“DONT GO!”

Hotel Grand Pacific
Ranked #13 of 46 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Stayed here with my family on the last leg of our BC adventure and I wish I hadn't. The room we booked was adequate (80's decor) but decent. We didn't enjoy it our entire stay.

On our final evening in the hotel after our swim, tried to use our shower and the water was scalding hot, i mean too hot to stand under. The toilet was flushing HOT water! Called maintenance, and they told us they had a 'plumbing issue' ....really? Told us we had to change rooms. Mind you it was now 9PM, missed our dinner reservation. I kindly asked the night manager if we could have our room comped for this evenings stay. He was rude and very smug. He told me he couldn't decide that & would have to talk will another manager on Tuesday (It was Saturday.) He told me we were going to 'upgrade your room'. Great. Got into our new room at 10PM. UGH...the worst, grossest suite I have ever been in in my life (see pictures.) I was so upset and disappointed. Looked like a mortuary, and I'm not kidding. Heating unit literally banged every 15 minutes all night long. Smelly, musty, old, gross room. Wouldn't even comp us a free dinner after their issue mad me miss my dinner reservation! We ate room service with two children in our room at 11PM!!! Couldn't wait to leave as early as I could.

Unfortunately, I am not able to share with other travelers the letter I received from management of the Hotel Grand Pacific. Apparently, this violates Trip Advisors terms of service. I suspect that The hotel had something to do with this as my first review was yanked after it was submitted. If anyone would like to contact me personally, I will be happy to answer any questions about my stay.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 827!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank urban_girlie
elrosesk, General Manager at Hotel Grand Pacific, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Dear Guest,

As my first letter to you indicated, the Hotel had a hot water situation that affected six suites that overlooked the harbour during your stay two months ago. I am very sorry for this inconvenience. Please know that the plumbing issue was resolved the following day.

We relocated your family to our Honeymoon Suite which sadly did not meet with your approval. This is perplexing as this suite is a popular one because of the four poster bed beside a large jetted tub. Most of our guests love this suite.

I personally met with the Evening Manager to discuss the incident and by all accounts, he did the best he could under the circumstances. After some investigation and trouble shooting, your family was re-settled in another suite within 75 minutes with a promise to follow-up on compensation. Our Guest Service Manager wrote a polite, professional letter to your attention and adjusted your room charge to zero on for that evening. With all due respect, I believe the compensation was more than generous.

Again, I am sorry about the hot water incident and the inconvenience to you and your family.

Thank-you for your feedback.

Kind regards,

Reid James

Write a ReviewReviews (2,170)

Reviewed June 4, 2013

We chose a suite at the Grand Pacific to celebrate my 70th birthday and couldn't fault it. The staff were charming and helpful, the suite was a joy with a balcony and two large windows overlooking the inner harbour and dinner was excellent.
I received a voucher for pudding which I used for my a delicious creme brulee. This came on a beautifully decorated dish. A thoroughly enjoyable 24 hours. My thanks to the staff.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
James F, Manager at Hotel Grand Pacific, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Dear Jannyannel,

Happy belated Birthday wishes! Thank you for the review, I'm glad you had such a great experience here at the hotel. Our dessert voucher program for special occasions is just one small way we like to show our appreciation for our guests. It's always great to hear about these first hand experiences to affirm it's having the desired effect.

I look forward to welcome you back on your next special occasion, or hopefully even before then.

Warm regards,

James Fry
Director of Sales and Marketing

Reviewed May 30, 2013

This was our first time at the Hotel Grand Pacific. We were pleased that the hotel compared favourably with The Fairmont Empress. The lobby was impressive, the room spacious, and the bed was as "heavenly" as the Sheraton namesakes. The bonus was finding we were across the street from the new Robert Bateman gallery, which we were able to visit on opening day. All in all, a great birthday getaway. Oh, and the best part was the special price: $200 minus the age of the oldest guest, so the room was almost free!!

Room Tip: Ask at check in whether or not the room overlooks an ugly roof. That did get in the way of enjoying...
1  Thank TriggerVancouver
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Stayed here in the Victoria suite. The location makes it worthwhile as well as the fitness centre with the lap pool and very well stocked change rooms there. It is walking distance to the parliament buildings, imax, royal B.C. museum and many restaurants and across from the harbour. The suite was spacious although lacked clothes storage and was glad we were only there for 3 nights. We didn't pay for the view and not sure it would have been worth it so glad we didn't. If you needed something the staff couldn't do it fast enough for you - exceptional service for any hotel!

Room Tip: Suite without a view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 30, 2013

This is hotel is probably great for tourists. For my stay, I found, it was terrible at providing standard business class hotel service. Trouble with my reservation that seemed to dog my every request or need at the hotel. Every time I attended the front desk there was confusion. For some reason their system just couldn't log my name, company or reservation. Including the length of time of my stay which of course was an issue. Even though the reservation confirmation, in email, FROM the hotel, was clear. Laundry service - didn't happen. Didn't matter what I did. The list goes on. Business travelers and tourists have different needs. My company was a regular but will not stay here again.

Room Tip: ask ask ask about where your room faces before choosing. don't pay ridiculous ocean view rate t...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank jumpinhorsedad
EmoryHaines, Manager at Hotel Grand Pacific, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Hotel Grand pacific. I am terribly disappointed that your visit was less than stellar and that you have left with a poor impression of us.

I am also shocked as, in fact, most of our clients are business travellers. Our efforts are usually extremely well received from product to service experiences by our guests. Obviously in your case we fell far from our mark.

I would ask you to share some more specific information with me. Please contact me directly at 1-800-663-7550 if you wish to further discuss your stay. I can then have a focal discussion based around your observations with our team. We are always enagaged in making a sincere effort to learn about how we can be better provide for our guests.

Rest assured that we will work diligently at improving the guest experience and hope that at some point in the future you'll give us another opportunity to try The Hotel Grand Pacific again.

Regards,
Emory Haines
Director of Operations

Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

We had a room with a balcony overlooking the harbor. After hitting hot temperatures in Southern California, it was very nice to leave the door open with cool breezes and watch the activity below. The room was great and the staff all very helpful. We felt a bit needy by the minor changes in Canada but had a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Peachyohio1
James F, Manager at Hotel Grand Pacific, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Hello Peachyohio1,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. You painted the perfect picture of one of our greatest amenities; all our rooms come with balconies. As you experienced they really provide a natural relief when the temperatures turn up or you're just looking for a private retreat.

We hope to welcome you back again soon to our property and beautiful city.

Warm regards,

James Fry
Director of Sales and Marketing

Reviewed May 28, 2013

A nice hotel located in the centre of all the attractions of Victoria's Inner Harbour and within walking distance to downtown. The staff were friendly and helpful. Room was neat and clean and as advertised.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Inner Harbour may experience some noise from the busy street and harbour, so you mi...
1  Thank BrettDebbie