“Good for couples, not for families.”

Oak Bay Beach Hotel
Ranked #3 of 49 Hotels in Victoria
Gig Harbor, Washington
“Good for couples, not for families.”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I've rarely stayed anywhere that I truly felt like a burden, but my husband and I (with our baby) often felt that way over our two day stay at the resort. I feel badly having to leave some poor comments, because it really is a NICE property, the rooms are lovely, and most of the staff is kind. I've never left a very average/poor review before.

WE LOVED: The aesthetics of the property. Beautiful view, pools, decor, and a clean and comfortable room. We were walk-on passengers on the ferry and we had a complimentary pick-up service to and from the hotel a couple of times and all the drivers were helpful and friendly.

This was our first trip with our 11 month old baby. He is a happy, happy, happy child who sleeps through the night and never let out a peep of crying the entire time we were there. The hotel provided us a playpen for him to sleep in, so that was nice we didn't have to haul ours over. He slept in the bathroom without any issues.

NEEDS WORK: I wouldn't say this hotel is family friendly. We felt like a burden because we had our baby with us. The pub doesn't allow children under 18, therefor we never got to sit down for a meal together the entire time we were there. Keep in mind, our son is a BABY. We were told we had to sit in the sitting area off the main lobby. So I ended up sitting on the floor and my husband sat on a couch while we hunched over a small coffee table trying to eat our meals. Our baby was quietly playing and crawling around on the floor near us when he was done eating and while most of the guests smiled at him and commented on how cute he was, some of the guests were giving us dirty looks (not the hotel's fault), but again made us feel like we had nowhere to go and eat!

One of the days we tried to sit outside and eat at a table because we saw other guests doing that, and they told us we couldn't because it was against hotel policy. I pointed out that other guests were eating out there, and we were told that sometimes they let people eat out there and management had made an exception for them. Just not us? There is another restaurant that is more expensive/fancy/quiet and we didn't feel comfortable eating in there with our little guy. The cafe has good things for breakfast, but we didn't try other meals there. So if you come here with kids, your eating choices at the hotel are extremely limited.

The pools are a "quiet area", which is great for most guests (if it were just my husband and I there I would love that!). Our baby didn't make much noise in the pool but I know if we had older children I wouldn't be able to come stay at this hotel with them.

The hotel is mostly quiet, although we were above the pub's outdoor eating and couldn't leave our sliding glass door open because of the noise. The doors in the hallways also slammed shut, so we shoved a bunch of towels under the doors to try and block the noise.

I had to ask for our room to be cleaned three times (even after nicely telling them we were on a time limit because of our baby needing to nap and not having people coming in the room to clean...).

All of the things I listed above would be NO BIG DEAL if we were staying somewhere that doesn't pride itself on being an accommodating, exclusive, boutique resort.

The last disappointing thing concerns a brownie. On my birthday, after our baby was asleep, my husband went downstairs to the dining restaurant to see if he could get a piece of dessert TO GO to bring back to the room for me. He was told that they were full of reservations and booked up, so the answer was no. He said again that he didn't want to sit down, that he would wait in the lobby and take it with him to go, and was again told no. So he headed next door to the pub, where they sloppily boxed up a brick-hard, chalky brownie. They dumped some graham crackers on the bottom and threw in a tomato. And then asked him to pay $9. Ridiculous. We didn't eat it, were too tired to take it back downstairs, and ended up going to bed on my birthday without a treat. The next morning at check-out I did mention the brownie, and said again that we were happy to pay for it, but I thought they should know that we didn't find it to be good quality. They did remove the brownie from our bill and apologized, so that was nice.

OVERALL: It's beautiful. I think my husband and I might stay here again if we were to travel to Victoria by ourselves, but I would never again visit with our baby.

Room Tip: Away from the pub, away from the elevator.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank ALaugh
OBBH_Team, Manager at Oak Bay Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear ALaugh

Thank you so much for providing us with your very valuable feedback about your recent stay with us.

