“Not Worth the Money” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 52 Hotels in Victoria
Vancouver, Canada
“Not Worth the Money”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

Just spent the last week of Feb 2013 at the Grand Pacific, and I am actually writing this review during my last night here. There is only one thing I believe that the hotel has going for it, and that is location. I believe that the rooms are over priced, considering how dated the decor in the room, bathroom and hotel is. The room was dusty, and esecially so in the TV armoire. I found the bed very hard and had a sore back for the whole week. Along with the cost of the hotel was the price of parking in the hotel's underground parking garage. An extra $19.00 per night. I think that is outrageous especially what the cost of a room is, then to add an additional $19.00 per night for parking. I will say though that the staff in the hotel are very pleasant. I will probably stay else where during my next business meetings in Victoria.

Room Tip: Over priced rooms and meals.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jack999_10
EmoryHaines, Manager at Hotel Grand Pacific, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us.
I am sorry that you will not keep us on your list of hotels in Victoria.

I am uncertain which guestroom you stayed in but it sounds like it was in the original building. If that is the case please know that we are proposing to begin upgrading those rooms in 2013. We will continue to make improvements during this phase but I would also like to invite you to visit us again and ask for a room in our newer West Tower.

Further to your comments, we think our rates offer tremendous value versus our competitors, Our daily parking is at $17.00 and we regularly compare our parking and food and beverage prices to similar inner harbour hotels. These hotels charge as much or more!

A dusty room is unacceptable and I apologize. I am reviewing your comments with our housekeeping team.

Thank you for your feedback and patronage. Please contact me at 1-800-663-7550 if you wish to further discuss your stay.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (640)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

I stayed at the Grand Pacific for a few days this past Feb 2013. I loved the location of this hotel (can walk everywhere) and my room had a nice view of the Empress Hotel and harbour at night. The room was clean and the bed very comfortable. I loved the additional mirror/powder area just off the bathroom. Had a nice welcome from the Bellman when I arrived tired and looking to park my car. I enjoyed a leisurely breakfast in the lobby restaurant while I read the morning papers and the service was excellent. My favourite time was spent at their Spa where I treated myself to a hot stone massage and reflexology. Erika was awesome. I did not use the pool or the gym.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

My husband and I treated our daughter to a 2 night weekend stay at Hotel Grand Pacific and had originally booked the Pacfic room with two beds with a request to have a room on one of the higher floors and if at all possible with some view of the inner harbour. Not only did the hotel meet our expectations, but they exceeded them.
When we arrived, we were greeted with a friendly smile by one of the front desk clerks. She also gave my daughter an envelope with a card congratulating her on her special occaision which also contained a voucher for a free dessert. She also told us because of the special celebration in honor of my daughter's accomplishments, we were being upgraded from a room to a lovely suite overlooking all of the inner harbour, plus we also received vouchers for a complimentary Canadian breakfast or Continental breakfast for two adults for both mornings which was part of the original package I had booked.
The suite was very spacious and very clean and had not one, but two private covered balconies both overlooking the view of the inner harbour. There were two flat screen TV's and two sitting areas in the suite. The bathroom was also spacious with two sinks and equally very clean. The views from our suite on the 6th floor, were spectacular and my daughter enjoyed watching the Coho Ferry coming and going as well as the Harbour Air seaplanes taking off and landing. She enjoyed her weekend immensely as did my husband and I.
The main restaurant in the Hotel is just off to the side of the Hotel lobby which was very convenient for us and had a great atmosphere, but it was a little pricey, however, the food was both presented well and tasted delicious.
The pool and weight / excersize room were also above average, clean and very bright.
Overall we received excellent service from the time we checked in to when we checked out and would highly recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to be close to the downtown inner harbour of Victoria, BC. We definitely plan on staying at the Hotel Grand Pacific when we visit Victoria again. Location, views, and service all were excellent for us.

