“Think again about HI Victoria”
Review of HI Victoria Hostel

HI Victoria Hostel
Reviewed September 27, 2008

This hostel is in a great location, central to downtown and management were quite friendly however the hostel is quite old and run down. We slept in a dorm room which I dont advise as it was quite noisy. As it is close by niteclubs and eateries it is quite noisy out on streets until about 2am, especially on weekends. The showers offer no privacy with clear screens and no cubicles for changing.
Bunk beds were quite uncomfortable and we both woke up with sore backs.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 4, 2008

This is a fantastic location for an HI backpackers hostel. Right in the centre of the old town, and a short walk from most of the attractions in central Victoria.

The building is one of the older buildings in the area, and the style is that of an older HI hostel with (very) large dorm rooms. There is one co-ed room with three bunk beds for couples or families, so if you are looking to stay with your boy/girlfriend or partner then you should request this when you book.

The common areas are very large, reflecting the number of people that can stay at the hostel. The kitchen could get cramped if lots of people are cooking at once, but there is plenty of room for people to eat or chill out. The staff are very helpful with advice for things to do and places to eat.

There are information boards with all of the details of how to carry on your journey from Victoria which are very helpful! This includes details of how to get to Vancouver by transit buses & Ferries for 1/3 the price of the coach link!

Pretty standard HI accomodation in a great location.

• Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed January 15, 2008

The HI Victoria was fantastic. From the moment we walked in, there was a homely feeling and I felt so safe!! We were very lucky and was offered an upgrade to a private double room for an extra $5 a night, which was far cheaper then the other hostels in Victoria, and that would have been for a dorm room.

The staff were very friendly and helpful, the internet was fast and cheap and the place was very clean. While at the hostel we went on the nature hike, which was recommended to us by the receptionist at the time, and it was the most amazing experience I have had whist on a walk. The scenery was beautiful and the company was next to none!! We all enjoyed ourselves and spent the whole day out exploring Victoria's forest and ocean.

The location of the HI is good, only a short walk to Douglas st, and at night I felt safe walking around by myself. There are some awesome places to eat nearby and if you are catching the bus and ferry, it is about 8 streets away (10min walk). The parliament and museum is only a short walk away as well.

The room was great, a double bunk, heater, chair, radio/alarm, desk and mirror. The girls toilet was a 'private' toilet next to the male dorm, and my partner shared the male dorm's shower and toilet. The shower wasn't too flash, it was a little hard to get clean with only a drizzle, and the sink kept getting clogged and over flowing, but after 10mins that settled down! I just washed my face and brushed my teeth in the bathroom down the stairs.

There was a good games room, with fooseball and other board games etc. And the kitchen was large and very clean.

Overall I would definatly stay at the HI Victoria again, and I would recommend it to any one on a budget who wants a bit of fun. Don't go here if you want luxury, that is why Victoria has The Empress!!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2007

We've stayed here several times over the past few years. My son is now in his last year in high school (Brentwood College School) in Mill Bay, North of Victoria. Connie and I are booking with HI Victoria now for late September.

I'd rate HI Victoria near the very top of my extensive hosteling experience. I've stayed with Connie, with 2-3 children ranging from 8-17, stayed in dorms, private rooms (haven't seen the semi-private rooms, as mentioned above). It's the most fun & enjoyable lodging opportunity in Victoria, IMHO.

Staff can't be beat. Very polite, helpful, and personable, in our experience. Hostel is very clean. Waterfront location *absolutely* can't be beat. Nothing else comes very close. Yes, parking is challenge anywhere in downtown Victoria, but we've never had much of a problem.

Our home is in Anchorage, blanton at mac dot com.

Good food in the neighborhood. Among our favorites are the Pickle for breakfast, and the Pita place just around the corner.

Stayed: April 2006
Reviewed July 4, 2007

My husband and I just stayed two nights at this hostel. We stayed in the semi-private room, which means that although you have a key to your door--the walls of the room we stayed in do not reach the ceiling! To be fair, we were warned of this when making the reservation and it actually wasn't much of a problem, except for turning the light on at night and waking up the bunks next to us. The room was really small which the staff were apologetic about, but I actually felt quite lucky when I saw the majority of the accomadations which were huge rooms with lots of bunk beds and no door at all.

The staff were fantastic and you could tell they spent a lot of time ensuring the safety and security of the guests. That said, having stayed in many European hostels, I was surprised that many of the guests were not youth at all. There were many mid-aged adults and some older adults. Some of the mid-aged adults seemed to be staying on an extended basis for the low cost accomadations, rather than being travelers like you usually find in hostels. Specifically, there was one guy who was there all three days we were there who spent the whole day by himself sleeping in a chair. This kind of thing and the general look and smell of the hostel made it feel more like a homeless shelter than a thriving hostel.

Other small things that made the hostel seem sketchy...the TV in in the TV lounge doesn't have the ability to be turned down as both the down arrows for channels and volume are literally worn out; the showers don't have a changing area; the carpet is old and nasty; the furniture is gross; the disabled bathroom smelled like urine the whole time we were there (despite being cleaned regularily) and had a commode next to the toilet at all times even though I'm not sure this would be useful to people in wheelchairs necessarily since it too was on wheels. All of these things left us with the impression that the place was dirty and never made you feel at home. I didn't get the same sense of community that I've felt in other hostels since many guests were not travelers in the sense that you find in Europe.

I would not recommend this hostel, nor would we stay again. The price is definitely right, but I've seen MANY better hostels for the same price. And, as another reviewer pointed out--Victoria is small enough that even though the hostel is located in a great place--so are most other accomadations.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ashlibrooks
Reviewed May 12, 2007

My husband, two children and I booked to stay in this hostel for three nights but only stayed one. We had a private 4-bunk room, but the boys had to walk through the male dorm to go to the bathroom- very intimidating for our 10-year-old son.

The front office staff was quite unfriendly. There was no parking nearby.

The hostel was in a very convenient location downtown, and this is probably a reasonable option for backpackers but not couples or families.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank nambourlady
A TripAdvisor Member
Victoria
Reviewed June 3, 2006

I'll give this HI credit for one thing: it was clean. Other than that, I wouldn't dare recommend it to my friends. I stayed here for two nights while looking for an apartment for the school year. My dorm was huge and there was no noise control! Other girls were up all night, so the rest of us got absolutely no sleep. Aside from that, I'm pretty sure anyone who can pay, can stay there... so there were a handful of weirdos hanging around.

It's true that it's close to everything in downtown, but, now that I live in Victoria, I've noticed that ALL the hostels are close to everything. Downtown is pretty small in itself.

My advice to anyone coming to VictoriaL check out the other hostels first, you'll be much more comfortable!

• Stayed: August 2005