We are very pleased to hear that you found the property to be beautiful and appreciate your kind words about our team. We are saddened to hear that we failed to provide you with a more memorable “family” experience.

As you noted we do have our family friendly Kate’s Café available for light breakfast, lunch and dinner along with our Dining Room, which is open to guests of all ages; and though the Snug Pub is a licensed pub and therefore patrons must be over 19 year of age, we are happy to seat families in our sunny conservatory, where they can enjoy the full Snug menu in a family friendly setting.

Our apologies that you were not given the opportunity of dining on the seaside deck off of the Grand Lobby. This is an area where we encourage our guests to enjoy a coffee, beverage or light snack and it should have been made available to you and your family during your visit. We do take all of our guests’ feedback very seriously and we will use the feedback you have provided to work with our food and beverage and front desk teams to more thoroughly communicate our family friendly options.

It appears that we failed to provide you with Our Best with your husband’s efforts of providing you with a birthday treat. This request should have been a simple one with your dessert beautifully plated and presented warm by our in-room-dining team. We will also work with our culinary team on using an alternate garnish than the local gooseberries that can sometimes be mistaken for our heirloom tomatoes.

We are very surprised to hear that you experienced noise from the hallways. Our guest room doors are constructed of solid wood and should provide for a noise free experience. We will be sure to inspect the door closures on all of the guestroom doors in the corridors.

We are happy to hear that you and your husband would consider a visit back to the Oak Bay Beach Hotel and assure you that you will find improvements with our family friendly offerings and discover that this is indeed a hotel that can be enjoyed by the whole family.

Michelle Le Sage
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed three nights in the Oak Bay August 15 2013, the hotel is beautiful located and the rooms are clean and nicely decorated. the staff is absolutely wonderful, especially the people that work the nightshift, waking up at 5 am as always wondering in the lobby, they brought me coffee each morning!
All 4 of us recommend the Oak Bay to all that will visit Victoria in the future,

Karin Horn de Lieme

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Karin H
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Having to book a wedding venue from out of town can be quite stressful but the staff were extremely helpful and easy to deal with. When we arrived for the rehearsal I saw the grounds for the first time and was overjoyed by the beautiful entrance, updated lobby with a hint of the old era and exquisite grounds.

The rehearsal ran so smoothly, thanks to all the help of the staff and on the 'day of' I had nothing to worry about as each person on the team took care of coordinating our wedding ceremony.

We have some incredible pictures from the day and so many happy memories. Thank you to the staff for making this such an incredibly wonderful experience. I look forward to returning to visit (maybe for our one-year anniversary) :D

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Meesh N
OBBH_Team, Manager at Oak Bay Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Meesh N

We are so delighted to hear that we were able to contribute in the creation of some many wonderful memories on your special day. We too look forward to welcoming you back for your anniversary or for your next special Island getaway!

Michelle Le Sage
Hotel Manager
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

The Oak Bay Beach Hotel is one of the nicest places I've stayed anywhere. It's a new hotel built on the site of an historic hotel which was torn down a few years ago and they've done a nice job of retaining the ambience of a truly first class hotel. We did not eat at the main restaurant or visit the "Snug" bar but we did eat our breakfasts at Kate's Cafe and found the pastries, oatmeal, and quiche to be excellent.
The hotel is about a fifteen minute drive from downtown so we were glad we had driven our car in order to get around. The immediate neighborhood is a high end suburb so it's very nice for walking around but we had never been to Vancouver Island before so our main plan was to do some exploring in and around the Victoria area. We found Victoria to be very easy to drive in -- even parking near downtown was free and easy to find. I think the hotel has a shuttle which will take you around, though, so getting around, even without a car, should be pretty easy.
I did find the reservation part of the website a bit hard to use. We were planning a six day trip and when I put in our dates I was directed to a very expensive suite, well beyond what we needed or were willing to pay, for all six nights. So I called the reservation number and learned that the hotel was sold out of regular guest rooms on one night of the six we were planning to stay (night 4) with only the suite available that one night, so the website was giving us the price as if we were staying the whole time in the suite. After some discussion and calling back and forth, we ended up staying three nights and going to another hotel for the rest of our trip. We liked the Oak Bay Beach Hotel so well, we considered coming back for nights 5 and 6 but, well you know, enough shuffling around is enough. We'll probably come back some day, though. Victoria is a beautiful city and this hotel is very much a part of that.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mat M
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed August 19, 2013

