TripAdvisor
Victoria
Post
Inbox
Search
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed August 29, 2018

This place is interesting, and fits in no mold. The house and gardens ought to be really neat, but are a bit in the rough. The owners were perfectly nice, but did not introduce themselves, and did not go out of their way to help us in any way... although they were helpful when asked. The place feels like it ought to be a B&B, but there is no breakfast.

The location is a bit off the beaten path, but it is a short walk to Fort Street, which has a nice street scene, so we did not have any trouble with it.

The really odd part was the room ... we were in the Carriage House. It was nice, and was quite clean, and the bed was very comfortable. The geometry, however, was weird ... nice kitchenette, which we did use, because Victoria has such good food. Downstairs is a tiny living room, and upstairs in a loft is a tiny bedroom. The bedroom is neat, but midnight trips to the bathroom could be near-fatal on the near-vertical stair going up and down. It was fun, but not especially convenient. And if you are there with luggage, there really is nowhere to put your stuff and still have a living room in which to spend time. Some trouble with getting stable temperature out of the shower--it was either all the way hot or all the way cold.

So all in all, this place was nice, but not ideal. We really appreciated how sparking clean it was, and it was nice not to be in the same cookie-cutter hotel room as always. But it just wasn't pulled off elegantly.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2018

I stayed in the Carriage house of the Postern Gate Inn. I came in late and my instructions for getting in were in the mailbox and it was easy to follow. The place is compact but very nice. They clearly state in their advertisements that you must be able to climb stairs to access the loft space for the bed and this is TRUE, so be sure you can. What they didn't say is that you can't bring up your suitcase as there is no room for it, the bed literally takes up all the space with perhaps 12" in each side and maybe less at the foot of the bed where the ladder comes up, so one needs to be adept at maneuvering in small spaces. I didn't care about this much, but some might. I kept my suitcase in the living room and it worked for me. The bed was lovely, extremely comfortable, the cottage was very quiet. Everything was modern and well laid out and clean and lovely. Nice kitchen, nice living, bathroom. It is about one mile from town which was again, fine with me, I made the trip to town twice a day - I like to walk, but for those who do not, this would not be your place - or you would need to take a cab, which is doable. They do have other accommodations so if the Carriage house does not work for you, perhaps other rooms would. Do not depend on Uber, I do not think Uber is available there. I would definitely stay there again, the innkeeper was very helpful, told me places to go and how to get there and it was safe to walk anywhere.

Room tip: Ask about each room to see which one might suit you, not all of them are designed for every person.
Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed July 9, 2018

This is quite a little gem. A former house tucked in amongst apartments. Contains 4 nicely appointed rooms. All rooms have their own kitchens and baths. Very quiet neighborhood. Room was a little warm, but the provided fans helped with that. Private patios as well. Could definitely stay here again. Check in and check out were easy as can be.

Date of stay: July 2018
Reviewed October 31, 2017

We stayed in the garden suite with our own patio.
The room was spacious, perfectly clean, lovely furnished with small details such as lavender placed on the bed and night stand for that fresh smell.

Great location: close to the centre but located in a quite street.

Too bad we only stayed for a single night, this place is a gem.

Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2017 via mobile

Beautiful inn, only stayed one night but would love to stay longer. Perfect location, quiet street and fully loaded. We will definitely stay again if given the chance. We stayed in the garden suite. A few steps down from front door, the decor is spot on, patio doors that lead to a seating area outside.

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple