“A pleasant place to come back to.”
Review of HI Victoria Hostel

HI Victoria Hostel
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I was more exploring the city of Victoria rather than spending much time here, the hostel was an adequate place for me to crash, it was quiet, well-situated and very clean and tidy. I did not really speak to the staff that much, but they were helpful in regards to holding onto my luggage when I didn't need it. I found the bathroom a little too exposed and my possessions had to be in the corner of my eye most of the time as they were left out in the open, also there were a lack of Powerpoints close to the beds, so I found it difficult to charge my Phone and Camera as well and I had to compete with other guests to use the only one situated near the bathroom in the big dorm.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
HI_Victoria, Staff at HI Victoria Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2012

We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you got out and spent lots of time exploring our beautiful city.

Thank you for your feedback on the outlet/plug situation as well.

Hope to see you on your next trip to Victoria

There are newer reviews for HI Victoria Hostel

Reviewed May 18, 2012

Mixed feelings on this one. Good location, clean and comfortable with decent beds. A bit of a weird setup for washrooms though, but ok.
Staff however, something else. They're friendly enough but don't ask them anything. They'll send you to the most expensive store, recommend overpriced restaurants and just basically assume you have too much money to spend. But if you do want to go somewhere else and ask them about it, rather than admitting they don't know where something is, you'll find yourself on a wild goose-chase.
Finally, their info on just about anything is outdated. I'm writing this sitting in the fery terminal where the boat was supposed to leave in 15 minutes. But no, make it a 2 hour wait and pay a few bucks more. Should have used their internet more and figured things out myself!

So yeah: nice place, poor info

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
HI_VictoriaMgr, Manager at HI Victoria Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2012

Thank you for your feedback concerning your recent stay. Please be assurred that our information boards are updated on a regular and frequent basis. After checking our BC Ferrry information board I can find no "wrong Information" I do know that during the May long weekend BC Ferries cancelled 3 sailings due to mechanical problems which was totally out of our control. I have added the information that you must be at the ferry dock at least 15 minutes before sailing time otherwise BC Ferries will make you wait for the next ferry ( in case this is what resulted in your waiting time)
I assure you that all the staff here pride themselves on being helpful and have never assummed our guests "have too much money to spend" If the stores or restauraunts were "expensive" then I apologize for misunderstanding your questions at the front desk. We are currently training some new staff and obviously need to do a better job about the info we share with our guests, making sure it is correct and a reflection of our guests requests.
Sincere apologies for the difficulties and misunderstandings that seemed to happen. Again thank you for your review and for giving us the opportunity to "do better" for our guests
R Mark Holland-Manager-HI Victoria

Reviewed December 18, 2011

This hostel was okay. kind of standard hardly got any sleep. if you are looking for short term quick stay then this is the right place for that

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Was what you would expect from most HI hostels, clean, strict drinking policy and common areas that are comforting with a hint of library vibe in some areas. Staff was friendly and very helpful to point out places to eat and check out. Was nervous with the size of the male dorm room but it was actaully nothing to worry about. The washroom and showers were clean and tidy. Didnt use the kitchen, but it looked fine. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 16, 2011

The only place with beds BC-day. 40-bed dorms are huge, worked though, but not very good value for money. No breakfast etc. but nice staff. Interesting clientele, definitely not a party place and high average age of guests. Totally OK last resort when everything is booked out for a last-minute getaway.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank BabSweden
Reviewed April 30, 2011

We had been travelling across Canada via train from Ottawa and staying in hostels most of the time. This one wasn't bad but it was the worst one we stayed in. I think the building itself lends to a sort of isolation between the floors and the rooms. The common areas are more open and are OK. Our room was extremely small and there were no shelves or anything for your stuff.

The staff couldn't give us much help on places to eat and at time there was a woman there who seemed to be upset when we needed to ask her a question.

I will stay somewhere else when I am in town next even though I have an HI membership.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank REL_11
Reviewed April 1, 2011

Stayed there for 2 nights in April 2011 and found it was 'ok'. It was undergoing a major renovation which the hostel closed for 3 weeks so a lot of thing could have changed since I stayed there. It looked a bit old on the outside and it isn't any different inside. The Staff at the front desk is very nice and helpful. The dorms were 20-bed dorm, I don't know if that has changed too!? We were about 6 women in the dorm. The only down turn about the hostel is that the room I stayed in was horribly cold and it seemed there was no isolation from the windows at all. Washrooms and showers were clean though. In defence for the hostel I have to say though that it is probably good value because you're not there to stay in your room all day. Location is brilliant and everything is close. I would probably choose it again for another stay even more now that they've renovated it.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo