“A profound disappointment”
Review of Island Wok

Island Wok
Ranked #944 of 1,289 Restaurants in Victoria
Reviewed June 20, 2018

We arrived with 40 people from a bus tour and all stood in line at the buffet together. Many of the receptacles were empty and not filled when we went back 10 mins later. The food was very salty. What looked like squid turned out to be flavourless whitefish, there were very few vegetables,but lots of rice and noodles. Everything had been prepared well in advance. Nothing seemed fresh or imaginative.

Reviewed March 4, 2018

I had a craving for Asian food and Island Wok was in my area. I arrived at 7:00 and chose the buffet. It was a disaster. Most of the trays were empty and the few that had food were cold. What was labeled shrimp were sliced said so tough you could not chew it. The chicken dishes were all made from sawn up drum sticks with big chunks of bone in them. They were cold as ice. The buffet basically looked like it had been there all day. When I complained about the quality of the food the manager said I came too late. Well if it was too late why didn’t they tell me. She charged me $14 which I refused to pay. I offered $5 for the wonton I had we settled on $8. This was not having a meal. I was robbed and cheated by Island Wok.

Reviewed February 10, 2018 via mobile

Island Wok as it’s currently named is a terrible buffet restaurant across from Uptown in Saanich. The food is mediocre at best and I doubt they would pass a food safety inspection because the on and only time I ate there nearly 5 years ago I got diarrhea within 30 minutes after eating there!! Also, this restaurant has gone through 3 or 4 name changes in less than 5 years which leads me to believe that when they do get shut down by the health inspectors, that they simply reopen under a different name!

Reviewed November 17, 2017

Save yourself the trip. It's hard to believe restaurants like this still exist anywhere, let alone Victoria. The food was very poor quality, the genre mixed and confused (french fries, ice cream, bland wonton soup, dim sum and jello). I have driven by so many times and I thought "why not give it a try" with my kids since they love Chinese food and it was on the way home. We weren't greeted at all, by anyone, found a table, and helped ourselves. It was that simple. Everything felt sticky and greasy, and the food was quite overcooked, bland and saved only by the fortune cookie. We will never go back to this restaurant

1  Thank Phil C
Reviewed June 6, 2017 via mobile

Came here for buffet. Recommended to us by a friend that said it was really good........first of all we came in and wasn't seated or served drinks. This was a total do it yourself buffett. No tea brought to the table. Food that was left in the chaffing dishes was very little and hard. Dim sum was limited to rice and a leaf with no flavor. Had to ask for won ton and when it was brought out it was plain no flavor again. Plus no signage for any of the food so it was a choice of sweet and sour mystery meat . Won't be back. Lucky village over in Admirals is way better plus the staff are more interactive and present.

2  Thank Anna-Theresa B