“Fine Hotel”

Hotel Grand Pacific
Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We booked a package on Victoria Clipper that included the ferry from Seattle and three nights at the Grand Pacific Hotel. Great location-a block from the Empress and a few hundred feet from the ferry terminal in Victoria. The room was large, modern and well-appointed. "Partial Water View" turned out to be just that---a fine view and better than expected. Staff was very helpful. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,149)

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Totally enjoyed this lovely hotel, with a view of the activity in the harbor and area surrounding it. The small but cozy room had a bath with double sinks, and two queen beds. We asked for a king size bed, but were completely happy with the two generous sized and comfy beds. There was a "busker's festival" going on, and we were able to see and hear the goings-on from our balcony. We ate in the restaurant that evening, and had a great meal with our friends. Victoria is a wonderful city, and the Grand Pacific added to our enjoyment.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I just recently stayed at the Hotel Grand Pacific for a week holidays with my sister and parents. It was a beautiful hotel and the perfect location - within walking distance to everything on or near the inner harbour. From the time we checked in until the time we checked out, the staff could not have been friendlier. When we checked in, the safe in the room my sister and I shared would not open as the person staying in the room before us had not unlocked it. Within 15 minutes of speaking to the front desk personnel, someone was at our door to open it for us to use. We had what I would call a standard hotel room. We overlooked the indoor pool and could see the parliament buildings from our balcony, and it was a very quiet room. We were all supposed to have residential views from our rooms, but my parents' room was a large king room with a balcony that looked down over the front of the hotel and you could see the harbour from it. This was their first ever "real" vacation and plane ride, so the fact that they ended up with such a view made the trip even better!

We never ate at the hotel restaurant (it looked lovely!) but we did use the pool, which is part of the athletic club. The pool area was clean and the staff friendly. One day we were unable to use part of the pool because of a class in progress, but we just waited patiently in the hot tub and shallow (kiddie) pool until it was over and open for all to use. The pool area is beautiful with a glass atrium-style roof, with the sun shining in.

There are three individuals at this hotel that I must mention. The first is Janis G. I had noticed on the hotel website that a personalized mini-bar was available. While I know that food/drinks in a hotel mini-bar are over-priced, I thought since this was my parents' first holiday, I wanted to have a little something waiting in the room for them. Janis was my first contact at the hotel who answered all my questions etc. When I finally decided what I wanted in the room and contacted her again, she was on sick leave but still returned my email (referring me to another individual on the chance she wouldn't be back to work in time). Now THAT is service!

The next person is Jeremy P. who I was referred to by Janis. I spoke with Jeremy on the phone to arrange the personalized mini-bar and he was very pleasant to deal with. Two things I requested for the mini-bar were a bottle of wine and a local beer. I trusted him to select these and what an outstanding job he did (we ended up popping out and buying more of the beer he selected for the room later in the week!). On arrival, after a five hour flight, his selections were greatly appreciated!

And last, but certainly not least, is Adora (I hope I have that right!) at the cafe in the hotel. The cafe is accessible from the hotel interior as well as from the street. Every morning of my stay, I popped down to the cafe for a coffee and cereal (or bagel), and was met by Adora's smiling face and friendly "good morning".

I am by no means a world traveller, and I'm sure if asked, these individuals would say they were just doing their jobs, but these are the little things that (for me at least) make a trip just that much more enjoyable and memorable. And also, these are the things that, should I be lucky enough to return to Victoria for a 4th time, would make the Hotel Grand Pacific my first choice of places to stay!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2012

This is a lovely hotel in an excellent location. Service was very good right from the start with the valet/bell staff right through to our check in and conversations with housekeeping. We ate in the restaurant for one dinner and one breakfast. Service both times was very good. Dinner menu was nice and the meals were well prepared. The breakfast buffet was just average due to the limited selection. The room was well arranged and clean. The small balcony was nice with two chairs and a small table. The parking garage was adequate albeit a bit pricey. Signage could be better. Maybe I just missed it but I had no idea there was a second (below grade) level until I notices a P2 button on the elevator. We had issues with the pool area. The facilities were very nice but they double as a paid member health club in addition to serving hotel guests. Our reception at the helath club desk was less than friendly while we witnessed very friendly welcomes to members. As a family travelling on vacation, using the pool is a highlight for the children. However, children playing in a pool do not mix well with locals wanting to swim as a workout. If you have children wanting to swim here keep in mind that for 10 months of the year they are not welcome during certain hours - apparently this does not apply in July and August. Also note that there are scheduled excercise classes in the pool at time, we didn't witness these however. Overall the hotel was nice but if you are travelling with kids that like to swim, I would recommend choosing somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
elrosesk, General Manager at Hotel Grand Pacific, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Dear Guest,

I am pleased that you enjoyed our Inner Harbour location, personalized service, and restaurants at the Hotel. We will review your comment about a lack of variety on our breakfast buffet. Our buffet currently includes three hot entrees, three breakfast meat selections, a starch, deli tray, cheese tray, baked goods, cereals, fruits, yogurts, smoked fish and congee.

Although the Hotel charges for parking, our pricing is competitive relative to competing hotels. I sympathize with your comment about parking signage and will review it again.

I apologize for the underwhelming experience in the Athletic Club and Pool and will investigate the reception you and your family received from the attendant. We do our best to accommodate both our Hotel guests and club members in the pool area and will continue to do so. Generally speaking, guests travelling alone or with children love this facility that includes, a kid's pool, jetted tub, sauna, and steam room.

Thank you for taking the time to write and for choosing to stay with us.

Kind regards,

Reid James

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Enjoyed staying here, but only stopped for a couple of nights, so didn't get to use all the facilities. The food and bar were expensive even by BC standards, but couldn't ask for a better location.

Nice for a short break but better if you are on a discounted hotel rate.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

very nice hotel. the room are quiet and clean. they have all the amenities. we have eaten in the restaurant and thought it was very nice. great wine list. the location is the best, just steps away from everything but not in the thick of it. have stayed here many times

Reviewed July 31, 2012

We had a one bed king booked, and ended up with 2 queen beds. Im guessing it was because there was a wedding in the hotel that weekend, and we were told that they couldnt guaruntee a king bed when we booked, which was in the small print of our booking. We were then told that we could go ahead and pay for a suite if we needed a King bed, which obviously wasnt gong to happen.

The room is average, nothing special. I've stayed in cheaper places with better rooms, friendlier staff and better service. Will not be back.

4  Thank Cory K
elrosesk, General Manager at Hotel Grand Pacific, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2012

Dear Guest,

I am sorry we could not accommodate your request for a king bed during your recent stay with us. The Hotel has been busy this summer and most of our guests travelling without children request a king bed. Like all hotels, we have a limited number of kings in our inventory.

Thank you for your feedback and your patronage.

Kind regards,