“Competent with a nice view”

Hotel Grand Pacific
Ranked #13 of 46 Hotels in Victoria
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I've stayed here a few times now when visiting my old hometown, mainly because of the location and the balconies. It sure is nice to be able to put my feet up in the sunshine overlooking the inner harbour.

This is a very competent hotel with good services, amenities and staff. It's clean, well maintained and relatively well priced.

The only thing that irked me when I checked in last June, was the doorman/concierge. As I handed him the keys to my car, I noticed that the flag on the Legislature was at half staff. "Who died?" I asked, as my travels had kept me away from papers and other media for a few days. "Oh, that's in memory of fallen comrades to terrorism" was his reply. "What????" I said? "That's what they tell us."

I suppose, mistaking me for an American, that's what he thought I wanted to hear, or he just winged it. Either way, a tad insulting, thinking I would swallow that.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KerryMontreal
elrosesk, General Manager at Hotel Grand Pacific, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2012

Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies for our Doorman appearing to make assumptions on your nationality when you arrived at our Hotel last June. We should have and will do a better job of informing our employees about the significance of that day last year (June 23, 2011).

The Canadian Government declared June 23 as Canada's National Day of Remberance for Victims of Terrorism (in general) which would obviously include the victims of 911. If you were unaware, this date was chosen because the Air India tragedy occurred on June 23, 1985.

We will be lowering our flag to half mast again this June 23.

Thank you for your feedback and as well, thank you for your past patronage.

Reid James

Write a ReviewReviews (2,171)

Reviewed May 9, 2012

One bedroom suite was very tiny comes with 2 beds in bedroom and 2 chairs in livingroom, or one bed in bedroom and hideabed in livingroom, neither very suitable for 3 women travelling together. They did bring up a roll away cot for me to set up in the living room so that each person could have a bed. Was very surprised at charges of $20 for 3 local phone calls, $16 for parking, $10 a day for internet, $14 for a corkscrew, and on and on it went...

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

I am writing in response to your recent stay with us.

Our ability to accommodate three adults in separate beds is admittedly limited to one suite in the hotel. Otherwise, a cot is required to accommodate this request.

I am not certain how you paid $20 for three local telephone calls. Our local call rate is $1.00 plus tax per call. There must have been some other services utilized with your telephone charges.

Our overnight parking rates may seem high but they are more than competitive with other luxury hotels in Victoria.

The $14 corkscrew fee is only applied if you take it home with you but there is no charge to use it during your stay.

Lastly, the $9.95 internet fee is only if you plug into our fibre optic high speed internet line. The entre hotel has complimentary wireless internet throughout the property as outlined in the information card in the desk drawer.

Please contact me at 1-800-663-7550 if you wish to discuss your concerns or if you have any other comments. I would be glad to speak with you.

Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed May 7, 2012

We stated at The Grand Pacific with our 2 year old & 6 month old. The hotel is perfectly located & we arrived early to our room all ready for us. From start to finish service was wonderful throughout the whole hotel, restaurant, front desk, house keeping, valet, everyone was so helpful. Our room had a separate living & bed room & it was very clean & spacious. It met our needs & even with travel cribs left plenty of space. We needed to warm some baby food & a microwave was brought to our room free of charge.
I have no constructive criticism at all as it truly was a great stay. Without a doubt we will be stating here for all of our Victoria trips. This is our second stay, our first was as a single couple with our then puppy - the hotel was just as accommodating for our dog too. Perfect.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank SLCollins78

Dear Guest,

I am pleased that you and your family were made to feel welcome during your stay with us. We do out best to accommodate all of our guests including families like yourselves.

Thank you for your kind comments about our hotel and our service. It means a lot to us. We look foward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed May 6, 2012

We were welcomed by a doorman who introduced himself and gave a quick overview of the property and area as we unloaded a few bags. Check-in was quick and the room was a good size with queen size beds, which are getting harder to find. The beds were really good and there was no noise from the road outside.

Each staff member was very knowledgeable and went out of their way to give us the information we needed. They also took the time to chat about local events and it seemed like each staff member appreciated our business.

The restaurant, Pacific, had several excellent menu items for about the same price as you would find at a chain steakhouse. I found the food and the presentation much better at Pacific, though. Next time I would have breakfast elsewhere, however, only because of the prices. The fitness facilities and pool are well-equipped and spacious, and there is a small cafe and spa at street level.

The only complaint I have - and it is minor - is that two of the electrical outlets in the room did not work. So I woke up in the morning and my phone had not charged. Nothing worth whining about! I would definitely stay here again and would consider other properties from The Preferred group in other cities (seriously, check out the one in Goa, India!)

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Wonderful to stay at the heart of Victoria. They could use a few technology upgrades to stay cutting edge, but if it is charming, old world elegance you're looking for, this is the place.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind comments about your recent stay with us. With regards to your "stay cutting edge" comment, we are replacing the remainder of our older televisions with high definition televisions this year. As well, we will have a high definition signal for all of our guestrooms this fall. Of course, I am assuming you were referring to our older televisions with your comment. As you may have noticed, we have a fibre optic internet line that makes us one of two hotels in Victoria with the fastest internet in Victoria.

Thank you for staying at the Hotel Grand Pacifc! We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed May 5, 2012

The location of the hotel is convenient to downtown activities in Victoria. We found it family-friendly and well-priced. As a wheelchair user, access is always a concern. No concerns here. Access is good and staff are very helpful. The breakfast buffet was convenient and kids four and under eat for free. I'd love to go back.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ingww
EmoryHaines, Manager at Hotel Grand Pacific, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with our online community and us.

We think that our breakfast buffet has something for everyone -the choices range from smoked salmon to congee to eggs benedict and more. As well one of our driving goals is to be able to connect with our guests – even our littlest ones! We prIde ourselevs on being family friemdy and all of our young guests receive a special children's welcome bag at check in and we have pint-sized bathrobes available on request.

I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed our close to it all location and that we have left you with a positive impression. Thank you for your thoughts. I would be more than delighted to share them with our team as it will help motivate them to do great things. We hope to have the privilege and pleasure of having you back with us upon the next visit.

Regards,
Emory Haines
Director of Operations

Reviewed May 5, 2012

I stay here a lot on business. There are many reasons I keep coming back including great rooms with views from virtually all locations in the hotel. The higher up the better the view. Rooms are clean and beds are really comfortable. The hotel staff has always been friendly and handles requests quickly and efficiently.

Parking is good and secure and the in hotel restaurants are great. Having said that there are some great restaurants within a couple of blocks. There is also the Royal BC Museum (GREAT!) and the architecture of the Empress hotel and the BC Legislature.

The hotels spa and fitness facilities are much better than average.

I will continue staying here.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a shining review. I am so pleased that we were able to get your visit right on so many levels during your stay with us. This type of positive guest experience is something we strive for everyday.

I am also glad that you enjoyed our central location in arms reach of whatever you need; such a timesaver! Victoria is a wonderful city. We are right in the heart of downtown Victoria and I am pleased that you were able to enjoy the views of the Harbour and explore the abundance of restaurants.

We are very proud of both our Spa and The Victoria Athletic Club. The Athletic club features state of the art cardio equipment, a squash court, yoga classes and a 25 metre lap pool

Thank you again for your thoughtful review; it will be my pleasure to share your kind words with our entire team. We appreciate your patronage and hope to have the pleasure of having you back.

Regards,