“Benefits of the Empress Hotel with less fuss at lower cost”

Hotel Grand Pacific
Ranked #14 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Benefits of the Empress Hotel with less fuss at lower cost”
Reviewed July 26, 2011

My wife and I stayed for two nights in room 624 at Hotel Grand Pacific. We remember it fondly as one of the few landmarks of Victoria's colorful flower-studded Inner Harbour. Its architecture fits nicely with its Francis Rattenbury-designed companion buildings, the Parliament Building and the Empress Hotel. Its roof line echoes the Victorian Gothic dormered roof of the Empress Hotel, yet it is completely modern with elevators that provide lovely outside views as they rise.

Location
HGP is an economical alternative to the Empress Hotel. You can enjoy the preferred Inner Harbour location, including the flowers and topiaries of the Empress hotel complex (and high tea, if you want it), at a distinctly lower price. The nearby park and Parliament Building grounds provide a sense of calm and peacefulness. This is one of a handful of hotels that allow you to watch the coming and going of the Red Ball ferries and sailing ships in the Inner Harbour. We chose the HGP as the most convenient location for arriving in Victoria from Vancouver via ferry and Pacific Coach (C$48 per person), whose terminal is three blocks from HGP, and leaving for Seattle on the Victoria Clipper (US$93 per person--terminal is two blocks from HGP). We could wheel our suitcases between hotel and terminals. Most restaurants and shops are within easy walking distance at the other end of the Inner Harbour. We had dinner one night at Fiamo Italian Kitchen, and it was very popular and very good.

Room
Our room, seemed small, but it was adequate with a double bed and a small porch that I would call a half-porch (see photo). There were a few rooms that had full porches, but most rooms facing the Inner Harbour had modest little half-porches that were fine for having a coffee, but not big enough for sitting down to a breakfast for two. The king-sized bed was comfortable. The refrigerator was cold enough to freeze our ice pack. There was an old heavy TV with a good selection of channels.

Bathroom
There was a sink in the bathroom and another sink and mirror just outside, in front of the closet. My wife enjoyed drying her hair at the outside sink and mirror while I showered.

Quiet enjoyment
This is a quiet hotel that is just waiting to be enjoyed. It seems to have very decent guests. It seems distinctly non-bustling compared to the Empress Hotel complex where people are busy coming and going, checking in and out.

Internet
Both the wi-fi and LAN worked quickly and well. It was a pleasure not to have to worry about signal strength.

Restaurants
We had dinner at the hotel's Pacific Lounge where there is a large wine menu that satisfied our taste for ice wine. A large group was already seated when we arrived, and we were warned that we might have to wait, but it turned out that the food came within a normal amount of time. We had their version of Caesar salad, the Caesar salad gem, and roast pork. For dessert we had roasted pear tart, fennel seed, orange zest, tarragon panna cotta, and cranberry compote. Everything was tasty except the pork, which was overcooked, hard and without taste. We ordered breakfast to eat in the room one morning, and it came, fresh and warm, on time.

Check-in and check-out were fast and trouble-free. All of the staff that we encountered seemed professional and friendly.

Hotel Grand Pacific is a great deal for those who want to enjoy the conveniences of the Inner Harbour in a relaxed manner.

Room Tip: The rooms with the best views are on the upper floors, probably 620, 622 and 720, 722.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (664)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Bellevue, WA
Reviewed July 25, 2011

The hotel was very clean and updated. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I am particular about my pillows. They were fair, not the worst I have had, but much room for improvement. The pool was perfect for our teenagers to play in for an hour. Our teens enjoyed room service while we ate at "The Mark". The food at "the Mark" was delicious, service wonderful. We had the breakfast buffet, which had many options that the whole family enjoyed. This is a great place to take kids. If we every go without, we may try the a boutique bed and breakfast place. But this is a perfect hotel to enjoy Victoria since right in the heart of things.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor, ours was Harbor side but view was limited.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
elrosesk, General Manager at Hotel Grand Pacific, responded to this review, July 26, 2011
Dear Guest,

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will look into the quality of our pillows.

Thank you for the kind comments and for choosing to stay at the Hotel Grand Pacific.

Kind regards,

Reid James
Calgary
Reviewed July 21, 2011

We all have them. The single item, or place, car etc, that we enjoy so much - that we compare all others against them. This is my hotel. I've been back to The Grand a few times on business. I'm a pretty relaxed guest, and I really don't ask much. A made up room - to be reasonably comfortable with no hassles. It doesn't have to be perfect.... it really doesn't. This hotel accomplishes that..... easily.

A great location. Easy access to most of the finer places in the downtown waterfront. The legislature stands majestically next door and is a nice place to take an evening stroll around.

The staff are very professional. And not in the professional froo froo way that some hotels demand of their staff, which results in it seeming contrived. Take for example a server in their main eatery. I have to compliment Donna because this is someone who takes SO much pride her work. How do I travel there a couple times a year and she remembers who I am ? where I like to sit - what I like to drink.... Really? Amazing. I think that it's kinda freakish in a good way - but I've never experienced anything like that...... and she remembers my name!

I've had someone tell me that this place is "Dated" as in need of reno’s. Um.... let me be clear. NO it is NOT DATED. It was built to look that way which I think is neat. Not worn out dated - but dated as in a period in time.

The hotel has a lovely pool, hot tub, gym etc - guests can access this as well and it has recently undergone renovations.

The food is fantastic. The morning buffet breakfast is so tasty. Yes... you pay a little more staying here, but I've had FAR less for the same price.

