Surf Motel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Victoria
See available hotels
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
Embassy Inn(Victoria)
  • Pool
All reviewsogden pointdallas roadolympic mountainsvictoria's secretjames bayretro stylefisherman's wharfbeacon hill parkthird floorpots and pansshort walkbed was very comfortableinner harborlocation is greatclean roomsno air conditioningbreakwater
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stay in Surf Motel every time we come to Victoria so it's obvious we really love it. Before we discovered it we stayed in other motels and hotels and there is just no comparison. The location is fantasic - amazing views, you can just spend time gazing through the window. The rooms have balconies overlooking the ocean. I've just spotted five harbour seals cruising along the shore. And then there is more - just on the other side of the street is Ogden Point - my favourite walk is on the breakwall but there are also lots of walks along the coast. Ogden Point Cafe has amazing food and location and has just undergone renovations.
Ogden Point Dive Shop is just on the other side of the street so it's also a perfect location for divers.
The motel is walking distance to shops (James Bay - 10 minutes - more cafes there), Fishermen's Wharf (15 minutes) and the city (20 minutes). The rooms are spacious, large flat tvs, free internet, tea and coffee provided, well equipped kitchen with a big fridge. Despite its 1960s style the motel has lots of charm, is very clean and well maintained.
The motel is a family-run business, incredibly friendly and helpful staff.
If you really worry about noise and like having your window open it may not be best accommodation for you, the street next to the hotel is a bit busy.....

Room Tip: Top floor (second) has the best views, some rooms have two Queen bedds, some one bed - need to ask for your preference
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Barbara N
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We really enjoyed this location, our room and the staff. What a great every changing ocean view! How refreshing to see the ocean, the fishing boats, ships, sailboats, tugs and cruise ships rather than more buildings. I enjoy sleeping to the sound of the waves and I don't mind the seagulls. We were only minutes away from downtown, and closer to the breakwater, and a great little restaurant the "Ogden Cafe".
Our room was very clean, recently renovated, but keeping that retro charm. The small kitchenette with table, stove, fridge, dishes and 'a kettle' for tea drinkers was a wonderful convenience. Our mattresses were great to sleep on and we had two pillows each, a great comforter and a fleece inner blanket. The wireless internet was also a plus.
It is a family-owned motel and the family and other staff were great. As a small hotel you seldom saw other guests. It was affordable and convenient. When I go back to Victoria, this is where I will stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank gladfrogproductions
Reviewed August 21, 2012

First, the pro's: nice enough motel, staff was friendly and helpful. Outstanding view from the room. Bathroom was spotless and looked to be fairly recently re-done. Located in a neighborhood of older homes, many of which are being/have been restored, so if you enjoy strolling through those types of areas, then that's a plus for you, and the downtown/shopping areas can be reached on foot.

And the con's: as another reviewer mentioned, the city busses are noisy. Stayed a Saturday and Sunday, and as of 10 pm Saturday the busses were still going strong, every 10 minutes or so. Who knows how late they run? Thankfully, I feel asleep. Sunday was not a problem at all. The seagulls make a crazy racket starting way too early and going for an hour, then they seemed to quiet down. So consider packing a pair of earplugs. Mattresses are worn out; they dip quite a bit in the middle, and the blankets are the thin polyester type that don't breathe well.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Fast_Eddy33
Reviewed July 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on our recent vacation to Victoria. We had never been to Victoria before but we knew we wanted an ocean view hotel. This hotel met all of our expectations and more! Every room has an amazing view of the endless ocean. Many "oceanfront" hotels were in the bays so you were looking across the bay to other hotels or bldgs. The view also showed the cruise ships nearby and a great walking path along the beach (right across the street from the hotel). We did not rent a car but were only a 10-15 minute walk to the fisherman's wharf and downtown. They also offered free parking but it looked like only 3-4 parking spaces. However, the spaces were readily available when we were there.

Our room was very clean and well maintained. I knew the bldg must be quite old but the rooms and building had obviously been updated and were in great condition. We cooked breakfast every morning and ate on the balcony (we moved the small dining table out onto the balcony). Kitchen was well stocked, but small. However, plenty for the two of us. The sheets and towels were very clean and the bathroom was in great condition.

The only negative is the noise from the street. We had read reviews beforehand so we were prepared. I didn't notice the noise the first couple nights but the third night we went to bed a little earlier and it was a Sat night so maybe the buses ran later? Anyway, eventually the bus stopped coming by and it was just a white noise of traffic. Maybe bring a white noise machine if you go to bed early. During the night I slept great so it was quiet most of the night and early morning.

I really loved this hotel and would absolutely choose it again over more pricey chain hotels. Service was very nice and it had a family-owned feel. I loved the views, cleanliness, affordable price and location in a quiet neighborhood. We walked to grocery stores and were a short walk to the bus line that takes you to the ferry boat.

I think this hotel could really do more in terms of marketing because it is such a great place but not easy to find on-line and didn't seem very busy. I hope they get more business from my review. They deserve it!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank glcp
Reviewed July 21, 2012

This is a great motel in so many ways. Our group had two rooms in the motel and also the cottage. My brother was thrilled with the cottage for his family. The motel rooms have a functional kitchen, amazing views, big balconies, comfy beds and lots of space. The bathrooms are a little dated, but everything worked well. (You might bring your own bar of soap, they only supply a tiny one.) The cottage had a large kitchen, 3 bedrooms, and a good sized livingroom.

All the staff we had contact with were great. While the location is not downtown, it is across the street from the Ogden Breakwater and the water. The cruise ship terminal is just down the street and every evening we were there so were the ships. Walking on the breakwater is interesting as you can see star fish, seals, sea birds and other sea life. We enjoyed watching the various ships and boats pass by.

There is a grocery store and liquor store within walking distance. Which was handy as we made breakfast in our rooms. (The liquor store was for later in the day....just to be clear.)

This is the second time my husband and I have stayed here and would book here again if we were in Victoria.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family