“A unique perspective of Victoria”

Victoria Hippo Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Victoria Hippo Tours are unique tours that take you around the city, traveling both on land and water. We have specially designed amphibious vehicles that carry 40 passengers and function as both bus and boat. During your continuous 90 minute trip onboard the Hippo, you will see many of Victoria’s best attractions, while also getting a glimpse of local life. You will enjoy a relaxing tour around the city before splashing into the Pacific Ocean for the second half of your journey. Join us on one of our three buses, Harry, Happy, and Henrietta. With our knowledgeable staff and tour guides, you will experience a trip like never before on the Bus That Floats! (Tour season extended to October 16th 2016)
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator
Victoria, Canada
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“A unique perspective of Victoria”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Victoria Hippo Tours are a new attraction to Victoria and I hope they do well. Except for a brief blurb in our local paper they haven't been heavily promoted. By far their best PR comes from the odd-looking vehicles themselves as they drive around town.
My wife and I are locals and earlier this year we hosted my wife's aunts from Alberta. We decided to take a Hippo tour and we enjoyed it immensely.
The bus starts from a downtown location. If you're a tourist that's not an issue. If you're a local, you might be challenged to find nearby parking although I easily found a free two-hour zone a block away.
The bus drives around the downtown core, zipping through Chinatown and past other landmarks. You'll get lots of curious looks from people in the streets gawking at the colourful, strange-looking bus.
The bus then drives into the ocean -- with a dramatic splash -- via a boat launch near the cruise ship terminal. You spend another 45 minutes on the water as you make your way into Victoria's inner harbour for a unique view of Victoria from the water.
Our guide -- forgot her name :( -- was cheerful and animated. As locals we heard her make a few mistakes in her commentary. There were more than a few other locals on the bus judging from how many other people were quick to correct her. She took it all in good stride. She was a new arrival to Victoria herself and was probably still getting her facts down. And it didn't lesson our enjoyment of the experience one bit.
For about $85 a couple you get a comprehensive tour of downtown Victoria via land and sea. When you consider that a pedi-cab tour would cost $90 for the same amount of time and that you could only see a few square blocks of Victoria from the street you realize that it's excellent value for the money.

Lynden, Washington
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Tourist Value in Victoria, BC”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

This is the first year this tour operator is in Victoria having just relocated from Toronto. This tour offered by this company really encompasses a lot of history and scenery. Unlike "The Duck" in Seattle, this tour company gives you a lot of bang for your buck. Their amphibious craft are newer craft and provide a great way of viewing the beautiful city Victoria, BC.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank FirstNanook
Seattle, Washington
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“SPLASH!”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We loved the Hippo bus tour! We have visited Victoria a few times and found this tour not only to be fun but more informative than some of the other Victoria sightseeing tours we have taken in the past. It is a "splash" rush when going into the water. Nice perfect summer day - so what a treat going into the water. Also gives you different perspective of city seeing it from the harbor. Tour well worth the money and I would recommend it to anyone. Fun for all ages.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank love2dine50
Edmonton, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Go Hippo Go!!”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

My husband and I had an incredible time riding on the Hippo Last month. It was great to see Victoria;such a beautiful and historical place. I loved our tour guide, Kara. She was kind, amiable and most importantly informative; we enjoyed learning about the historical landmarks that tell countless stories of Victories past. Thank you Hippo for a memorable experience. I can't wait to come back here once again! I already miss Victoria and its wonderful people!

2 Thank Natalie R
Victoria, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great time on the Hippo”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I have lived in Victoria for 10 years or so and thought I knew the city pretty well. When I saw that we had a new tourist attraction I thought that I would give it a try because it was something different in case friend or relatives from out of town come over to our island. Well let me say that I know nothing regarding this city in comparison to our guide Emilie. She was very interactive and animated during the entire 1.5h tour answering questions and getting people involved.

Definitely something that Locals should do as I learned a lot and I'm sure other people will as well.

1 Thank Hayned