We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
The latest reviews. The lowest prices. The perfect place to shop for hotels.

“Terrific value for pocket book and a fun outing.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chinatown

Chinatown
Book In Advance
More Info
$11.47*
and up
Historical Chinatown Walking Tour
Ranked #24 of 175 things to do in Victoria
More attraction details
Attraction details
Owner description: Canada's oldest Chinatown is characterized by narrow, winding streets and lots of little shops and restaurants.
Sooke
Level Contributor
25 reviews
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Terrific value for pocket book and a fun outing.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

A trip to Chinatown--be it for shopping, observing the traditional celebrations, or dining--assures one of an interesting and pleasant experience.

Visited March 2013
Helpful?
Thank Phoebe H
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Write a Review

668 reviews from our community

Visitor rating
    155
    249
    198
    50
    16
Date | Rating
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Dutch first
  • English first
  • French first
  • German first
  • Italian first
  • Japanese first
  • Portuguese first
  • Russian first
  • Spanish first
  • Any
English first
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
48 reviews
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“The second oldest on the Pacific coast I believe.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

Just a few streets but certainly very interesting historically. A lot of the shops along Fan Tan Alley have closed down but the stores along the main drag were fine. We stopped and had a cup of bubbletea which was delicious but pricey.

Visited May 2013
Helpful?
Thank Victoriandavey
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
62 reviews
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Go to Ocean Garden or Don Mee's!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

great food anywhere but Ocean Garden is my favourite spot (try the Singapore Noodles) or visit Don Mee's for Dim Sum. You cannot go wrong!

Visited April 2013
Helpful?
2 Thank TravellingDuo4
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
148 reviews
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“What China Town?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

They state that Victoria "HAD" the second largest China Town is North America. Second only to San Francisco's which I've been too... I think "HAD" is the important word here. With the exception of the China Town Gate and some Chinese looking lamp posts, china town is about a bock long. Other streets in the area seem to have little "Chinese" flavor. The Fisguard Street has a few Chinese markets and some Neon signed Restaurants. Neon must be a Chinese thing? ;-) Take 2 minutes to walk up one side the street and the other and you're done with 90% of China Town. The other 10% is what brought CHina Town review from terrible to poor.... Take a quick walk through Fan Tan Alley and Dragon Alley. Old Red Light district narrow alleyways sound very historic and attractive. They are kinda cool and interesting, but lacking any Historic reference, Red Light feel or Chinese flavor of past. Sad and disappointing.... Better Chinese history and displays at the Royal Museum.

Visited April 2013
Helpful?
2 Thank Mike W
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Cowichan Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
31 reviews
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“LOVE Shopping and Eating in Victoria's China Town!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Great restaurants , nice variety of and wonderful shops.
This is a nice place to visit, especially during Chinese New Year.

Visited March 2013
Helpful?
1 Thank Monika2873
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.

Travelers who viewed Chinatown also viewed

Victoria, Victoria Capital Regional District
Victoria, Victoria Capital Regional District
 
Victoria, Victoria Capital Regional District
Victoria, Victoria Capital Regional District
 

Been to Chinatown? Share your experiences!

Write a Review Add Photos & Videos

Owners: What's your side of the story?

Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.

Claim Your Listing