Room Tip: Rooms on the North side have the better view and the higher up the less street noise you will hear.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Familyof3PJK
Victoria, BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

My wife and I treated my parents to a weekend at the Hotel Grand Pacific for a weekend near Christmas 2012. While the hotel looked great decorated for Christmas with the Teddy Bear displays, I feel the rooms are in need of a renovation. Not that they are run down or anything, but they just feet 10-15 years old. The view of the harbour was nice and a covered balcony was a nice touch as it was raining most of the visit. The spa, albeit it small, was well equipped and we both enjoyed our massage there. The pool and weight room are also above average. I felt that the service was good until we tried to get our car for valet at the same time a wedding was being hosted and then it took quite a while. Nonetheless, this is a good hotel, it is just I am holding it up to a very high standard in comparison to the other nice hotels in the Inner Harbour. I would stay again if the price was right.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
EmoryHaines, Manager at Hotel Grand Pacific, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments about our location, our balconies and our amenities. I am pleased you took note of these features and services. We are also proud of the number of facilities that we have in the Hotel which include restaurants, a lounge ,a cafe, an athletic club, a pool, a spa and a business centre.

Further to your comments, the Hotel is proposing to make some improvements in the original building (East Wing) in 2013 that, if approved, will exceed your expectations. May I suggest the newer West Wing for your next visit?

I apologize for the delay in our valet service. This is unacceptable and not in keeping with our standards. I am reviewing your comments with our service team.

We regularly compare what we charge to what similar hotels in Victoria charge and we think our rates offer tremendous value versus our competitors, In fact, value for the money with accommodation on Vancouver Island has been outstanding since 2009.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

On our second trip to Victoria in as many months, we looked for a hotel just a little closer to town than on our first stay. Hotel Grand Pacific fit the bill and turned out to be an instant favorite. It's situated across from the Ferry terminal and next to the government buildings and a small park. The lobby restaurant was excellent for breakfast with the choice of a full buffet or menu selections. We had a room on the third floor near the harbor, facing the government buildings, so the view day and night was delightful. Rooms were clean, well appointed and comfortable. Service was excellent. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Location, location, location. That sums it up. The rest: big rooms, good showers, hard beds, big TV's, free wifi (!), expensive menu, big indoor pool. Oh, and they kick your kids out of the pool between 5.00 and 7.00pm as they rent out the gym as a health club. Seriously?! You put down close to $2,000 over four days, but your kids have to get out of the pool as three fat ladies want a swim? I counted. We had a pet friendly room. Was good. Clean. Nice views. Dog had a good time. Paws up.

Management are great (Bruce) when you need a problem fixed. Super helpful. But some of the workers could learn to be more customer service oriented and lose their smart-a__ attitudes. Unfortunately that is pretty common in Canadian hotels. We have stayed here probably five different times over the last few years. Minor things need improvement...but generally it's good.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Elwood_Seattle
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments about our location, your spacious guestroom and our amenities. Please know that we do our best to accommodate both our Hotel guests and our Athletic Club members when it comes to accessing our pool. We have a unique facility that features a 25 metre lap pool which both our members and guests enjoy.

Upon check in our Guest Service Agents inform all of our guests about the adult only swim hours. The agent that makes reservations sends a confirmation letter that outlines the adult only swim hours. And, our website states that the Athletic Club has adult only swim hours.

I recognize that we are not meeting your specific needs but we are doing everything we can to inform our guests about our policy. I do sympathize with you because there is nothing worse than a disappointed child that had high hopes to go for a swim. I am sorry for that. Please note that we pride ourselves on being family friendly. I too have younger children, and I know on family vacations children-friendly hotels are extremely important and sometimes a rare find in city-type hotels. Our little guests are special to us. We also have pint-sized bath robes available on request and all children receive a welcome gift bag.

Most of our guests with children tell us that we have a fine facility and they find a way to work around our policy.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with the level of friendliness during your stay with us. If you read other reviews, you will find my colleagues are known to be very friendly and service oriented. I would most interested in speaking to you about this if you could spare a few moments. Please contact me at 1-800-663-7550 or reply to my letter so that I may conduct a proper investigation.

We regularly complete comparisons between our menu pricing and those of the hotels and restaurants surrounding us and have found that we are offering similar pricing and also that we charging less than some of the well-known local restaurants on particular items!

Thank you again for your thoughtful review; it will be my pleasure to share your words with our entire team.
We appreciate your patronage and hope to have the pleasure of having your family for future family getaways.

Harrison Mills, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Had a great experience! Relaxed atmosphere, courteous staff, friendly environment, lots to do, great location, fabulous good and overall treatment was exemplary! My husband was able to take in a lot of the local galleries and shops because the location was central and easy access. The evening scenery along the waterfront and beside the Parliament buildings were breathtaking. Mall shopping was a great evening trip to buy gifts for family. A walk through China Town was great! Will definitely recommend to family and friends as the place to stay while in Victoria!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business