“The worst hostel I've ever stayed in.”
Review of HI Victoria Hostel

HI Victoria Hostel
Reviewed October 25, 2013

In a nutshell, after staying in hundreds of hostels around the world, this has to be by far the worst. It should not be advertised on backpacker websites because quite frankly it seems as if it is a shelter for the homeless. Being a young traveller, and to be honest not extremely picky when it comes to a bed for a couple of nights me and my friend were appalled when we got put into the huge dorm and had a homeless man in our bed section. There were around 4 of them staying there, and this particular man in our section was around 65 years old would sleep all day and the personal hygiene was shocking, we were taken aback by the strong smell of dirtiness from himself, and him laying there constantly made us feel extremely uncomfortable, also keeping us awake at night him waking up all the time because he has had too much sleep. I would not recommend this hostel to anyone, unless you were a homeless person looking for a place to stay. I most certainly do not recommend any female travellers staying here because what we were exposed to as males, females, well just stay away. We asked to move into the 4 bed dorm and offered to pay the difference and the man on reception refused and told us it is reserved for couples even though there was no one staying in the dorm at the time. Hostels can be basic, that's what you sign up for but this was awful.

• Stayed: October 2013
5  Thank Crewz W

Reviewed October 8, 2013

The bar across the street has an extremely loud bar night every Monday till 2 am! It is near impossible to avoid the immense vibrations coming from across the street! Sleep is not possible! The free breakfast was weak coffee, a loaf of white bread and a tub of Margarine with a pot of jam. Staff were very courteous, friendly and kind! The location is a little far from the bus terminal but close to the harbour!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank SusaninManitoba
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights in the female dorm room. They have 2 rooms that connect to each other (so walk through the first room to get to the second), and all up about 15 bunks/30 beds. So not a lot of privacy!

The bathrooms also don't afford much privacy, communal space with 4 showers. Definitely easier to manage if you're not shy about your body - more difficult if you don't just want to throw off your clothes.

Kitchen is well equipped, and there is some form of breakfast apparently, I wasn't told on arrival but on my last morning there seemed to be toast and spreads available.

The vibe here is quite dead. I'm a 22 year old female and I assure you I was the youngest staying there. Everyone seemed to keep to themselves, I did and partially because of the age difference. Great location, easy to get to everything and in the middle of downtown basically.

If you are younger and want more of a social vibe I recommend the Ocean Island Inn, I stayed here when I was next in Victoria and it was just a better fir for my needs.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Hayley Z
Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for three nights recently.
14/15 September and 22nd.
$30CAD each per night.

The hostel is nice! Located perfectly downtown. Lots of pubs, restaurants, shops , liquor store, Chinatown for cheap rice/veg/fruit/oriental ingredients. Only problem is no proper grocery stores. Nearest is 6 blocks away.

The hostel itself is grand. Rooms were clean. I stayed in a mixed dorm with gf - no problems. Rooms had lockers and only one key per couple - secure.

The bread in morning tended to disappear very quickly. Mainly due to some guests being too selfish and eating it all - why do people do that?

Showers and toilets were fine. The men's has a strange setup with the main showerd located through another dorm. Never caused s problem though.

The staff were helpful to us. Recommended places to eat and drink, shop for food and to park our rental car.

The main issue was with the other guests - they never talked to us! More interested in being on their phone or laptop. Then giving out about the Wi-Fi (which was crap in bedrooms but OK in common area). People need to learn to smile and say hello and talk about what they've been doing/planning. This is not a party hostel.
It is a real couples hostel - Europeans planning the cheapest way to get around the island or get to the Rockies.
The friendliest couple there were a retired couple from Vermont. We had a great chat!

So to sum up - put away the electronic gadgets and talk to real people.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 14, 2013

They all are terrible. Very noisy, dirt all around, the staff were lazy and didn't care about my concerns. Great location, but NOT worth the aggravation. Price was average,and competitive with other Hostels.
I would suggest the traveler walk a distance more and stay at the "Turtle Hostel" where rooms are clean and people are nice.
I would not ever return to this Hostel and I have been to a lot of them.; this one is among the worst.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Located pretty much downtown Victoria, I found the staff helpful and made me feel welcome! The crowd was a bit segregated, it seemed everyone was just on their electronics with headphones on and didn't want to socialize, which is too bad. Clean beds and showers and definitely doesn't disappoint!

Room Tip: Get a bed farthest away from the window so you don't have to endure the noise from the street.
Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 31, 2013

On first arriving I was feeling rather disappointed because the interior of the hostel does not compare to a number of the other HI hostels I have stayed in, and would generally rate as fantastic. It is all somewhat dated and a little sparse. I was also less comfortable with the mega 18 bed 'open' dorm. For the busyness if the day, I have t say that it was remarkably quiet at night and that I got a very good night's sleep, despite the saggy mattress.
Things were further improved my the incredibly helpful staff who sorted out my airport transfers for me! On the basis of the friendly help I would return again if passing through Victoria, but probably wouldn't recommend for any lengthy stay.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo