“Nice View”

Ranked #14 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Prince George, Canada
“Nice View”
Reviewed August 1, 2011

I stayed here with a family member for an event we were attending at the Save On Foods Memorial. The location of the hotel was very good, we also had a lovely view of the harbour from our room. Orverall the hotel was nice, but overpriced if you ask me. I didn't have time to enjoy the amenties it had to offer as it was just a place to sleep for the night.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (674)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Umatilla
Reviewed July 31, 2011

This is probably the best location you will find....especially if you have arrived in Victoria by Ferry. Gorgeous from the outside but discovered our first room was smaller then expected but adequate. It is too bad when making reservations that you cannot request certain views (harbour or city) if available. We were fortunate, if you can refer to this as fortunate, to have our toilet overflow twice and after the poor maintence man spent hours on his knees, it was finally decided to move us to a different room....we were up graded to a 7th floor corner suite for our inconvenience....oh my...that is when you see the real "grand" of The Grand Pacific! Absolutely amazing views of the Parliament Bldg. at night......the Harbour....the Empress.....we slept with all the windows open so as not to miss a sound or a view!
We chose a package when we made our reservation which included our room, tickets for the Butchart Gardens and Butterfly Gardens. I would not do this again. If you have your own car it might be beneficial but in our case we still had to arrange transportation separate and I think it would have been easier if we didn't already have the tickets.....less confusing.
The staff is so very friendly.....fun and helpful.....and it is so wonderful to see such well groomed professional young people!

Room Tip: My favorite would be above 4th floor facing the Harbour but we were told we couldn't pick a view...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Edmonton
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Well situated with beautiful harbour view.
Walking distance to all amenities.
Staff friendly and courteous.

Do:
Several self guided free walking tours (see Victoria Tourism)
Fisherman’s wharf, very quaint
Craig Darrock Castle
Bring an umbrella just in case.

Don’t:
Worry about anything, just have fun and enjoy.

Room Tip: High up and harbour view
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Leicester
Reviewed July 29, 2011

A great hotel , fab position, very comfy. Loved it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Texas
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Great find. We scored a last-minute 'reduced rate' room at the Hotel Grand for a one-night stay (July 27-28), and my wife and I were very happy with our accommodations.

Upon arrival, the valet service were courteous at informing us that we had a choice of valet parking or self-parking. Not a big difference in price, but we like the flexibility of self-parking...and it's very easy at this hotel, once you figure out which elevator you are closest to. I don't like paying for parking as much as the next guy, but that's the going rate in certain cities. Just be thankful it's not downtown NY or San Francisco!

Check-in was listed at 3pm; we arrived at just after 1pm. The attending lady informed us that our room wasn't ready, but asked us if we would like another room instead. So she gave us Room 717 in the East wing, with two double beds. That was perfect for myself, my wife, and our 16mo. old. We were able to push one of the doubles against the wall, making for a perfect homemade "crib" using the extra pillows on the opposite side.

You'll notice complaints in here about the East wing in 'huge need of an update' OR 'no room to stretch out' OR 'tiny bathroom' OR 'terrible view' OR 'when are they going to get flat panel tv's in here'...yada yada. Perhaps some of the floors/rooms are different. On the 7th floor, we had a great view of South Victoria with the Washington Olympic Mtns in the background. And it's always great to have a perfectly baby-proofed balcony, so we could just let our son go in and out, without any worry that he was going to squeeze through a hole somewhere. I suppose the only thing that felt really dated to us was, yes, the TV....but I think we watched TV all of 10 minutes our entire stay. When the weather is nice (like it was during our stay!), the last thing I want to do is lounge around in a hotel all day watching the CBC!

Didn't try any of the restaurants in-house. There are so many places within walking distance, and my wife loves the Old Spaghetti Factory (2 blocks east). So you have all sorts of culinary choices within a 10-15 minute walk.

Definitely the best thing about this hotel is: location, location, location! You are in a prime spot for foot traffic in the downtown waterfront area. When the weather is nice, this is where you want to be!

Another plus was the pool area -- just a quick ride down our East wing elevator to the health club. The small 2 foot pool was absolutely perfect for our 16mo son, as well as perfectly temperatured. My wife was mad she didn't bring her goggles for the lap pool! Great hot tub with strong jets. Usually when you combine "health club" and "pool for kids"...the result isn't pretty. But it works. It looks like there are always 2 lanes reserved for adults who want to get their laps in, leaving the other 2 lanes open for kids to play in. And they have two blocked times during the day for 'adult only' swim. It's not a Las Vegas hotel pool, but the kids will get some fun out of it.

Some people complained about lack of wifi. We were able to get wifi....SOME of the time! The signal was strong throughout, but it "timed out" almost every time we closed and opened our computer. Sometimes it let us back on pretty quickly, other times it took a while! Hopefully, they are small kinks in their new system they will be worked out soon. When my wife really needed to get some work done on her laptop, she just plugged into the hardline (using their provided Cat5e cable). It's not perfect, and I can see why some people might complain about not being able to check their email while watching the news on a nice LCD TV. But it worked fine for us.

While we we're on the topic of 'upgrades'....it would nice to have a power plug-in built-in to the desk for those business travelers and their laptops. Lots of other business-type hotels have them, so it's a little more noticeable when they aren't there. Just a small suggestion (if hotel mgmt is reading this!).

Various complaints were also waged about the cost of various amenities. I'm sympathetic to the complaints, as I don't want to pay $12 for a shot of Bailey's either! I don't know who pays that much for such items (I sure don't), but it is what it is -- that's what 4-star hotels charge for their items....anywhere in the world! If you don't like it, then do like me and don't buy them!

I suspect the BIG question at the end of the day is what you get for money. When I checked the normal mid-week rates, our discounted rate was around 40% off that....and at the discounted price we paid for our room, we feel like we got EXCELLENT value on the dollar. If I had paid full price, my expectations would probably have been higher...especially since the cheapest room at the Empress across the street (a Fairmont hotel, no less!) was only about $10 more than the cheapest at the Grand! Perhaps the newer West wing is comparable to the Fairmont, I can't say for sure.

All and all, we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We on a family vacation and this property was the highlight of the trip. If you want to stay in a modern hotel with the class of a by gone era then this is the place. Every one is polite, helpful and friendly. The rooms are very well appointed and also quite large. I was expecting a somewhat smaller room built on European standards. We had a wonderful buffet breakfast in the restaurant and it was wonderful. You can't go wrong with the Hotel Grand Pacific. I will be back to Victoria and this will be where I stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Located close to the waterfront, Hotel Grand Pacific is an easy stroll to restaurants, parks and tourist sights. If you're travelling from Vancouver lower mainland to Victoria, consider getting on a whale watching tour instead of taking BC Ferries. It kills two birds with one stone including some resident killer whale pods action on the way.

The rooms are spacious and clean, perhaps due for some updating, but the king-sized bed makes up for it all. There's also a gym, swimming pool and hot tub/sauna for guests. Checking in and out is fuss free and pleasant. Luggage storage is available at the lobby.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
dalemryan, Director of Sales at Hotel Grand Pacific, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review of the Hotel Grand Pacific in Victoria, BC.

We do agree that our location is superb, with such close proximity to downtown Victoria, while offering the serenity of a quiet residential setting. The views of the Inner Harbour are lovely--even for those of us who live and work here!

Enjoy the rest of your summer. We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to Victoria.

Dale Ryan