“Beautiful, grand hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
Denver
“Beautiful, grand hotel”
Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

We sail our boat to Victoria quite regularly and like to stay on the docks in front of the Empress. There is always a lot going on in the area, and it's fun to take High Tea at the Empress. The public rooms of the Empress are reflections of a time long past, when travel was for the elite. The rooms are grand, to be sure. We have stayed in various rooms, including the upper rooms, which were for the staff. They are quirky, long and not wide, but they had a grand view. That's what you get when you show up without a reservation! The staff were very helpful and friendly and did their best to accommodate us. We could have stayed on our boat, but it was fun to spend a night in the grand, old hotel. The hotel shops were varied and had beautiful art works for sale, the jewelry store was worth a window shopping experience. The food was good, not spectacular, but the service was excellent. Stroll around the grounds and enjoy the topiary, flowers and statues. It's a lovely place to spend time, either several days or for a special evening!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
FairmontEmpress1908, General Manager at The Fairmont Empress, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear Valued Guest from Denver,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on Tripadvisor of your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that we were able to provide you with the service that The Fairmont Empress is so well known for. I am also happy to read that you enjoyed our wonderful Afternoon Tea experience. The tea lobby has been serving tea since 1908. The Empress Room, our formal dining room, features ceiling molding that is actually done with horse hair and plaster! We offer 477 different rooms, all with unique configurations which is one of the features of our historic property. I am glad you were able to enjoy our beautiful shops and our spectacular gardens. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress when you return to Victoria again.

Don Fennerty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (932)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Surrey
Reviewed May 1, 2014

WOW, what can I say. Checked in last week as I was in Victoria on a business trip. I arrived around 5:00 pm, checkin easy and as the room was not ready they upgraded my room and I received a voucher for a drink inthe Bengal Room. I had a lovely glass of wine as well had the spinich salad with chicken. YUMMY! So wonderful dinner.

My room 132 was a corner king room with 2 sets of windows, so a beautiful breeze on a corner with a view of the inner harbour. Not much noise, had a great sleep, stayed 2 nights. We are staying again in a couple of weeks for a conferance,I hope my husband and I get the same room! (anyone listening....)

As this trip was a bus trip and the meetings were at the Empress in the convention centre all meals were catered, and all I can say is WONDERFUL!

I loved the room, the bathroom was well equipped, the fridge had cream in it, too bad though I had bought small container of cream for my coffee in the morning as normally there is no cream only the powdered stuff. Keerp it up Fairmont, please always put real cream in the fridge for us cream drinkers!!! They have a Kuerig coffee maker,! perfect, no need to go elsewhere for coffee! for us coffee snobs.

Thank you! Only complaint is the ridiculous cost of parking a car $30 a night! Jeesh ! That is why it only gets a very good and not Excellent.

Room Tip: Rooms on the harbour a wonderful
Dear Valued Guest from Surrey,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on Tripadvisor of your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that we were able to provide you with the service that The Fairmont Empress is so well known for. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your room and the wonderful view of the harbour. Thank you for your comments regarding the parking charges. These comments will certainly be shared and addressed so that we are able to move forward with the goal of improving service in the future. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress when your travels bring you to Victoria again.

Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

The empress's architecture is beautiful. The staff are all nice and I recommend taking a walk through the hotel and gardens. However, the room was not worth the price. When we first checked into our rooms there was a wet face cloth on top of the clean towels and one of the taps leaker. The room is large but does not have much for extras that make it worth the price. The pool and hot tub are both old and small, but clean enough.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank Ciara M
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor of your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that we were able to provide you with the service that The Fairmont Empress is so well known for. It is wonderful to read that you also enjoyed our beautiful gardens. I apologize for the wet facecloth on top of the towels in the bathroom and that one of the taps was leaking. These are both unacceptable and I have followed up with our Executive Housekeeper on these two issues. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review and for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress when your travels bring you to Victoria again.

Calgary
Reviewed May 1, 2014

We had a really great stay, very friendly staff, superior location as it was close to the harbor and to the wedding we were attending. Within walking distance of shops. The bed in the room was extremely comfortable.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Dear Valued Guest from Calgary,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on Tripadvisor of your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that we were able to provide you with the service that The Fairmont Empress is so well known for. I am glad you that enjoyed our fantastic location. I hope you had the opportunity to enjoy a city tour of Victoria and see all that our city has to offer. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress when your travels bring you to Victoria again.

Kirkland
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Staying here is like stepping back in time. It is an experience in itself. It's not cheap, but for a couple nights well worth the money. Make sure to ask for a Canal view. Plenty of dining within walking distance. Great location for catching the various shuttles around town. I recommend the Tea and Garden package. Two musts while in Victoria.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Reviewed April 30, 2014

I was booked into a King Deluxe room. I got a queen deluxe room. Tiny room. Between the foot of the bed and the dresser, there was approximately 15 inches of clearance. Great view out the window, so that was a strong positive. The ironing board was broken. The iron itself was also broken but functioned with a bit of shaking. The room was clean, the bed comfortable, nice pillows, and nice towels. The bathrooms are very small, but in an old building that is just the way it is. The Empress is in a terrific location and is a gorgeous old architectural building, but suffers from its own positives. As a result, elevators are painfully slow, there is no air conditioning. Rooms are heated by noisy radiators and cooled by open windows. The thing that annoys me most, is booking one sort of room, and being given another. I truly think some hotels give you the worst available room they think you will accept, and unless you march back to the desk to complain you get stuck with it. I rarely ever complain about a room to the hotel. I just don't come back.

3 Thank Kevin M
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not as memorable as we would like. We strive to provide the best experience and customer service that guests have come to expect of Fairmont Hotels. I am sorry to read that you were not given the room that you had booked. Our sincere apologies. We are always very happy to move you into a room that is more comfortable. Please do not hesitate to ask in the future. I was very happy to read that you appreciated the history and architecture of this wonderful building, as well as the location. I hope you had a chance to explore our beautiful city. Thank you again for sharing the feedback. I would be happy to discuss your stay further should you wish.

Mississauga
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Good stay. Particularly the shower amentities and body lotions were fabulous. Gym was excellent. To go breakfast was good. Efficient room service. Concierge people are very friendly and helpful. Front desk is very courteous.