“Superior location, average hostel, no complaints” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of HI Victoria Hostel

HI Victoria Hostel
Kennebunk, Maine
“Superior location, average hostel, no complaints”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

I booked here with some apprehensions after reading some negative reviews, but I had no complaints. The location of this hostel is superior, steps from the Victoria Clipper ferry, Empress Hotel, and the most upscale waterfront amenities. The women's dorm upstairs where I slept was only 1/2 full, had a good bathroom and worked fine. The only complaint was noise from rude people in the street talking too loud. Always bring ear plugs and eye masks when staying in hostels. Staff was great. Kitchen and laundry OK. Bulletin boards and leaflets suggested things to do and how to get to them. Because we were centrally located we could walk everywhere we wanted to go and could take a public bus to Butchart Gardens. The Tofino Bus picks up at the hostel. And I do recommend going to Tofino for a break from cities. Victoria was grand. Outside our door were good restaurants, fun pubs, interesting shops, fine museum, the waterfront, parks, Chinatown. The hostel was clean with quiet hostelers.

Room Tip: Inquire if there are rooms away from the street. Traffic was not noisy, but loud people talking out...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank maineexpl0rer
HI_Victoria, Staff at HI Victoria Hostel, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Thank you so much for your comments.

We are so glad to hear you had a nice stay and hope to see you on your next trip to Victoria!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

My sister had previously stayed with the HI chain in Vancouver, so we thought it would be good to give another go in Victoria.

I was not too impressed, as the staff that worked there did not seem to have any good tips about restaurants (which I see as quite basic information you should know if you work there). For instance, we asked for a nice restaurant, the staff member suggested something far away. We asked him, well, what about the restaurant across the street?

- Oh, yeah, that one. That's ok too.

There was just something about that answer which I thought was a bit off, like the member of staff didn't really know what he was doing.

For the price that you pay for one night (around 25 dollars), which I think is a lot, it was not worth the money. Internet is btw not included in that. I didn't bring my laptop so I had to use one of the stationaries they had there. Seriously, include internet in the stay, its really petty to ask people for money just to use the internet.

I found the dorms to be too big, with a lot of beds (duh, its a dorm (I know, but still)). Luckily we were there right before the real tourist season started. I can't imagine what it would be like to stay there then.

Room Tip: Skip the dorm if its possible.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your stay.

We are sorry to hear our property did not meet your expectations but hope you still enjoyed our fantastic location and clean, safe environment.

We are very sorry to hear about the lack of service provided by our front desk staff. It is top priority for us to provide our guests with useful, accurate information about our city. Our hostel is within walking distance to many fantastic restaurants and we are genuinely sorry this was not communicated to you.

Thank you for your thoughts on our Internet service. We shall reevaluate our policies on this.

Cheers,
HI Victoria Staff
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

I was more exploring the city of Victoria rather than spending much time here, the hostel was an adequate place for me to crash, it was quiet, well-situated and very clean and tidy. I did not really speak to the staff that much, but they were helpful in regards to holding onto my luggage when I didn't need it. I found the bathroom a little too exposed and my possessions had to be in the corner of my eye most of the time as they were left out in the open, also there were a lack of Powerpoints close to the beds, so I found it difficult to charge my Phone and Camera as well and I had to compete with other guests to use the only one situated near the bathroom in the big dorm.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you got out and spent lots of time exploring our beautiful city.

Thank you for your feedback on the outlet/plug situation as well.

Hope to see you on your next trip to Victoria
Wervik, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

Mixed feelings on this one. Good location, clean and comfortable with decent beds. A bit of a weird setup for washrooms though, but ok.
Staff however, something else. They're friendly enough but don't ask them anything. They'll send you to the most expensive store, recommend overpriced restaurants and just basically assume you have too much money to spend. But if you do want to go somewhere else and ask them about it, rather than admitting they don't know where something is, you'll find yourself on a wild goose-chase.
Finally, their info on just about anything is outdated. I'm writing this sitting in the fery terminal where the boat was supposed to leave in 15 minutes. But no, make it a 2 hour wait and pay a few bucks more. Should have used their internet more and figured things out myself!

So yeah: nice place, poor info

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
HI_VictoriaMgr, Manager at HI Victoria Hostel, responded to this review, May 26, 2012
Thank you for your feedback concerning your recent stay. Please be assurred that our information boards are updated on a regular and frequent basis. After checking our BC Ferrry information board I can find no "wrong Information" I do know that during the May long weekend BC Ferries cancelled 3 sailings due to mechanical problems which was totally out of our control. I have added the information that you must be at the ferry dock at least 15 minutes before sailing time otherwise BC Ferries will make you wait for the next ferry ( in case this is what resulted in your waiting time)
I assure you that all the staff here pride themselves on being helpful and have never assummed our guests "have too much money to spend" If the stores or restauraunts were "expensive" then I apologize for misunderstanding your questions at the front desk. We are currently training some new staff and obviously need to do a better job about the info we share with our guests, making sure it is correct and a reflection of our guests requests.
Sincere apologies for the difficulties and misunderstandings that seemed to happen. Again thank you for your review and for giving us the opportunity to "do better" for our guests
R Mark Holland-Manager-HI Victoria
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2011

This hostel was okay. kind of standard hardly got any sleep. if you are looking for short term quick stay then this is the right place for that

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

Was what you would expect from most HI hostels, clean, strict drinking policy and common areas that are comforting with a hint of library vibe in some areas. Staff was friendly and very helpful to point out places to eat and check out. Was nervous with the size of the male dorm room but it was actaully nothing to worry about. The washroom and showers were clean and tidy. Didnt use the kitchen, but it looked fine. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

The only place with beds BC-day. 40-bed dorms are huge, worked though, but not very good value for money. No breakfast etc. but nice staff. Interesting clientele, definitely not a party place and high average age of guests. Totally OK last resort when everything is booked out for a last-minute getaway.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends