The Fairmont Empress
Doubletree.com
$182
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Chateau Victoria Hotel and Suites(Victoria)(Great Value!)
$150
$140
$182
Marriott Hotels
$225
$211
  • Restaurant
Coast Victoria Hotel & Marina by APA(Victoria)(Great Value!)
$158
  • Pool
Best Western Plus Carlton Plaza Hotel(Victoria)(Great Value!)
$141
$136
Travelocity
Hotel Zed(Victoria)(Great Value!)
$135
$91
Orbitz.com
4,078 results
All reviewsbengal loungehigh teaafternoon teagold floorbengal roompresident's clubcurry buffettea roomceiling fanold worldbeautiful hotelair conditioningharbor view roomsconesbutchart gardensbritish columbiainner harbor
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Certainly an older hotel but Fairmont does a great job keeping the hotel looking great. The staff is attentive and professional. We always felt welcome from the time we spoke our first word to the doorman to any of the hotel housekeeping staff we passed in the hall. We were in a Fairmont Gold junior suite for the week and we couldn't have been happier. The room was ample in size with a great harbour view. Decorated nicely and a very comfortable bed. The best part of the experience is being taken care of by the Gold floor staff. Great personalities and a pleasure to interact with throughout our stay. The breakfast is faaaabulous and is a great way to start your day. Of course cocktails and canapés in the late afternoon are a nice touch also. A great time.

Room Tip: If you can afford to upgrade to the Gold floor I highly recommend it.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2013

This hotel looks like a castle.....built back in the 20s, high ceilings, beautiful wood work, you don't see alot of hotels like this. The food was good, room was plain (standard room) but the bed was great. Its right across from the water, museum across the street, right close to downtown. Great pubs and restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I recently stayed here as our conference was held at this hotel. The hotel rooms are smaller than what people might expect,however, I loved, loved the atmosphere. The bed,duvet and pillows were uber comfortable! At my age,it doesnʼt matter what the room looks like, as long as you can get a good nightsʼ sleep. The hotel staff were wonderful. They attended to my every request and did their best to answer my questions and look after my needs. The hotel pool and hot tub area is open until 1: 00 am which is later than most places. I really like this as I often get in late. This is a really important service for me. My only complaint is that the layout was confusing. I spent time going up and down elevators looking for my conference, the spa elevator and the front door??? itʼs a big hotel and a little confusing. I would definitely stay here again,in spite of me being "directionallly challenged".... I love this hotel!! Fairmont Empress, you rock!!

Room Tip: Ask to be close to an elevator if you have mobility issues.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 16, 2013

One of the stops on our big family holiday, we chose The Empress for a very special birthday dinner for two ladies in our party. The Bengal room is a very special place and we adults had a memorable meal in a near empty restaurant. Our waiters were attentive, interested and helpful. ( if we had not dined in the rating would have been 3 out of 5)
After Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, The Empress was a bit of a let down, it has all the marks of an old hotel (our room smelled which caused us to keep the window open for some nicer air) and it was nowhere near as cosy or inviting as CLL. There is no heart or vibe to this place, possibly because the dining areas are in the upper lobby and you don't pass by them, you have to go to them. The sitting area in the lobby has more the feel of a coach station. The beautiful Tea Room is off limits except for High Tea which is a real shame, it should be the belle of the ball.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 16, 2013

After taking the ferry from Vancouver (an awesome experience in it self) My husband was driving around to find the hotel and when I saw the Princess I told my husband pull over I have to take a picture, my husband started laughing and said "You don't need a picture this is where we are staying" I thought he was joking as this building was breathtakingly beautiful castle like building and grounds. We checked in to the cheapest room but soon upgraded as the basic room was the size of my bathroom and you had to walk sideways to get around the beds nevertheless to get my suitcases in there. We called the front desk and were immediately given a personal tour of other available rooms, keep in mind this building was built in the 1800's and not meant to be a hotel so each room and view was completely different. We chose a bigger room with a better view for $50.00 a nite, well worth it. I think we were on the 8th floor and even though it took me 20 hours to get here, all of a sudden I had energy to explore this paradise and see the beautful flower gardens and grounds. The marina was right accross the street, on the waterfront walkway with street performers and vendors selling native art. I wanted to walk and walk. The downtown area was 1/2 block away and you could go to resteraunts, stores, specialty and tourists shops. We went to mostly brewery pubs and the food and experience was awsome. The cobblestone streets were so clean and appeared safe. There were some homeless beggers, but not overwhelming. People were so nice. We went to Butchard Gardens and when I got there I held my breath and said "this must be what heaven looks like" Back to the rooms, we were stocked with first class amenities of shampoo etc. and wonder tea and coffee that is also sold in the gift shops at a high price.
I loved opening my window and the sea gulls would come and eat from my hands and I would just stare out everynight overwhelmed with the beauty and historic buildings. I though staff would be pompus but they were very friendly, accomodating, and immediately responded to your needs even when we called at 10PM for extra hangers. They called you by your name and even the Queens jubilee was going on while we were there and a beautiful wedding with old cars and a breathtaking event. The only negative is the spa and pool area (which you can only do so much in an old building) but I felt like I was in a dungeon and it felt very cold and I only went once.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room first before you check in. The staff will personnaly unburdened to show you what else is available. All the rooms are completely different
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jbway
FairmontEmpress1908, General Manager at The Fairmont Empress, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Dear Valued Guest from Colorado,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on Tripadvisor of your recent stay with us. I was so pleased to read all of your wonderful comments. Victoria truly is a wonderful city to explore any time of year. It is wonderful to hear that you had the opportunity to visit Butchart Gardens, a must see on any visit to Victoria. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Empress when your travels bring you to Victoria again.