HI Victoria Hostel
$278
$234
Doubletree.com
  • Restaurant
Royal Scot Hotel & Suites(Victoria)(Great Value!)
$132
$182
Hotels.com
$182
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
Best Western Plus Carlton Plaza Hotel(Victoria)(Great Value!)
$141
  • Restaurant
Coast Victoria Hotel & Marina by APA(Victoria)(Great Value!)
$158
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
Best Western Plus Inner Harbour(Victoria)(Great Value!)
$178
Hotwire.com
All reviewsgreat locationcentral victoriadormitorychinatownharbourparliament
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 23, 2013

In February 2013, at HI Victoria, I booked a private room with separate beds for me and my one friend visiting from Toronto. At the February time of booking and stressing that we each needed to be in a bottom separate bunk, I was told we could have a room with two sets of bunk beds for the one night of August 13, 2013 and we could use the bottom bunks. The room would be held private for us. In April, I dropped by this Victoria hostel on Yates to double check the room and rate. I viewed the room with two sets of bunk beds and verbally confirmed the rate of $64 for my August 13 arrival. However, upon late arrival approx 3:00 pm on Tuesday August 13 we were informed the room was now $80. The hostel's computer was down at the time and I didn't have my printed reservation. We paid the $80 and given the key to our room. The room contained one bunk that had a double bed on the bottom with a single on top. I said that's not the room I booked way back in February and a few months later confirmed. I was told it was the only room available. He suggested the Tourist Bureau may be able to help us, and he refunded our money. I was not happy at all and will never ever book that HI hostel again. We ended up driving back to Nanaimo very late that evening but it was definitely worth the drive back to Nanaimo.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I would not recommend this hostel, the sheets are full of hair when you get them, you have to make up the bed yourself which is not nice when you arrive late at night, the dorm has too many beds so very little privacy, the girls dorm is beside reception on the ground floor so can be very loud.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Hi, we reserved for a room for two, with spare bedrooms. The check in is at 2 PM but you can come early and leave your luggages their for free. The room was bigger than expected and it has air conditionner in it. The bed was clean ans everything was working. The staff was super friendly. We went to the club night on friday and Craig was nice, it is a nice way to meet people from around the world. The elevator is a little small but no problem to fit both luggages and persons. It was nice because the hostel is quiet at night, secure (you have to show your card so they can let you come in) and the breakfeast is free every morning.

However, the wifi is a little slow but it didn't really bother us because it was only in the bedrooms. In the spare space, the wifi is fast. This hostel also sell metro and bus pass.

The location is great, everything is near and it is a nice city to walk by.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stayed here one night. Price is $20 IF you have a membership. I didn't have a membership so it was $25.13. For that price you get a huge men's dorm. If you're a woman I would guess they put you in the equivalent female dorm.
The dorm is MASSIVE, like 50 people massive. It was like a high school gymnasium. I was so tired from traveling that I didn't care, however if you're looking for a quieter nights sleep it might not be for you. The beds are nice although the mattress is very uncomfortable. The bathrooms are not private, not that I care. The showers were not that great.

I stayed here and also stayed at the main competition in town. The ONLY 2 advantages that this hostel has is the location to all of the cool bars downtown and a really huge bike rack to lock up your tired, traveling bicycle.

I personally would not recommend this place, just because I was turned off by the huge dorms and the non-private bathrooms. For the price they charged it wasn't a great value but it was a place to sleep for a night. The location is great however and the service was good. I would check the other main hostel on Pandora for a way better people vibe and for a nicer sleep.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank ToAFarOffLand
Reviewed November 20, 2012

This hostel is what hosteling was meant to be. Its not fancy, in fact its pretty basic, but clean, with lots of common areas, a pleasant staff, good local information and easy access to transit, ferries and other amenities.
It is an old style hostel. If you're looking for a boutique, go somewhere else. But if you're looking for a safe, economical and friendly place to base your Victoria experience from, this is it.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Will W
HI_Victoria, Staff at HI Victoria Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this fantastic review. You have put a smile on our face.

Look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Victoria!