“The Breakfast worth the trip” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gingerbread Cottage Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Victoria
Gingerbread Cottage Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #26 of 94 Victoria B&B and Inns
Abbotsford, Canada
“The Breakfast worth the trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

We stayed for one night while visiting friends in Victoria and we will be back!
Vanessa and husband were awesome. They were so helpful and friendly and
thought of everything. We stayed in the Klimt room with a private outdoor deck.
There were special lotions, coffee, teas, movies, such a comfy bed, lots of great
art and of course the breakfast! Really this was a first class meal. I think this is the best breakfast I have ever had. I really did not want to leave the breakfast table! Her baked goods
are straight out of a magazine and world class. Her options for breakfast main course
were great! We loved the birds, the hosts, the home and the meal. The location is awesome as well. You are just a couple of blocks from downtown and all the action yet this is a very quiet neighborhood.

Room Tip: no pool or fitness center - just not needed!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lori14181725

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2012

We stayed at the Gingerbread Cottage for 3 nights in the Lavender room (with private deck) in early May. We had a fantastic stay! Both Vanessa an Dean were very hospitable hosts... Vanessa's breakfasts were amazing to say the least. My partner is celiac and she went to the trouble to bake him his own fresh gluten free scones every morning. He said they were delicious... and in fact she made so many of them that he coudln't finish them all at breakfast so she gave us a little bag to take them with us to snack on the rest of the day! She also let me take a piece of her wonderful strudel and her rhubarb pie up to my room so I could eat it later because I was just so full from the tremendous breakfasts!

Other reviewers had said they didn't need lunch after her breakfasts and I thought it was an exageration, but it really is true!

The room was very nice and I am very glad we got the room with the deck. We had beautiful sunshine and it was nice just to sit out there after a long day of walking just to kick back and relax.

The *only* negative part of the experience was that there would be no way to sleep in even if we had wanted to. One of the cockatoos is very, very loud in the morning and becomes your 8:15 am alarm clock if you want her to or not! Good thing we were getting up anyway to enjoy the amazing breakfasts!

We will stay again if we go back to Victoria. Location was good for a walk into town provided the weather is decent and you have time to kill.

Room Tip: If you can, splurge for the deck... it was well worth it!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MlovesG
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2012

We stayed two nights at the Gingerbread ottage. The location was great, walking distance to everything in Victoria. A very attractive room with a private outdoor patio.

The breakfast was outstanding. The onwer is a gourmet chef. I had a smoked salmon omelet, homemade bread and strudels and fresh fruit for dessert. I was so full I skipped lunch, even though we spent the day walking around Victoria.

I would definitely stay again. It was worth it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank djulius
Fort Langley, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2012

My wife and I were at Gingerbread Cottage in Dec. 2011 to visit family in Victoria.. We enjoyed the best breakfast we have ever had in a B and B. Location was great for walks on the cliffs above the beaches. The collection of antiques were a little overwhelming for me. A few less would work better for me.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Simon B
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2011

We stayed at the Gingerbread Cottage in August 2011 and enjoyed the experience so much that we returned again late October 2011 simply to have a repeat! After looking at the numerous glowing reviews, we would endorse virtually all the positive comments. Worth also noting that most of the amazing breakfast foods are not only freshly prepared/baked, but also contain organic and/or locally sourced foods.
We have certainly found Vanessa & Dean hospitable hosts and have no hesitation in recommending their B & B to those people looking for a Victorian style ambience and, we daresay, virtually unique with the abundance of period type decor items. The two parrots and 'well built' friendly resident cat 'Butler' are also a nice touch.
Neil & Muriel

Room Tip: For later in the year, a room at the rear of the cottage, with attached sun decks, provides ample su...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank roamingkiwi70
Bend, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

We had a wonderful stay at the Gingerbread cottage B&B. Our room was very quaint, comfortable and fun. There is a little museum's worth of collectibles, antiques, heritage and culture found in all the little nooks and cubbies, walls and tables of the house.

The breakfast was fabulous, and highly recommended.

Vanessa waqs very helpful in suggesting things to do and see on our short stay. We enjoyed walking to the sea wall, and following the path to the docks and harbor area of Victoria. The sights and sounds of Victoria are beautiful. We also enjoyed our tour of Butchart Gardens. The flowers in full bloom were amazing. What a beautiful treasure in B.C.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Edmonton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

My fiance and I had planned to take my father to Victoria for his 65th birthday /retirement at the beginning of September. We booked well in advance and were looking forward to staying here. Unfortunately, a close family member of ours is terminally ill and we decided to postpone our trip.

I phoned Vanessa 16 days prior to our stay to inform her of the cancellation and was utterly appalled by her reaction. She had the audacity to say, "This is unbelievable! Do you know how many other people have been calling to book during that week?!" She then slammed the phone down but didn't actually hang up, so thinking she had intended to put me on hold, I stayed on the line and listened to her complain about me for a few minutes until I finally disconnected.

The reviews left by others made Vanessa seem like a gracious host, but I suppose it takes a situation like this to see one's true personality. My intention was to rebook at the Gingerbread Cottage when we rescheduled our trip, but I will certainly be staying elsewhere. And I caution any one whose life has the possibility of unforeseen circumstances from booking here as well.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank juliabee222
bistrita6, Owner at Gingerbread Cottage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, September 12, 2011
Quote from the above review:
"Stayed August 2011, traveled with family"

This reviewer said that she stayed here with her family in August.
She never stayed here.

She seems very frustrated and we empathize with her, even said a prayer for her.
As for her 5 month long hold on her two rooms with a total of 12 nights and a cancellation one day before cancellation period runs out ...... we accepted it gracefully, with no charge.