A Couple of things I'd change:

I'm sure this will be done sooner than later, but wow, their TV's are dated - OLD dated. Cathode Ray Tube Televisions are not easy on the eyes. Asthetically, or to watch. Most people don't own these anymore in the established world. Most Hotels don't have them either, so it's time to change them up. They'd look better, and are cheaper on power consumption by 75%. That's a savings to the hotel!!

Other than the TV's – another recommendation I would make is for the owners to deploy wide spread HIGH speed WIRELESS internet free of charge. Why? Business travelers need it for work. Almost everyone is connected these days with iPhones, iPads or some form of laptop. To charge any fee for this over and above a room charge is wrong. They do provide wired access for free, but how would that help travelers with an iPad, or having to pull out long cords to run to the wired connection. Most want to sit on the bed and do their computing – not sit at the desk. No really – think about it.

Finally - Parking. Guests are charged to park here at the hotel. I believe it's around $12.00 per night. I always found this was in poor taste. Mostly because people are already paying a good fee to stay at the hotel per night. To be charge extra to park the conveyance which brought them there is rather insulting. Yes, hotels need to generate revenue - but how else are people expected to get to their establishment to spend the night anyway? Magic Carpet? Bus? Seriously - I pay it because the company pays for it - but I won't lie - there are pretty clean and reasonable places not far away that charge ZERO for wireless internet access in their rooms and free parking.... The Chateau Victoria for example.. Not the same high standards as this fine place..... but at the same time - it's the little things that can add up quick. People might not say anything, but they do notice and make mental note of it. I hope this hotel gives that some thought.

Room Tip: A portable Dlink DAP-1350 will turn this rooms wired internet into WIRELESS. Techie tip of the week...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
dalemryan, Director of Sales at Hotel Grand Pacific, responded to this review, July 22, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review from your recent stay with us. It is always wonderful to receive compliments, but we take all feedback very seriously and appreciate when a guest takes the time to indicate where we can continue to improve.

We appreciate your comments relative to the age of our televisions. We have begun the process of replacing TV's and will continue to place flat-panel screens in all guestrooms over the next several months. We are also delighted to inform you that complimentary high-speed wireless is available in all our public spaces and will be available in all guestrooms before the end of the summer.

While we appreciate your feedback relative to parking, let me assure you that we keep a close-eye on rates charged throughout the city to ensure we are always priced in line with, or lower than hotels in our competitive set.

Most importantly, let me thank you for the positive comments relative to the service delivered by our employees. We are very proud of the Hotel Grand Pacific team and the pride our employees take in delivering an exceptional level of service to our guests.

Again, thank you for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Victoria.

Dale Ryan
Director of Sales and Marketing
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Stephen on reception was a little snotty when he told us that Hotwire customers dont get the best rooms. he gave us a room on the second floor although we requested high floor after telling jus the alternative would be one at the back. Reception and request was in stark contrast to that received at Westin Wall and Marriott which we also booked through Hotwire. At those hotels we werent made to feel inferior through making a saving using Hotwire.
The room offered a partial view which was ok. plastic chairs on balcony a contrast to the "traditionally" furnished room. Second sink area a nice touch.

Room Tip: try to get a higher floor on the harbour side
1 Thank anitabarnes88
New Market, Maryland
Reviewed July 18, 2011

I have been staying at the Grand Pacific for a decade now. I keep going back for many reasons. Generous and precise hospitality, genuinely kind staff eager to make your stay a pleasant one, location, quality of the physical environment, the amazing Spa, delicious food and extraordinary view.

My only slight criticism would be that the service in the bar/lounge area is not on par with the rest of the hotel.

It's a wonderful thing to have a premier world class hotel in one of the most charming and beautiful cities in the world. I will be back...often:)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
b.c.
Reviewed July 17, 2011

my husband and i bought a travelzoo local deal and after checking hotel website decided to upgrade to a one bedroom suite . the photos were light and airy and showed big balcony windows etc.when we got to the hotel we got suite 226 and tiny dark and dingy second floor suite.. our tiny cement balcony looked out to a wall of other rooms,a awning roof. our bedroom had no windows nor a balcony. we were in a corner and need to use the lights to see in daylight even.we felt so claustrophobic we slept pooly.i will never stay there again.not sure if the poor room was cause we had a voucher but shame for renting that room.also we had 2 small old style tube tvs.

Room Tip: don't rent 226
Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank peggy34bc
elrosesk, General Manager at Hotel Grand Pacific, responded to this review, July 18, 2011
Dear Guest,

As I mentioned in my email response to your Hotel guest comment card, the Hotel did not receive this complaint during your stay. Although the Hotel was sold out on July 16, had we known about your dissatisfaction with your suite we would have tried to relocate you to another room. It is very difficult to remedy a situation when one does not know there is a problem.

As I also mentioned, the Hotel will commence guestroom upgrades in the East Wing in 2012 that will include flat panel televisions.

Lastly, please contact me at 1-800-663-7550 should re-consider your decision to stay with us and I will arrange for an industry rate and an upgrade, subject to availability.

Thank you for your feedback.

Kind regards,

Reid James
Victoria
Reviewed July 15, 2011

I've stayed at the GP lots of times, and I can say that it's my favourite hotel in downtown Victoria. I routinely recommend it to friends and colleagues.

Tara in guest services was great, and the evening turn-down and room tidy was greatly appreciated.

The fitness centre is also really nice; much better than a regular hotel gym (it actually attracts a lot of members from the community).