“Absolutely amazing hotel experience.”

Oak Bay Beach Hotel
Ranked #3 of 52 Hotels in Victoria
Victoria, Canada
“Absolutely amazing hotel experience.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

My wife and I decided to acknowledge our wedding anniversary in August and try this completely re-built and brand new hotel in Oak Bay, a district of Victoria. We live land-locked, not seeing much ocean so to have one of the panoramic ocean view rooms as they called it, was an amazing experience.

The staff from the moment we arrived treated us like they really wanted us to be there and genuinely enjoyed what they were doing - and we encountered valet, food service and of course front desk staff. All very respectful and 'real' to us.

The Snug pub is where we chose to eat, and there are choices - the fine dining room looks intimate and beautiful and it was busy, but we are more casual folks. There was a buffet featuring curry the night we were there. My wife isn't fond of curry so chose the Snug burger which she said was excellent and full of flavor; I had the buffet and was extremely glad I did - excellent food and service from Amba was professional and friendly. We were then treated to the most spectacular 'moon-rise' we've ever seen! People were snapping photo's and all really seemed to understand the special experience we were being treated to, with the large moon rising over the ocean, nothing blocking our view......it was downright magical.

There are three outdoor hot pools which were quietly being enjoyed and we were prepared to go, however once we were back to our room and saw that the hotel had, on their own, acknowledged our anniversary (I had mentioned it in passing when I reserved I guess) with a couple of beautiful chocolate dipped strawberries and a card of happy wishes, we decided to sit on the balcony, drink some bubbly,and enjoy the moon.

Beds, linens, towels, all fluffy yet crisp at the same time - love love love the comfortable bed. Room was set up with all you need, top-class amenities and finishes, and impeccably clean.
Fireplace was a nice touch and would be romantic on a chilly night.

I can't say enough about the experience, the feeling that comes over you as you enter this hotel. It's so different, and special, and it succeeded in making us feel special that night - and it was a special occasion for us so that meant a great deal.

Well done - we'll be back - soon I hope and encourage others to experience this hotel!

Room Tip: Nothing beats the panoramic ocean view - worth a few extra dollars.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Skippy510109

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

Based out of Vancouver, I typically to Victoria for personal down time a couple of times a year. Last weekend, rather than staying at my usual downtown hotel, i decided to stay at Oak Bay Beach Hotel. First, the staff and management make this place. You can see it on the faces of all the front line employees. The 24 mineral spa (and sauna access) is right along the waterfront. The bed was so comfortable, bathrooms spectacular. Next time I will be sure to book my spa services ahead of time (my mistake). I was quite surprised to see how close the hotel was to downtown. A $15 cab into downtown, shuttle transport, or 10 min scenic drive. Never had a chance to enjoy dinner, but breakfast in the room was out of this world. I will be back and talking this place up.

Room Tip: All rooms look great, also, there is so much to enjoy on the property. Totally new product (soft op...
3 Thank BCMeg
OBBH_Team, Manager at Oak Bay Beach Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear BCMeg

We are so pleased that you made the short trip to Oak Bay to experience our Manor House by the sea.

Thank you for all your kind words and for helping us to spread the word about our Intentional Hospitality.

We look forward to welcoming you back again real soon!

Michelle Le Sage
Hotel Manager
Greenwich, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Oak bay is a very nice resort located in a high end suburban neighborhood outside of Victoria. The resort is new. The rooms are spacious. The furnishings are luxurious. Our standard room looked over oak trees and a condominium complex next door. We had a peek at the water when standing on the porch. We were very happy with our room's privacy. There was no need to close our sliding doors at night and we were happy to enjoy fresh air.

We ate at the Snug both nights and enjoyed the food and view. The chef accommodated my sensitive stomach needs one night by making a simple order of pasta. This was a very nice gesture and touch.

Oak Bay is an understated conservative resort. I would not label it adults only.The waterfront pool and hot tubs at Oak Bay are excellent. We were present at the pool when children were there. They were excited and having fun. My husband and I thought that during the summer season, signage designating an area for children may be advisable. Perhaps, at the front end of the pool. This would allow adults to swim in one area while children frolic in the other. Families could then feel free to have their children play and have fun without worry.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Reasonable50
Nanaimo, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stay in hotels around the world and can be critical of poor service, amenities etc. Our recent stay at the Oak Bay Beach Hotel was an experience that we will remember for a long time. From the time we checked in thru checkout, we were continually impressed by the quality of the service(obviously a lot of training), the amenities, the food in the Snug and the garden view room. They even made sure that we had a nice doggy bed for our shi tzu.
This is an over the top impressive hotel.

Room Tip: The views of the ocean are spectacular--worth upgrading
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

Absolutely amazeing hotel. Can't wait to go back! We stayed the weekend with our 5 month old daughter. We did miss not being able to enjoy the pub or lay by the pool all day but made the most of the stay with a baby. We ordered delicious room service everyday. Ate breakfast at Kate's Cafe and had wine and snacks in the conservatory. This hotel is as kid friendly as a hotel of this class can be. There is still ample room to sit down and have a drink and some takeout outside of the pub and dining room. We did eat lunch in the dining room and did not feel out of place at all with a couple other children in there at the same time. The pool always had multiple kids in it whether the hotel wants it or not. We can't wait to go back after such an amazing weekend.

• Stayed August 2013
Gig Harbor, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

I've rarely stayed anywhere that I truly felt like a burden, but my husband and I (with our baby) often felt that way over our two day stay at the resort. I feel badly having to leave some poor comments, because it really is a NICE property, the rooms are lovely, and most of the staff is kind. I've never left a very average/poor review before.

