“The bus was a bust.”

Ranked #37 of 110 Tours in Victoria
Type: Bus Tours, Tours
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

The hop on- hop off feature adds the most value to this tour. Guides were full of incidental facts not really connected to a greater theme or story, so the "guide" part was lacking. The tall bus with the partial roof strikes low-hanging horse chestnut branches causing a fearsome racket in the bus and obscuring the narration. I would choose a different company next time.

1  Thank OrigamiGirl
Citytraveller4444, Social Media Manager at Gray Line Sightseeing Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Hello OrigamiGirl,

Thank you for coming on our tour, and thank you for your review. All reviews in the long run with help make our company and tours better. I'm glad you found the hop-on hop-off feature to be of good value, but am sorry about the experience you had on the bus. It is never our intention to have guides that do not entertain, as that is their first job (behind bus safety!). Yes with the low hanging branches there are sometimes a few dings to the side of the bus here and there, and we are sorry about this inconvenience. We hope the rest of your stay in Victoria was great, and that you will return to our city soon!

Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

We thought we would get a tour with some historical facts. Instead we got mostly a tour of condos and houses with uninteresting commentary. Even the tour around downtown didn't offer anything that would make me go back. Don't waste your money.

1  Thank NashVegas37

Hello NashVegas37,

We are sorry that you did not recieve the information you were looking for on-board our tour. We are currently in the process (1 out of 2 buses on our run) of adding full time guides, so that the bus drivers can focus on driving instead of narrating. This has provided us with quite positive feedback, as the guides on-board are able to provide any information necessary to customers. They offer a full range of knowledge from history, food, humor, and even ghost stories. I hope the rest of your stay in Victoria was great, and that you return soon.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

My boyfriend, his family and I went on this tour and had a great time! Even though we were all locals the tour was very interesting, the driver was super friendly, and while the bus was a little bumpy at times it was pretty cool to be on an authentic British double decker. Definitely would recommend checking these guys out it is something fun to do on a sunny summer day in Victoria!

Citytraveller4444, Social Media Manager at Gray Line Sightseeing Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Hello VicCityGirl,

Thanks for your great review! I'm glad our tour combined with friendly staff made your
trip that much more enjoyable. Gray Line appreciates you taking the time to post
a review and we hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I purchased the Hop on Hop off vouchers on line. When our cruise ship arrived we noticed the double decker bus. When we got off the ship I asked the driver; he said I would need to take the shuttle into town( at a cost of $10.00 each). When we arrived at the kiosk the representative said all the buses were being used by the cruise line. I asked about reimbursement she could not help. I'm home after several emails & phone calls still no service!

2  Thank Bob628

Hello Bob,

The day of June 27th was a busy day for the cruise ships, and last minute they had asked
to borrow our buses in an emergency. Unfortunately, it was an unforeseeable predicament
and it put all our staff in quite a bind. Since your pre-booked ticket was bought online, our
sales staff on the street could not do the refund there (it'd have to be done in our back office).
We are so sorry for all this inconvenience, and have of course issued a full refund in our
computers. We hope the rest of your stay in Victoria was great, and we look forward to
correcting this mistake for you if you decide to visit Victoria again.

Sincerely sorry,

Reviewed May 17, 2013

We asked before we got on if this tour was narrated & were assured it was. I expected a little more then something like "This is Chinatown". When we passed the stop for Craigdarroch Castle he gave about 2 sentences about the place. I knew more by reading a travel brochure. I would say most of the narration could have been said in about 10 minutes. We were very disappointed in the presentation. Maybe one of the other tour services would be better.

3  Thank goldenruler
Citytraveller4444, Social Media Manager at Gray Line Sightseeing Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Hello,

I would like to pass on our apologies for your experience aboard our hop-on hop-off city tour. Being our first week of operations and having to adjust for new routes, new drivers, and new staff, we ultimately lowered our prices to accommodate for a few mix-ups along the way. I hope that the narration did not hinder your trip too much, and you were still able to enjoy the scenic views of lovely Victoria. Your review has been noted and passed on to our narrators to make sure others experiences are made better.