“Once in A Lifetime”

The Fairmont Empress
Ranked #21 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 20, 2010

You should stay at a grand hotel like The Empress because of it's location and its history. Yes, there are more modern hotels with better amenities at lower prices, but you can't help but feel like the grand lady of the manor while walking the immense halls of this giant hotel. I recently shared a double room while attending a conference and we were very comfortable with the fresh air windows, soft chairs, flat screen TV and fragrant toiletries. The bathroom was quite small, but well appointed and filled with soft towels. The staff could not have been nicer especially the lovely smiling housekeeping staff who delighted in hearing about our conference adventures.I also enjoyed the delicious curry buffet in the Bengal Lounge and thought it was the best deal in the hotel. The pool and fitness room was first rate and very welcoming. I do wish the hotel had regular gift shop or espresso bar. It was annoying to have to walk several blocks to pick up a magazine or candy bar, get a coffee, etc. I finally found a tiny shelf of normal hotel snacks and toiletries hidden near the cash register of the tea and coffee boutique, but it was just half a dozen items. Would I stay at the Empress again? Probably not as this was my second time, but it's nice to know how the other half lives.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
FairmontEmpress, Administrative Assistant, Operations at The Fairmont Empress, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2010

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a lovely comment. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope that you will return to The Fairmont Empress again - for a third visit!

There are newer reviews for The Fairmont Empress

Reviewed August 17, 2010

On arriving at the hotel they had no record of our booking and the receptionist went away for sometime even though I had the confirmation in my hand and a voucher confirming their booking number. Eventually we were given a room on the top floor of the hotel about as far as you could possibly get from the front door of the hotel. The walk from reception to the room was uninspiring - long boring corridors with an odd a picture on the wall.

The room was large and clean but had no air conditioning just a noisy fan in the middle of the room and no safe for the storage of passports unlike any other hotel I have stayed in in Canada or the US. There was no view at all from the room and the drapes did not fit the window. Room was very hot at night and the poor ventilation / just a tiny window and a noisy fan led to a restful two nights stay.

Hotel very busy not through guests but tourists popping in for tours of the hotel and for afternoon tea . If you want to see the Empress do as the many others just walk through or take one of their tours and stay elsewhere.

We have had fantastic stays at the Fairmont Hotels in Banff, Jasper and Lake Louise but the stay in Victoria just didn't hit the mark.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank appytraveller
FairmontEmpress, Administrative Assistant, Operations at The Fairmont Empress, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2010

I am very sorry to learn that your arrival at the hotel was delayed while your reservation information was located. I can assure you that this is certainly not indicative of the check-in standards to which we strive to achieve.

I have forwarded your specific room concerns to our housekeeping and engineering teams for their immediate follow up.

I would like to thank you for your comments surrounding the decor and aementies of the hallway and guest room. We are in the planning stages of our next refurbishment and feedback such as yours is a valuable tool for our design team to utilize in their preparations.

Reviewed August 15, 2010

Our four night's stay at The Empress was truly unforgettable ! We had an upgrade to a "grand" room with an exceptionnal view ..... no airco.... just open windows with flowing curtains and a bit of sea air as we walked in .... Breakfast in the wonderfull empress room, cocktails on the veranda and then dinner in the empress again... excellent staff. The executive chef came to our table twice... Takashi Ito; a very warm and friendly man !
We loved every minute of our stay and hopefully will stay there again ....

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed all aspects of your recent stay at The Fairmont Empress. It will be my pleasure to pass along your lovely comments to our food and beverage team who work very hard to offer exciting and quality dining options; none of which would be possible without our very talented Executive Chef Ito, who you had the good fortune of meeting.

Again, thank you and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress soon.

Reviewed August 14, 2010

My room wasn't ready until 4:30pm. No AC nor screen on the window (so too hot or bugs, take your pick). House keeping's solution for me was to send me 1 more fan and together with the ceiling fan, and another in-room fan, it was like sleeping in an eye of a cyclone. To top that off, my first floor DELUXE King studio was facing a float plane terminal, I was woken up around 5am by a plane taking off. When I checked out at the "President Club" counter (Fairmont's loyalty program), all the agent said to me after I recounted my horrible experience was "I'm so sorry to hear that, we don't usually get this kind of complaint."

With that I walk out of the hotel fuming and yet still had to wait for 15 mins for my luggage and valet (despite having called prior to my checking out), with a unprofessional bellhop don't know how to load a convertible.

The funny thing is I've had similar experiences in Royal York, and Châteaux Frontenac. Either the Front desk put some charges that was from another customers on my bill or Room service guy crashing the table 6 am in my room. Dear fellow travelers, if you want to have tea at Empress, book it and go. But for your own sake, STAY the hell AWAY from this chain of landmark hotels. For the same price, stick with Four Seasons or Relais & Châteaux, they know what luxury hospitality actually means.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank DavidzLi

Thank you for highlighting your concerns at the breakdown of our typically high level of service during your stay.
On behalf of our entire team at The Fairmont Empress, we are truly apologetic for your poor impression of our property.

Reviewed August 10, 2010

Location of this hotel with wonderful views was worth the money. Great old world charm. staff could not be more accomodating. The most wonderful bed I've ever slept on. Truly.

Highly recommend the hotel restaurant--we arrived at 3pm and had been traveling all day, it was a beautiful day 75 and sunny, sat on the large terrace, the fish and chips were wonderful. Staff was great.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends

Thank you very much for your wonderful feedback!

I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed The Fairmont Empress and one of Victoria's best kept secrets - our Veranda. This spot offers the best view in the city, perfect for watching the sunset and enjoying our delicious fish and chips.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Victoria and The Fairmont Empress in the near future.

Reviewed August 7, 2010

The hotel in Victoria to stay or witness! The Empress is the most upscale and elegant facility available in British Columbia. Whether coming by boat, ferry or flight.. be sure to check out this gem!

Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2010

We payed a lot for our evening at the Empress and even upgraded our room to club level and once we were settled discovered there was no air conditioning. For all this money we got a fan and our windows open so we got flies in the room plus noise. The hotel to look at is beautiful and I have the say the staff was spectacular. We did receive appetizers and a continetal breakfast in the club room for the extra $200.00 but we could have bought a lot more with $200.00.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 244,224

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent stay.

The Fairmont Empress is a heritage property, and due to the architectural limitations of the era in which it was built, we currently do not have the convenience of air conditioning in all of our rooms. Guest comfort is our priority and I am sorry that the lack of air conditioning detracted from your stay during the unusual heat wave we recently experienced.

It will be my pleasure to forward your compliments to our Fairmont Gold team and I am pleased that you found the service to be "spectacular".