canada day BEWARE, there is only a very small section of the hotel where you are guaranteed a view of the fireworks. Large sections of the “Bay View” rooms only see about half of the bay and in my case (and in other reviews I read) could not see the fireworks.
If you plan on staying in this hotel on Canada and want to view the fireworks from your room make sure you book a room that is closest to Belleview Street. If you look at the map in Google Maps you will notice the hotel is L shaped. There is a small section of the hotel closest to Belleville Street, while the rest of the hotel sits further back from the street. If you get a room that is not in the section closest to Belleview Street, there is a good chance that you won't see the fireworks unless you get a room at the very end of the hotel closest to the parliament buildings.
In my case, I spoke to 2 booking agents and one front desk clerk and none of them gave me this advice even when I mentioned to them that I had heard from other reviews that some of the bay view rooms could not see the fireworks. During our stay, once the fireworks started and we realized that we could not see them we ended up missing half of the show because it took us about 10 minutes to make our way down into the street (and into the crowds).

I hope this makes sense.

Room Tip: The rooms and the beds are a little small. The pool and spa are excellent. You can actually swim f...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank eytch
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us from your recent stay at The Hotel Grand Pacific.

I want to apologize for your recent stay with us and the disappointment you experienced with your hotel room. A follow up will be made with our team to ensure that we are providing guests with their proper room preference. We truly want you to feel at home when you stay with us.

However I was quite surprised to hear about your experience as all of our staff- bellman, doorman, reservation agents and guest service agents are trained to tell our guests that none of the rooms provide a view of the fireworks.

We are not in the business of selling rooms that have a view to this event. We cannot control the position of the barge, the wind or the weather so we have trained our colleagues to inform our guests that they should move to the inner harbour to secure the best possible view.
I am shocked that you were not given this message.

I am pleased that you found the hotel nice and enjoyed our close to it all location.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to further discuss your stay at 1-800-663-7750.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to The Hotel Grand Pacific on any of your upcoming journeys to Victoria.

Kind regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2014

The location of this hotel is beautiful and service much improved from our last stay. The breakfast is superb value and the rooms are great.
Everything in walking distance, - food, attractions and the views are wonderful

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business