“Accessible room”

Hotel Grand Pacific
Ranked #13 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Everthing about this hotel was great. We booked an accessible room for the week. We needed some medical equipment installed from a rental company in Victoria. Stephen the concierge went over and above to make sure everything came together perfectly so we had no worries. Wonderful trip and would definately recommend this hotel

Room Tip: If u need a big wheelchair friendly room with a balcony, this is it!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
James F, Manager at Hotel Grand Pacific, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your review here. Our concierge, Stephen, continues to go above and beyond for our guests, I'm so pleased you recognized him. With spacious rooms, all with balconies, our accessible rooms are perfect for our all our guests needs. I hope you'll come back to stay with us again.

Warm regards,

James Fry
Director, Sales and Marketing

Reviewed July 6, 2013

This is a well located hotel close to the parliament buildings and Victoria harbour. It looks great from the outside and the lobby is open and bright. The rooms themselves are clean and comfortable but nothing special. The rooms and the floors seems to be showing their age a little. Given this, the hotel seems a little expensive.

Room Tip: A room on the harbourside is better in terms of view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Don_K_Kingston
Reviewed July 2, 2013

The hotel and room was clean, the employees polite and helpful and the view of Victoria inner harbor was beautiful. The concierge service was excellent with many great suggestions for bike rides, interesting restaurants, and other activities such as the Ocean River Adventures kayak tour of Oak Bay's Discovery Island. The downside is the hotel doesn't own it's parking garage and does not have enough parking spaces for all rooms as the parking owner rents out the spaces to the public. When we arrived, we had to drive around the parking garage until someone left. The manager told us that the hotel does not guarantee a parking place in the garage and if there were no parking places, we'd just have to find someplace else to park. We complained that the website should warn of this situation and were told the website does warn that there is no guarantee of parking. Here is the parking advice from the Experience, Hotel Information section of the website:

Parking

Valet, self-parking, and day parking are available at the Hotel Grand Pacific for a fee. Clearance in the underground parking lot is 1.93 meters, or 6’4.” Over height parking is located across the street from the hotel for a fee and is subject to limited availability.

Since we were here for Canada Day and parking around the hotel was difficult and were were very concerned that if we left, we'd have a difficult time finding some place to park. It turned out that self-parking worked out though it required waiting until someone left. Seems to us that the hotel website should warn potential guests of limited parking. We also think the manager should be trying to find solutions instead of telling us we'd have to fend for ourselves if the parking garage was full.

We were told in advance that there was bicycle parking and bicycle valet. Apparently the parking garage owner also rents out the bicycle parking and it was full when we arrived. Bicycle valet was not offered and we had to keep our bicycles in our room which was inconvenient.

These are things you might expect from a low end hotel, but not from an upscale hotel like the the Hotel Grand Pacific. Next time we come to Victoria, we'll be staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: Pay the premium for the harbor view rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
elrosesk, General Manager at Hotel Grand Pacific, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear Guest,

Please accept my apology for the response you received regarding a guaranteed parking stall. The Hotel has a sizeable forecourt that can temporarily accommodate vehicles so there is no reason to turn our guests away until the parking lot empties out. I will take responsibility for the Manager-on-Duty being unaware of our position on this issue.

Regarding valet parking for bikes, I would be curious where you read or heard about that information because we do not have that service. I apologize if one of my colleagues indicated that we offer it.

I do hope you reconsider your decision not to stay with us in the future. Please contact me at 1-800-663-7550 and I will see that you are well accommodated.

Thank you for your comments and for your patronage.

Kind regards,

Reid James

Reviewed June 29, 2013

This was my third time to stay at the Hotel Grand Pacific. This time my wife and I took three children from our extended family.

We came over on the early sailing of the Victoria Clipper and got to the Hotel Grand Pacific at around 11:00 am. They were very accommodating in letting us store our luggage. Also, one of the kids got sick on the ferry ride over and needed to clean up. They gave us a key to the fitness center so he could shower and change cloths. They then offered to have the clothes cleaned but also directed us to a local laundromat where we could wash them at a much cheaper price (very helpful).

We asked to check in early , but they didn't have our room available. They then got our phone number and said they'd cll us as soon as our room was available. They called us at 1:00 pm - well ahead of the official 3:00 pm check in.

When we got to our room we found that we didn't have a harbor view. I double checked my reservation and saw that I had not reserved a harbor view room. We called the front desk and they immediately moved us to a fantastic harbor view family suite for an upgrade charge of $30. I was very happy and pleased to pay the $30 for a truly fantastic room with views of the harbor, Parliament and the Fairmont Princess.

The next day they held our luggage for us since we were taking the late sailing of the Victoria Clipper.

Once again, my experience with the Hotel Grand Pacific was fantastic.

Room Tip: Get a harbor view room

We stayed 16 - 21 June 2013
6th floor, end of the hall on the legislature side (608?)

We enjoyed the hotel, the room was fine. TV didn't work very well, even after several calls to the front desk. Internet was ok for speed and access. Bed was comfortable as was the comforter. There was a desk and task chair, table and chairs, closet with bathrobes. Bathroom was ok as well. The toilet ran for a LONG time and was a bit noisy. Tub was a reasonable depth for taking a bath. There was a sink in the bathroom and another just outside the door, which is handy for getting ready.

The view from our room was outstanding. We had a wonderful view of the inner harbour and a nice little balcony to enjoy it from.

Parking is $16 a night/day, but if you park for the day it is $7 - feels like a big rip off.

Ate in the lounge and while the food was good (I had ceaser salad and a cider). Both were small. The cider was served in a champagne flute - I think a mug is more appropriate. The cost for both was $20. The service was outstanding.

Glad I got to stay here, the ride in the elevator is outstanding as it is glass and the view is great.

The reason I gave this hotel 4/5 is because of the view and location. Without the view I might give it a 3/5.

I probably wouldn't return because I think other hotels I have stayed in Victoria offer better value.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that faces the harbour, it is so gorgeous.
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My mother and I visited Victoria for a week and were very pleased to be staying at the Grand Pacific. The lobby is very beautiful and the location is superb with excellent views of the harbor. Our room was very clean and comfortable. I noticed that I did not detect any unusual or musty odors of any kind which is very common in hotels. Our beds were comfy, great balcony to watch the ships in the harbor, and really appreciated the extra sink with mirror outside the bathroom. Even though right outside off the balcony was all the hustle and bustle of the inner harbor it was very quiet and well insulated in the room.We were within walking distance of all attractions and parks. Also, the staff was very friendly and helpful. We were very glad that we had stayed here. :)

Room Tip: I think you have to request a view of the harbor.
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We tried to book the Fairmont which was full and so for one night, and for almost half the room rate, we stayed at the Grand Pacific and it was great !!

Its built overlooking the inner harbour so there are lots of activities going on all the time. Ferries arriving and leaving, float-planes and even some luxury motor yachts.

Staff were great - restaurant is not at the top level but neither are their charges.

All up we enjoyed out stay

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple