“Really worth checking out - pleasurable way to spend an afternoon in Victoria”

Kelp Reef Adventures
Ranked #2 of 109 Tours in Victoria
More attraction details
Owner description: Kayaking is the best way to see Victoria. We specialize in safe, fun and educational kayak tours of Victoria's Harbour and waterfront. Our floating location at Fisherman's Wharf is a 10 minute walk from the cruise ship terminal and 20 minutes from downtown on the scenic boardwalk. We are the closest kayak shop to the Juan de Fuca straight, so when conditions allow, we will paddle along the coast to the kelp forests and an island the harbour seals frequent. Along the way we may see different shore birds like eagles, osprey, oystercatchers, cormorants, and the great blue heron. Starfish, jelly fish and kelp crabs are usually hiding just below the surface. Kayaking is easy and we make it easier by offering paddling jackets, gloves and a bottle of water. Plus on our kayak launch you won't even get your feet wet!
Scotland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Really worth checking out - pleasurable way to spend an afternoon in Victoria”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Took a kayak tour with Brad in June. The level of physical effort is fairly minimal so no concerns about exhertion. Brad is a thoroughly personable tour guide and very knowledgable and really made the tour fun.

Not only would I recommend but next time I'm in Victoria I'll actually do the tour again myself!

KelpReefAdventures, General Manager at Kelp Reef Adventures, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are very proud of our reputation on Trip Advisor. Without the kind remarks of our past guests we wouldn't have made it to #1 of Top Tours in Victoria and #2 of Top Tours in BC! We continue to operate tours year round in Victoria so please don't hesitate to contact us on your next visit.

Victoria, Canada
“Katharine is a great guide for any experience of kayaker.”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Katharine gave us a trip overview and an excellent safety demonstration before our tour. Even though I had much less experience than the other kayaker on the tour, I never felt left behind. Katharine was extremely patient and gave me tips during the entire trip so that I felt more comfortable.

What a great way to celebrate your birthday! A sunny, hot day for September, and a small, intimate group at a relaxed pace. You underestimate your abilities! You handled that single kayak masterfully, opting out of using the rudder while surfing back into the harbour. While Katharine appreciates your kind remarks I hope you rated your tour and not your uneasiness of paddling a single kayak for only the second time! Give us a call when you are here next, practice really increases confidence.
Camas, Washington
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great morning kayaking”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

On a beautiful, sunny, calm morning on a Tuesday, Brad took our family of 3 on a tour out to the bull kelp forest. We were all novices. After initial instruction on how to put on the equipment, basics on how to paddle and operate the kayak, we were off into the water. We explored the Harbor, and the outer coast, and even had some time to explore the gated houseboat area in Victoria Harbor. We saw otters, seals, oyster catchers, beautiful homes and mountains. All in all, we had a great time.

1 Thank gcp570
The morning kayak tours are great, the wind is at its lightest and we have great wildlife viewing opportunities. I especially love those black oystercatchers, just like my jack russel cross, they have big attitude for their small size! I've found that their persistent noisy vocalizations have been known to intimidate even a bald eagle.
West Bay Marina is home to a gated floathome community that differs to the floathomes at Fisherman's Wharf. I call it the Beverly Hills of floathomes where homes are four stories with sun decks on every level including the roof! Because we don't have access to walk around them like at Fisherman's Wharf, the only way to appreciate them is by kayak. However, you can only find the house boat that is an ice cream shop or the floathome that appeared in a movie, colourful murals and quirky personalities evident of the homes at Fisherman's Wharf!
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“More than Excellent!”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Brad and Katherine were fantastic and made my experience fantastic. I had no experience, and I was there alone, so Brad went with me in a two person kayak. Brad was funny, knowledgeable, truly interested in making sure that not only did we have a good time, but that we understood the ecology of the area. The focus was on seeing wildlife, but not disturbing them. Lunch was a picnic in the kayaks tied up in a kelp bed. It was a wonderfull morning and I was shocked to realize that it was time to go back-3 hours felt like 20 minutes. The pace was easy and I think that anyone could do it. Please make sure this is part of your trip to Victoria, as it is beyond words!

Visited September 2012
KelpReefAdventures, General Manager at Kelp Reef Adventures, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thanks again Tracy. We do try to educate our guests about our area and how to respect our eco system. It is important to us that we do not disturb the harbour seals while they are resting, especially while they have young that they are nursing. By simply approaching slowly and quietly we are able to enjoy our time with the seals without startling them into the water. By these actions we can ensure that the next kayakers to the area are also able to observe the seals resting out of the water on the rocks. I hope in the future other kayakers will show the same restraint! We hope you return on your next visit to Victoria.
Denver, CO
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“A great adventure in Victoria”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We had a great adventure with Brad and Katharine. We did the 3 hour tour with out teenage daughter. We are first time kayakers but they made us feel extremely comfortable right from the beginning. Brad was fantastic as a guide. He also helped us understand a lot more about the harbour and its wildlife. We were able to see oyster catchers, seals, heron and other birds. We also enjoyed all the many sights and sounds of the harbour, including float planes, cruise ships, a wooden vessel competition that day, etc.

The tour was very individualized. It was also very peaceful. We ate lunch out by a mother seal and her pups and had a wonderful time.

Visited September 2012
Thanks for your review. We did luck out that morning to have the Classic Boat Show candidates putting on a parade as we paddled back into the harbour! There are a number of great organized events scheduled during the summer in Victoria's harbour; Symphony Splash the first weekend of August, the Dragon Boat Festival the second week of August, Jazz Fest, the Busker Festival and more! It is also fun to watch the 'ballet' that the Victoria Harbour Ferries perform every Sunday morning during the summer. You just never know what you will see on one of our tours!