“Beautiful antique hotel!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Terrebonne, Canada
“Beautiful antique hotel!”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Beautiful hotel with a great location. Beds are very comfortable. As I was there for a sales meeting, I got to see many of my colleagues rooms. The rooms do vary in size quite a bit. The lowest category room is quite small for two people. I was told my room was a deluxe and I did appreciate the extra room seeing as I had a roommate. Bathrooms are extremely small however, not much room for two women. I am happy to have stayed here and experienced it but I'm not sure I would pay from my pocket to do so again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Alanna R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (938)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Kolkata, India
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I booked the hotel to attend an global conference, and although the price was a bit overboard, the impressive Empress made it a memorable experience for me! Ever since I checked in (earlier than 12 noon was allowed), I experienced a grand welcome ! The receptionist was very polite and courteous. The room was small, but well decorated, with good views. The VLC conference center was huge and well decorated. The location of the hotel could not be any better, stone throw distance from the ferry terminals, and hydrojet, as well as the gardens/walkways. Shopping complexes were next door too. I was pleasently surprised with the restaurant "Bengal Room" - a wonderful Indian dining opportunity (Bengal and Indian food)! I could walk around the hotel's greenery under the wonderful September sun. The check out was extremely efficient, even one night prior to my departure. I would recommend this to anyone who would like to revel in a little bit of luxury (and money).

Room Tip: All rooms are good, but if you chose the front panel, you will witness the charming view of the magn...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
FairmontEmpress1908, General Manager at The Fairmont Empress, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Valued Guest from Kolkata,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on Tripadvisor of your recent stay with us. I am so happy to hear that you had such a grand experience and that the staff treated you so well. I am glad that you had such a memorable experience in the Bengal Lounge and that you also enjoyed our beautiful grounds and our wonderful location. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review and share your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress when your travels bring you to the West Coast again.

Kind regards,

Don Fennerty
Forks, Washington
Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful establishment, superior service, once in a lifetime experience! Definitely a return visit soon! We had an exceptional stay and have recommended as a must stay to all of our friends. High Tea is a must! The tea selections were amazing, the canapés were mouthwatering, and the service was outstanding. I can't say enough about our lovely afternoon.

• Stayed March 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We recently had the pleasure of staying for 3 nights at this grand hotel. Can only describe the hotel as magestic. Very comfortable, lots of interesting features, overlooking harbour with plenty of eating places. (Bit pricy in restaurant though! The hotel has a charm that we have not experienced anywhere else,,,Highly recommended

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WillWhiteTravels
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This impressive and haunting relic of turn-of-the-century edwardian, chateau-style architecture proudly stands at the foot of Victoria's quaint and enchanting harbor, welcoming daily thousands of visitors from around the globe.
Wanting to truly relish in the experience of staying in this grand old dame, we opted to stay on the gold floor, in a Junior suite with harbor view.
What an excellent choice that turned out to be, as our junior suite was extraordinary.
Impeccable details throughout: beautiful crown molding, ceramic tiled fire place and mantle in the separate living room, beautiful four poster bed and most importantly: the view view view!
It was breathtakingly beautiful.
So much so, that each evening, we made sure we were promptly in our room at sunset, so that from the comfort of our own bed we could witness the elaborate sunset of Vancouver Island, spewing tones of fiery pink, orange and crimson across the clear blue sky.
Being able to watch the magnificent sunrises and sunsets from our room; having the luxury of peering out our windows upon the expansive Victoria harbor; viewing from above the thousands of photo hungry tourists captivated by the Empress's facade; we truly couldn't have had a better experience or room in this hotel.
The gold floor staff was beyond helpful, friendly and attentive. They suggested Victoria excursions off the beaten path: tranquil walks through varied eclectic neighborhoods in the city, kayak tours, and the best in locale cuisine. And each did so in a genuine and thoughtful way, even letting us into some of the hotel's lesser known historic corners, which made this historic hotel buff / nerd very happy.
The gold lounge itself was the only let down during this truly memorable stay.
The meat heavy selections left my vegetarian other-half hungry on more than one occasion, and there is an absence of really anything to eat in the lounge from 10:30 a.m. until 5p.m. I found the "honor bar" a little disconcerting, especially with domestic beer at $7 a pop. May as well drink downstairs in the bar with a better selection we thought, so in the end we did.
Had we paid extra for access to the Gold lounge only, we would have been more sore about it, I'm sure, but due to the awe-inspiring junior suite, the view and the remarkable Gold Floor staff, the sting from the lack of gold lounge selection and offerings really didn't last.
All that forgotten: I can't say enough about the haunting impression this beautiful hotel left on me: I plan on making the long journey to Victoria again one day soon, so that I may once more cross through her famous and ornamented doors.

Room Tip: Harbor view is a must. Gold Junior suite room 476 - breathtaking views!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bahstar1
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We came here in September 2012 for our honeymoon, I picked it even though it was a little expensive as it seemed to be the place to stay. It looked great on the outside, walked in and we were told our room wasn't ready and to come back in an hour. Had a lovely walk around the harbour and came back to be told again that the room wasn't ready. We were offered complimentary drinks which my wife received but I had to wait 30 mins for mine. When we eventually got to our room it stank and I mean it smelt awful. We couldn't stay in the room it was so bad so ended up getting a really crappy room which was apparently the only one left. it was smaller less furnished and so noisy outside.
The gym and pool were closed as they were being fixed the whole time we were there. I was so upset and disappointed by the reaction of the hotel staff. Which is probably why I am still prepared to write a bad review so long after the event. My suggestion come here for a visit as part of the historic tour but don't stay here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank emmetnorris
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Really good position. Rooms are little small and bit overpriced for what you get. Buying or eating anything in the hotel too expensive. Best to eat out. Our room was really small with no view at all but was a long week end and hotel looked like booked out.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple