“WONDERFUL STAY”

Hotel Grand Pacific
Ranked #14 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed December 14, 2012

I stayed 4 nights at this beautiful property.. the hotel front desk staff together with the bell boy and the men who handled the valet parking .. were superb.. The hotel maids did a great job with the rooms.. We would recommend staying at this hotel. great location.. beautiful room.. we were looking at the harbour and could see the Parliament buildings.. the pool and sauna , steam room were great.

One negative point.. we went to the lounge to hopefully have a nite cap and waited 20 minutes for service.. we did not get any service.. 2 servers . they must have seen us sitting there as they were serving other customers close by . and never acknowledged us. . it was not busy .. we walked out and told the lady at the front desk who apologized and advised us she was going to speak to the manager.. we went next door to the Days Inn for that drink..

The room was beautiful .. the beds were excellent to sleep on .. our room also had a balcony with 2 chairs that we sat on and enjoyed the view of the Harbour and the Empress Hotel..

Woud recomment staying at this beautiful location. our room was on the 9th floor..

Room Tip: Room facing the harbour the best with the balcony... u will not be disappointed..
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
elrosesk, General Manager at Hotel Grand Pacific, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments about our Guest Service Agents, Bellmen, Doormen, and Room Attendants. We concur, they are warm, friendly, and take pride in providing personal service to our guests. I am also pleased that you enjoyed you room and facilites in our pool area. The gym is also one of the finest in the city.

Please accept my apologies for the slow service in our lounge. We have addressed this issue with our Manager and will endeavour to prevent this from happening again. If you have a moment, I would appreciate learning of the date and time you attempted to use the lounge so that we can review our service levels. You may reply to this email or contact me at 1-800-663-7550 to discuss.

Thank you again for your comments and your patronage.

Kind regards,

Reid James

There are newer reviews for Hotel Grand Pacific

Reviewed December 12, 2012

On a recent visit to Victoria and Buschart Gardens my wife and I stayed at the grand Pacific. if you are coming in from Port Angeles on Coho Ferry this is a natural. It's across the street for the terminal. Very easy on/off. Staff at front desk and in restaurant were very courteous, accomodative and helpful. Located about 200 yards from The Museum/Imax and 300 yards form the middle of Downtown this location has many advantages. We enjoyed a Pacific View room that afforded us a nice view of the Inner Harbour from our window. Room was very clean and well appointed.

Room Tip: Only stayed two nights and was in the front with view so not sure about other rooms but if you want...
Reviewed December 12, 2012

This was my first time staying at this resort--I have stayed at most other resorts in Victoria and wanted to try something new--and I was very impressed! It is by far my favorite now because of location, atmosphere, service, and the fact that their beds are pretty magical. I did not want to leave my bed for an entire day. Their restaurant is very nice with warm service and tasty food. The pool, hot tub, gym and sauna area is also very impressive and we definitely enjoyed it.
I will absolutely come back and do recommend it for other travellers looking to get a very relaxing getaway.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

This hotel has hosted the Victoria International Whisky Festival in January for the last several years and my wife and I have stayed there for a few nights for the last two years, The hotel looks fabulous from the outside, so it definitely has roadside appeal. The problem for me was that although it is set just over the road from an exquisite harbour setting, very few of the rooms seem to take advantage of the spectacular views that could have been available. I put that down to the design and footprint of the hotel on the lot. The hotel stretches from the harbour front road across the depth of the entire block so that the back of the hotel is on a road parallel to the harbour front road. I haven't investigated what planning permissions or restrictions were in place when it was designed and built, but it strikes me that instead of taking up valuable ground floor space with a large driveway and entrance to the hotel, the front of the hotel could have been brought forward on the lot so that more rooms could have had a 180 degree view of this fabulous harbour. As it is, the views from many of the rooms at the front of the hotel are restricted and some hardly have a harbour view at all. For me, the driveway and entrance facilities could have been placed at the back.
OK. Well, that's the first design problem. The windows in some of the regular rooms seem to be oddly positioned as though they were designed in that position for outside appeal and then the interior walls were built afterwards, but the placement of the windows did not suit the room design.
One of the suites we stayed in was very bitty. Good views of the harbour, but lousy use of space. If you saw a floorplan, it looked like it was just dropped from the air above and they built it like that. Overall then, for me, it is architecturally disappointing. As I said, this may have had a lot to do with planning, but nonetheless, I think they could have done much better.

