“Not near as good as I was expecting”

Hotel Grand Pacific
Ranked #13 of 46 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We read the good reviews of this hotel and thought it would be a great option. Unfortunately we were disappointed with pretty much everything except the cafe. We were greeted by a very curt front desk woman who was not the least bit helpful or friendly. We noted that none of the staff seemed happy or friendly...very blah. The rooms were kind of blah too. They were okay but not the quality I was expecting. Our view was decent but the balcony tiny. It was great to have a mini fridge but in a more high end property I was surprised not to have a kettle in the room. The room was spotlessly clean and the beds were comfortable.

We really enjoyed the cafe which had friendly employees, affordable prices and fresh, homemade food selections.

Next time though I will definitely stay somewhere else. I have previously enjoyed the Laurel Point Inn and the Empress as well as some b&bs.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Albernfrau
elrosesk, General Manager at Hotel Grand Pacific, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Dear Guest,

I am sorry that you were dissapointed with the level of friendliness during your stay with us, especially at the Front Desk. If you read other reviews, you will find my colleagues are known to be very friendly and service oriented like the experience you had in the Courtyard Cafe. I would most interested in speaking to you about this if you could spare a few moments. Please contact me at 1-800-663-7550 or reply to my letter so that I may conduct a proper investigation.

I agree with your comment about a kettle in the room. That is on our list for 2013. I also agree with you that some of our balconies are small but please permit me to also say that most hotels in Victoria and Canada for that matter, do not have balconies.

Lastly, we are endeavouring to upgrade our East Wing guestrooms and are looking to commence that program in 2013.

Thank you for your feedback.

Kind regards,

Reid James

Write a ReviewReviews (2,171)

Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights mid-week. Travelling with my husband and baby. Got upgraded to a suite which is GREATLY appreciated! Requested a play pen and fridge for my daughters medication via email prior to arriving and received an email back within a couple hours! Great service.
Great location in the thick of things. Pool was fantastic - they have a toddler pool which was great.
The only negative is the $15 per day parking fee - we knew there would be a charge but the front desk didn't notify us of the actual cost until check out. A tad pricey.
Overall I would recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Stayed two nights there. Complete relaxation from the time I registered until I left. Excellent staff. Friendly check-in I used the valet parking @ 24 dollars a day. Worth it to me.Location was right on the water and good for walking in all directions. Conceriage was very helpful in obtaning my boarding pass when leaving , also great suggestions for the correct hop on hop off bus. Very clean and comfortable. So nice to have a small kettle to boil water for tea,instead of runnng the water through the coffee maker,which makes tea taste yuch.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank GrandmaAlbertaCAnada
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Prices in Victoria soar during the summer season, and why not? (During our recent weekend stay, we enjoyed delightfully moderate temps with some sun. It was perfect weather for watching the Dragon Boat Races.) Although we usually look for accommodations that include breakfast, we comparison shopped and found the Hotel Grand Pacific was right for us. The rooms were spacious -- ours had a double sink in the bath, the beds are top quality, and our balcony looked out over the harbor. Breakfasts were reasonably priced and again, the service was excellent. We take the passenger ferry from WA state, so having a hotel across from the ferry landing was about as convenient as it could possibly be. We will be back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Linda M
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We just returned from one-night stay at the Hotel Grand Pacific in Victoria. When looking for a hotel, it was a toss up between staying here and the Empress - we wanted a view of the harbour and a special night for our family's last night on Vancouver Island.

I haven't stayed at the Empress before but wonder if we should have stayed there just for the Grandeur of it all and the tradition. The rooms in the Grand Pacific were no less tired that I perceived the Empress to be. We chose a room with a balcony, hoping it might be a step up from the standard non-harbour view. The rooms was clean and the room was "fine" but not anything better than high average.

The gym and the pool area were beautiful and well-kept. We got to take advantage of this and found this just great all around. The service at the hotel was also very attentive and I would say it was very good in the rating. We first had a room with a musty/smoky smell and the bell boy was very quick to solve the problem for us by contacting the front desk.

Overall, I would not stay here again - not for any real negatives, but I might look a little further to find a "great" place to stay in Victoria.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies for the tired guestroom suring your recent stay with us. It would be very helpful if you could let me know your room number so that I may investigate. As indicated in previous reviews, we are endeavouring to upgrade our East Wing of the Hotel and are looking at a program for 2013.

Thank you for your comments about our facilities and the service. I am pleased that you at least enjoyed that aspect of your stay.

Please contact me at 1-800-663-7550 if you wish to further discuss your experience.

Kind regards,

Reid James

Reviewed August 20, 2012

This hotel was awesome. Every room has a balcony and the room service was fast, delicious, and super friendly. We brought along our 3 month old daughter and didn't have any problems. The location is right on the water and next to Parliament and the BC Museum. Very pleased.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We chose this hotel as we were travelling with someone who had recently had surgery and couldn't walk far. We were travelling there for the BC Day celebrations as well as the Symphony Splash - a huge event where the symphony plays on stage on the water. People were bringing their chairs and placing them along the sea wall or blankets on the lawns in front of the parliament building. There was food kiosks set up and the street out front was blocked off for dancing. The event was funded by donation. This was a great event.

The Hotel Grand Pacific sits right next door to the parliament buildings in Victoria, across the street from the water. We had a nice shaded balcony where we could view the marina as well as the Empress Hotel. The hotel has a wonderful gym offering various exercise classes though the day. There is a great indoor pool including a shallow pool for small children, jacuzzi and sauna. Our bed was very comfortable and the room nicely decorated. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple