“love, love, LOVED IT!”

Ranked #14 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Texas
“love, love, LOVED IT!”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We got the suite and it was just a wonderful room, probably the best we've ever stayed in. The hotel is so pretty when you walk in and the staff was very nice. I wondered if they would be a little stuffy but they were not at all. We took the ferry (w/o the car) and the hotel is directly across the street, so that couldn't have been more convenient. They asked if we needed to stow any luggage before I had the chance to ask. They gave kiddo a little bag of goodies (that's the way to my heart; make kiddo happy and be nice). When we got to our room, we were really impressed, the furniture is pretty, the view was good, and there was a balcony with sliding glass doors so we could see the harbor and people watch from our balcony. There was a cute little sitting area w/the coffee & tea. We loved the beautiful double doors leading to the bedroom and the bathroom had 2 sinks with 2 entryways so you could enter it from the living room or the bedroom. We had fun with that, chasing each other in a circle :-) The bed was comfy, and they had nice, soft sheets. I do have to say, the breakfast had very good food, but our waitress was pretty bad. It didn't take away from our experience though, we kinda just laughed about it because everything else was so nice. We stay in a lot of places and it's just the little differences that seem to stand out. They had lovely bath salts in the bathroom; you know everybody has cream, shampoo, conditioner, etc. So, those little things make a big impression on us. Oh, and the pool...WOW! It's a club so they have a hot steam room, dry sauna, huge pool, hot tub, showers/bathrooms, etc. It was also great. We will be back!! Thanks to others that reviewed it and made us go there.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (674)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I have been very impressed with the majority of the hotel staff based on professionalism and their commitment to the needs of the guests. The Restaraunt was the one exception to this as the staff was ungrateful and came across as snotty. We did arrive late and were forced to sit down during the closing hours so I can understand the additudes but it should be no excuse.

We had a few issues with the room, where it was inviting and had many ammenities, it did not include a microwave. We are not from here and so it would have been nice to beable to heat something up to eat here at the hotel. The remote also did not work (this was fixed immediately), the phone does not work, and our toilet was leaking. All of these issues were fixed promptly by the on-site staff and it was impressive to see such professionalism and courtesy.

I brought my family out here from Alberta to witness how amazing Victoria and it's people are and I am happy knowing that when we leave, we shall do so happy with the service provided.

I would however ask that the restaraunt staff be informed of correcting customer service additudes directed at guests who may be arriving late. If you don't want people showing up late, close earlier. Next time we can order pizza. Not Impressed with that at all.

• Stayed August 2013
elrosesk, General Manager at Hotel Grand Pacific, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that our Restaurant Team did not make you feel welcome when you arrived near closing time. I wholeheartedly agree with you that if you are open for business then the warm welcome and smiles should be present.

Please know this is not our standard and your comments will be discussed and reviewed with our Restaurant Team.

I also apologize for the other issues in your guestroom but I am encouraged by the prompt attention that you received. We rely heavily on our Housekeeping Team to let us know when there issues so that we can be proactive versus reactive.

Again, thank you for your feedback and patronage.

Kind regards,

Reid James
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I got a pleasant surprise when booking last minute through Hotwire to end up in the Grand Pacific at a great rate. The front desk even was able to accommodate an early check in, which was a nice touch. The hotel is still a great choice in the downtown Victoria area, but a few things are starting to show age. I was in the East Tower and the carpeting in the hallways was coming up and hazardous on the 3rd floor. The rooms are great, but the bathrooms are pretty dated and in need of a refresh. All in all however, a great stay and a place I would not hesitate to recommend or stay again should my travels take me back to Victoria.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words about the Hotel and the service you received during your recent stay with us.

I apologize for the fatigue in our East Wing guestrooms but I am pleased to inform you we have scheduled a renovation in phases beginning in October of this year with the intention to complete the project in late 2014 or early 2015. In the meantime, our newer West Wing guestrooms are in great condition.

Thank you for your feedback and your patronage.

Kind regards,

Reid James
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 30, 2013

After "roughing it" in Ucluelet and Tofino for a week, sleep in the Hotel Grand Pacific was like none I'd ever experienced. The King-sized bed had an incredible pillow-top mattress in it that was both cool and cozy. While the bar staff in the Pacific Lounge seemed confused and unsure what to do with customers, the wait staff in the Pacific Restaurant were lovely, very friendly, and seemed genuinely interested in what brought you there and whether or not you enjoyed your food. Easily the second-best hotel in downtown Victoria.

As with all the other reviewers, do be sure at some point you save some bread from a meal and go and feed the ducks. They are very tame and if you treat them well, they may let you pet them.

Room Tip: Even the "partial view" rooms see the ocean.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I've stayed at the Grand Pacific many times and keep coming back. Rooms are very soundproof and beds are comfy. Can't beat the location next door to the parliament buildings right on the inner harbor. Staff is always friendly and helpful. Deals are available if you look for them even in summer. Always my first choice in Victoria.

Room Tip: I haven't had a bad room here yet
Tustin, California
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Spent one night here and enjoyed the King suite. The two separate vanities were such a great feature as we had one for the adults and one for the kids.
We also had a quiet night and appreciated how insulated the sleeping area seemed from the hallways/other neighbors. The hotel shows it's age in fixtures and some furniture/carpet stains. However, we overlooked those due to the excellent location close to the Victoria Clipper and our charming neighborhood view.

• Stayed August 2013
Pacific NW
Reviewed August 28, 2013

This was our first time at the Grand Pacific and we will be back. We got the Sr. rate and then an added bonus, an upgrade because I signed up for the ePreferred Member Points Club. We got a nice room on the 8th floor, East Wing. The glass elevator is a joy to ride because of the view of the harbor. I loved using the pool, locker room, steam, sauna and classes. The athletic club is active and pleasant with enough room. We like the coffee shop for morning coffee and scones. The Pacific Restaurant had terrible, bitter coffee. But that is my only complaint. They provide free wireless internet and do not charge a fee for money exchange. My sister and her husband stayed in the West wing on the same floor. They were also pleased with the staff and facility.
The location is perfect. We were close enough to everything, but still quiet and serene. The museum, government building and all the harbor activities are very close and easy walk. Great restaurants are near. The concierge was very helpful as well. We love Victoria, very gracious and friendly city.

Room Tip: Sign up for the iPreferred hotel points system and get an upgrade, early check-in if available and...