The Oak Bay Beach Hotel is one of my new favorite hotels. It is gorgeous! The rooms are modern, comfortable, spotless, and very well appointed. We reserved a regular room and were upgraded to a suite upon check-in with no additional cost. The suite had a kitchen, separate dining area and living room, and a bedroom that could be shut off from the rest of the suite by pocket doors or left open. The bathroom was huge with a tub and a large shower. There were two sinks and plenty of counter space. We also had a private balcony with a table and two chairs on it. The location of the hotel is beautiful! It sits right on the ocean. In fact, the three heated mineral water pools were just feet from the Pacific. Talk about a magnificent view! We thoroughly enjoyed the pools after long days of kayaking or just sightseeing. The spa was wonderful and the staff were friendly and professional. The Dining Room overlooks the ocean and has a wonderful menu. The food was always delicious. The more casual restaurant called Kate's was very quaint with a historic feel and served delicious soup, sandwiches, salads and other light fare. We also had room service breakfast several mornings which was also delicious and very prompt. The hotel staff were friendly and always willing to go the extra mile to make sure you were happy. The concierge, Elaine Harrison, was extremely helpful in suggesting outings for us as well as making all of the arrangements. The hotel also has a complimentary shuttle which made getting around much easier. You just need to check their schedule a day in advance to make arrangements. We stayed five nights but wish we could have stayed longer. We will definitely stay at the Oak Bay on our next visit to Victoria.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank tucker7445
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 18, 2013

As an experienced world traveller, I must do something rare by giving this hotel a full 5 star rating. From the time of booking to checking out, the service and overall experience was beyond our expectations. The staff are clearly trained with the highest standard of excellence and customer service. From the complimentary ''butler'' service to the pool side wait staff, the experience was flawless. "Campbell" was very attentive poolside, making sure we had everything we needed and "Josh" was very helpful at the concierge desk.

Our room was large, spotlessly clean and welcoming. The hotel did not skimp on decor and the finishings were high quality. We appreciated the turn down service as well. Comfortable bed and pillows, lots of space, sliding glass doors, slider doors between the bath tub and the bed area, small kitchen galley with microwave, kettle, dishes and fridge, ambient lighting in the bathroom, over-sized bath towels, heated floors, safe, hairdryer, tons of towels....nothing was missed.

Food: excellent all around. Kate's Cafe served fresh coffee and loose leaf tea, fresh in house baked croissants, oatmeal porridge, homemade bread, meat pies, sandwiches and more. Reasonably priced but excellent quality, fresh and delicious. The girls working at Kates were very professional and gave top notch service one would expect from a high end restaurant.

Spa and Mineral pools: The pools were large, mostly quiet and the perfect temperature. Except for the few kids that came to play in the water, it was mostly adults. The steam room was well kept as was the changing rooms with complimentary towels, robes and sandals. The spa service was very good. My facial appointment was worth the $120. There is also a small but sufficient gym.

You can take a brisk walk down the main road and find deer close enough to touch or go a little further and sit on the two blue chairs that are perched on the rocks in the bay. Tons of wild life and floral beauty as you walk past perfectly groomed lawns, coastal homes and private golf greens.

The fact that this hotel is less than a year old, it's location just outside of busy Victoria, and the breathtaking views from the lobby and the pools make it the icing on the cake of this full 5 star beach hotel. I would highly recommend and hope to return in the near future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Rivergirl1
Louisville, CO
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I can't imagine how this hotel could improve on anything. We had such a wonderful stay there! Just sad it was so short. The hotel is completely luxurious yet kid-friendly, two things which don't always go hand-in-hand.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family