WE LOVED: The aesthetics of the property. Beautiful view, pools, decor, and a clean and comfortable room. We were walk-on passengers on the ferry and we had a complimentary pick-up service to and from the hotel a couple of times and all the drivers were helpful and friendly.

This was our first trip with our 11 month old baby. He is a happy, happy, happy child who sleeps through the night and never let out a peep of crying the entire time we were there. The hotel provided us a playpen for him to sleep in, so that was nice we didn't have to haul ours over. He slept in the bathroom without any issues.

NEEDS WORK: I wouldn't say this hotel is family friendly. We felt like a burden because we had our baby with us. The pub doesn't allow children under 18, therefor we never got to sit down for a meal together the entire time we were there. Keep in mind, our son is a BABY. We were told we had to sit in the sitting area off the main lobby. So I ended up sitting on the floor and my husband sat on a couch while we hunched over a small coffee table trying to eat our meals. Our baby was quietly playing and crawling around on the floor near us when he was done eating and while most of the guests smiled at him and commented on how cute he was, some of the guests were giving us dirty looks (not the hotel's fault), but again made us feel like we had nowhere to go and eat!

One of the days we tried to sit outside and eat at a table because we saw other guests doing that, and they told us we couldn't because it was against hotel policy. I pointed out that other guests were eating out there, and we were told that sometimes they let people eat out there and management had made an exception for them. Just not us? There is another restaurant that is more expensive/fancy/quiet and we didn't feel comfortable eating in there with our little guy. The cafe has good things for breakfast, but we didn't try other meals there. So if you come here with kids, your eating choices at the hotel are extremely limited.

The pools are a "quiet area", which is great for most guests (if it were just my husband and I there I would love that!). Our baby didn't make much noise in the pool but I know if we had older children I wouldn't be able to come stay at this hotel with them.

The hotel is mostly quiet, although we were above the pub's outdoor eating and couldn't leave our sliding glass door open because of the noise. The doors in the hallways also slammed shut, so we shoved a bunch of towels under the doors to try and block the noise.

I had to ask for our room to be cleaned three times (even after nicely telling them we were on a time limit because of our baby needing to nap and not having people coming in the room to clean...).

All of the things I listed above would be NO BIG DEAL if we were staying somewhere that doesn't pride itself on being an accommodating, exclusive, boutique resort.

The last disappointing thing concerns a brownie. On my birthday, after our baby was asleep, my husband went downstairs to the dining restaurant to see if he could get a piece of dessert TO GO to bring back to the room for me. He was told that they were full of reservations and booked up, so the answer was no. He said again that he didn't want to sit down, that he would wait in the lobby and take it with him to go, and was again told no. So he headed next door to the pub, where they sloppily boxed up a brick-hard, chalky brownie. They dumped some graham crackers on the bottom and threw in a tomato. And then asked him to pay $9. Ridiculous. We didn't eat it, were too tired to take it back downstairs, and ended up going to bed on my birthday without a treat. The next morning at check-out I did mention the brownie, and said again that we were happy to pay for it, but I thought they should know that we didn't find it to be good quality. They did remove the brownie from our bill and apologized, so that was nice.

OVERALL: It's beautiful. I think my husband and I might stay here again if we were to travel to Victoria by ourselves, but I would never again visit with our baby.

Room Tip: Away from the pub, away from the elevator.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank ALaugh
OBBH_Team, Manager at Oak Bay Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear ALaugh

Thank you so much for providing us with your very valuable feedback about your recent stay with us.

We are very pleased to hear that you found the property to be beautiful and appreciate your kind words about our team. We are saddened to hear that we failed to provide you with a more memorable “family” experience.

As you noted we do have our family friendly Kate’s Café available for light breakfast, lunch and dinner along with our Dining Room, which is open to guests of all ages; and though the Snug Pub is a licensed pub and therefore patrons must be over 19 year of age, we are happy to seat families in our sunny conservatory, where they can enjoy the full Snug menu in a family friendly setting.

Our apologies that you were not given the opportunity of dining on the seaside deck off of the Grand Lobby. This is an area where we encourage our guests to enjoy a coffee, beverage or light snack and it should have been made available to you and your family during your visit. We do take all of our guests’ feedback very seriously and we will use the feedback you have provided to work with our food and beverage and front desk teams to more thoroughly communicate our family friendly options.

It appears that we failed to provide you with Our Best with your husband’s efforts of providing you with a birthday treat. This request should have been a simple one with your dessert beautifully plated and presented warm by our in-room-dining team. We will also work with our culinary team on using an alternate garnish than the local gooseberries that can sometimes be mistaken for our heirloom tomatoes.

We are very surprised to hear that you experienced noise from the hallways. Our guest room doors are constructed of solid wood and should provide for a noise free experience. We will be sure to inspect the door closures on all of the guestroom doors in the corridors.

We are happy to hear that you and your husband would consider a visit back to the Oak Bay Beach Hotel and assure you that you will find improvements with our family friendly offerings and discover that this is indeed a hotel that can be enjoyed by the whole family.

Michelle Le Sage
Hotel Manager
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed three nights in the Oak Bay August 15 2013, the hotel is beautiful located and the rooms are clean and nicely decorated. the staff is absolutely wonderful, especially the people that work the nightshift, waking up at 5 am as always wondering in the lobby, they brought me coffee each morning!
All 4 of us recommend the Oak Bay to all that will visit Victoria in the future,

Karin Horn de Lieme