The hotel is full for the Whisky Festival and they have a captive audience who are quite busy tasting whisky for a couple of days. It would be nice to think that the restaurant could step up to the plate during these odd few days, but it seems they can't. I had to make negative comments for every meal I had there, some of them written, but nobody contacted me about them while I was staying there, or afterwards. I probably won't stay there again, even if I attend the Whisky Festival. Even at promotional prices, I didn't feel that it was good value for money.
I'm sorry to have to render the review of this hotel in such an unappealing way. Other guests may differ with my opinions. In fact, I'm sure they do. That's what makes the world go round. You'll have to make your own mind up, but at least you are forewarned.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SilveryMoon
elrosesk, General Manager at Hotel Grand Pacific, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies for the alleged poor food quality and lack of follow-up during your stay last January. Our cuisine at the Hotel is among the finest in Victoria so your comments are of great concern to me. Please contact me directly at 250-380-4452 to discuss and I will gladly make amends.

Your email address indicates that you are from Victoria so you may know that the Hotel was built in two phases. The first phase was completed in 1989 and then second phase in 2001. I did not oversee the design plans on either phase but I do know that the views of the harbour were a priority.

The original tower has some great harbour views on the higher floors and some equally stunning views of the of the Olympic Mountains on a clear day.

There are 18 suites in the newer tower that border Belleville Street that I consider to be the best harbour views in the city. The newer tower also features a panoramic view of the entire harbour and some great views of the marina and the BC Legislature.

May I suggest that you consider purchasing one of the end suites in the new tower should you reconsider staying with us in the future?

Thank you for your feedback and patronage. I look forward to hearing from you about your food concerns.

Kind regards,

Reid James

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We only live an hour away, but when we want a little get-away for shopping or a show, this is where we stay. Location is right by the Parliament buildings, if you choose harbour view (or get upgraded) you can see the Empress kitty-corner across the water. Easy walk to downtown restaurants and shops, and always a nice end to the evening to walk back by the inner harbour.
Suites or regular rooms are well-appointed, comfy beds, unobtrusive and prompt service. Staff is helpful and knowledgeable. We've had breakfast/brunch in the restaurant, and casual dinner in the bar. Food was very good if pricey. And they make the best lemon drop martini in town! There's a little coffee place downstairs that's handy and good, and we visit the spa whenever possible.
Find the best price on-line and then call the hotel, they will match and you'll be saved any 3rd party booking hassles.
The Victoria Christmas lights are lovely, especially in this area.

1  Thank Rockhoun
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I stayed only one night but found the location (right on the harbour) and the service to be excellent. I arrived, having just broken my foot and they accommodated a request for an accessible room. Room service was timely, still warm and very friendly. I had a breakfast included package and was able to upgrade it easily for $5.00 to the Sunday Buffet.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 10, 2012

This was our first visit to Victoria and we definitely plan on returning to Victoria and to the Grand Pacific. If you are arriving on the COHO or the Victoria Clipper the location can't be beat. We arrived on the COHO at about 10:10 am and were in our room by 10:30 am. All we had to do was cross the street. Only delay in checking in that early was the front desk had to check with housekeeping to make sure the room was ready. They gave us an upgrade to a Pacific Suite and the view was great. The tub was very deep and I was looking forward to a bath but did not have time. Elevators are fast, service at check-in and out were great, beds were comfortable. The pool area was inviting but again we ran out of time. Will return to Victoria and this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family